The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jets re-sign F Mathieu Perreault [4 year X $4.125M AAV]

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888907

Winnipeg, MB - The Winnipeg Jets have announced they have agreed to terms on a four-year contract extension with forward Mathieu Perreault worth an average annual value of $4.125 million starting in the 2017-18 season.  

Perreault, 28, is entering his third season with the Jets after signing a three-year deal as a free agent in 2014. Last season, the native of Drummondville, Qc had 41 points (9G, 32A) in 71 games. It was the second-consecutive season he had 41 points for the Jets. 

Originally selected by the Washington Capitals in the sixth-round, 177th overall in 2006, Perreault has suited up in 361 NHL games with the Capitals, Anaheim Ducks and Jets. Over his career he has 195 points, tallying 78 goals and 117 assists. He has a career-best 43 points (18G, 25A) with Anaheim in 2013-14.

Certainly not bad for a pretty productive guy who's been a reasonably important piece for the Jets since joining their team. He's in his prime right now so good for him for getting a bit more security with a four year deal.

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

The definition of "Swiss Army Knife Player". When a person/line is struggling, they put them with Perreault and he clicks with them immediately. Can do it all. Great cap and term.

A player like this is great to have for 2 mill.  If you have to pay that kind of money then it ain't worth it (see Burrows).

I would be shocked if this contract looks good in 2 years.  When it comes to corner-stone, foundational, franchise players, then I don't quibble about salaries.  But when it comes to pure role players, you can't do this.  Look at Andrew Shaw; they loved him at 2 mill, but there's no way that they'd double it.

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

A player like this is great to have for 2 mill.  If you have to pay that kind of money then it ain't worth it (see Burrows).

I would be shocked if this contract looks good in 2 years.  When it comes to corner-stone, foundational, franchise players, then I don't quibble about salaries.  But when it comes to pure role players, you can't do this.  Look at Andrew Shaw; they loved him at 2 mill, but there's no way that they'd double it.

You don't watch the Jets much, do you?

Plus, he's 28. The contract will end when he's 32. He's not a 32 year old Burrows getting a 4 year contract extension.

22 minutes ago, Monty said:

You don't watch the Jets much, do you?

Plus, he's 28. The contract will end when he's 32. He's not a 32 year old Burrows getting a 4 year contract extension.

Actually, I'm really familiar with the player.  I watched him break into the league and I've been a big fan of him for a long time.  I think there is pretty good comparison to Burrows.  They're both great team-players that can score goals and take a last minute draw, can move up and down the line-up, and are over-paid by any standard.

But you're right, I didn't catch a lot of the cheap-ass dirty Jets this year, but I get that he is blossoming and breaking out.  I just don't think they'll be thrilled when they expand his role.  But maybe they've realized that they have to over-pay, and that if someone likes it there, they should.

My point is that some guys make the league on pure skill, and some on pure work.  You're not supposed to confuse the two.  Burrows got 30 as a grinder made good, not as a sniper.  I think it is mistake to sign these kind of players up as core elements that can get over their head.  But he's valuable and he knows it, so fair enough.  I do love the player, and I noticed that he had something special in literally his first few games.

And there are exceptions, like Ladd, who actually make their way up to the first line, and a big deal, and live up to it.  I think Palmieri is gonna score 30 many times, for example.

• b3. changed the title to [Signing] Jets re-sign F Mathieu Perreault [4 year X $4.125M AAV]

Definitely on the high side of things for a 40pt guy even considering the 'intangibles' he supposedly brings.  He's not Selke level and it's unlikely he ever breaks let alone attains 20g's. 

This is the type of deal the NHLPA really likes.

I don't get it, how can 4.125 million be considered too much for a guy who consistently puts up 40 points in less than a full season?

If you look around the league, 10 points seems to be worth a million for top 6 forwards.

Eriksson - 6 million for 60 points

Okposo - 6 million for 60 points

Brouwer - 4.5 million for 40-45 points

R. Smith - 5 million for 50 points

Trocheck - 4.75 million for 50 points once

Ladd - 5.5 million for 50-60 points

Nielsen - 5.25 million for 50 points

Really like Perreault.  Excellent possession player.  [the analyticz!]

Had quite an off year shooting the puck as well - so his 40+ pts is pretty damn solid (with a career low - by a longshot - sh% of 6.8%).

With the uptick built into the Jets youth, not hard to imagine him being a 50 pt player - actually it'd be a good bet imo.

On Thursday, July 07, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Fanuck said:

Canucks management on notice. 

If this guy can command a contract like this - what is BoHo worth after his ELC/qualifying years are done? 

Based on what he's accomplished so far  I'd say he's worth 2 mill max. If he can amp up his game on all levels this year, then he'll be worth more. 

On July 8, 2016 at 4:08 PM, oldnews said:

Really like Perreault.  Excellent possession player.  [the analyticz!]

Had quite an off year shooting the puck as well - so his 40+ pts is pretty damn solid (with a career low - by a longshot - sh% of 6.8%).

With the uptick built into the Jets youth, not hard to imagine him being a 50 pt player - actually it'd be a good bet imo.

I thought I saw you discredit Analytics in the Gudbranson Trade thread. 

On 7/7/2016 at 4:26 PM, Time Lord said:

I don't get it, how can 4.125 million be considered too much for a guy who consistently puts up 40 points in less than a full season?

If you look around the league, 10 points seems to be worth a million for top 6 forwards.

Eriksson - 6 million for 60 points

Okposo - 6 million for 60 points

Brouwer - 4.5 million for 40-45 points

R. Smith - 5 million for 50 points

Trocheck - 4.75 million for 50 points once

Ladd - 5.5 million for 50-60 points

Nielsen - 5.25 million for 50 points

Well, good catch, but I don't think you pay for points, I think you pay for abilities.  The buyout candidates tend to have gotten paid for putting up good numbers for a few years, but don't have the skills to back it up in the long term.  I like the player, and I tend to believe that over-payment isn't really a problem if you are getting the guy that you like.  But I do think he is getting max value, as they often do in Winnipeg.  

A lot of CDC people decry the vast majority of deals as over-payment, and nine times out of ten I shake my head at them.  But in this case, this is a hefty deal for what they're getting, and it has the profile of the type of deal you regret.  For example, I think Sutter is twice the player.  As I said before, when we had a 30 goal scorer for 2 million, it was a lot better than a 9 goal scorer for 4.5.  Sometimes it's worth it, and sometimes it hurts (see: Bickell).  As long as you don't have a bunch of these guys.  It probably boils down to not losing a step (see: Dustin Brown), so if Winnipeg is comfortable with his skating then they aren't going in blind.  He seems speedy enough to me.  

(When are they going to collecting stride-speed data?)

But good for Perrault. 

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I thought I saw you discredit Analytics in the Gudbranson Trade thread. 

No, not really. 

My point is this: analytics are only as good as the analyst.

And there are some awful analysts out there.

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No, not really. 

My point is this: analytics are only as good as the analyst.

And there are some awful analysts out there.

Isn't it usually just an excel spreadsheet that you type numbers into? 

Archived