The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burrows - Where does he fit in 2016/17?

Jamie Huscroft

6 hours ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

Also, if his cap hit wasn't so high, I don't think people would be that concerned. Given that this is his last year under contract and that the team likely won't make the playoffs (quote me on that, I'm not sold they've taken a big step forward) I think the most logical scenario is having him slot in and out of the top six when needed while finding a home on the PK and bottom six. 

That's a lot of money to spend on character. 

Burrows is invaluable in those terms but as a player?  The choice was between Burr and Vey imo.  Burr will be a high priced utility forward but at his cap hit, they will always find a place for him at least on the 4th line.  He is a nice to have piece because for short periods, he can be play on any line.  I think Benning is banking on a bit of a rebound year and if it doesn't work out, his contract expires at the end of the season so there is little risk.  Off the top line, I don't see him with more than 20 points next year.  He went 9-13-22 last year.

Next year, offer him a spot as Travis Green's assistant (or as a player/coach in Utica if he wants).  This may be the real reason why he wasn't bought out.

How would we ever replace all of Burrows goals from last season....

9 goals

Here is his stats compared to other around him by goals.  As you can see he was  the 280 th highest goal scorer last season...

Note - Nestrasil  was paid 875,000 last season and is  959,000 for next year....    LOL 

Martinook  - made  600,000 last  year...

What does Burrows make again....   4.5 mil  -  OUCH....

277 Brett Connolly BOS R 71 9 16 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
278 Jordan Martinook ARI L 81 9 15 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
279 Andrej Nestrasil CAR C 55 9 14 23 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
280 Alexandre Burrows VAN R 79 9 13 22 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
281 Nikolay Kulemin NYI L 81 9 13 22 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
282 Riley Nash

7 hours ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

I think a lot of his offensive woes have come from injury/deployment under Torts and Willie. During the lockout year, he was still scoring at an effective rate - 13 G/47 GP = 23 G/82 GP. 

I think its wishful thinking to have him score 20 again, though 10-15 would be reasonable, provided he's put into situations where he can do that. 

Edit: I should have expanded on the 10-15 goals. If he finds his way into the top 6 through injury or just a slumping player, it might happen, but on the 3rd/4th I don't see that happening. 

I could see it on the third.   For all the scoring acumen he shows spurts of,  Horvat is equally smart when it comes to setting up plays.   If WD insists on sheltering his minutes on the third line,  I'd say 10-15 is entirely in reach for Burrows.   

SPECIAL TEAMS! I've been saying it for a while now, Alex Burrows is a great guy to slot in on the powerplay or the pk at any time. He finds a way to be impactful in those situations consistently. That and injuries. Once injuries start to go down, I expect him to be kind of a guy who, because of his versatility can play on any line, and give you some of what you had before. Not all of it, but some. He will likely be in a bottom 6 role, and as of right now, maybe the 4th line, but special teams and versatility is where Burrows will come in handy.

If he can stay healthy and score 15-20 goals, while playing in the bottom-six, that would be huge for the team. He is still a great penalty killer, and a great guy to have in the locker room. He can move up in the line-up if there are any injures, although he hasn't been the same player as he was years ago, but can still fill in and do his job well.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

How would we ever replace all of Burrows goals from last season....

9 goals

Here is his stats compared to other around him by goals.  As you can see he was  the 280 th highest goal scorer last season...

Note - Nestrasil  was paid 875,000 last season and is  959,000 for next year....    LOL 

Martinook  - made  600,000 last  year...

What does Burrows make again....   4.5 mil  -  OUCH....

277 Brett Connolly BOS R 71 9 16 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
278 Jordan Martinook ARI L 81 9 15 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
279 Andrej Nestrasil CAR C 55 9 14 23 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
280 Alexandre Burrows VAN R 79 9 13 22 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
281 Nikolay Kulemin NYI L 81 9 13 22 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
282 Riley Nash

Apples and oranges, you are comparing him with a 25 and 23 year old respectively. Yes Burrows is currently overpaid. But when he signed that contract he was severely underpaid and earned what he received. Is his mentor ship worth 4.5 million if he doesn't find his game? Probably not. But he is worth more on the team then the assets it would cost to move his contract. Burr still has some hockey left in him.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He's gauranteed to be in the penalty box a lot too..I wonder how many goals he will cost because of his negative relationship with the referees. 

Those days of negativity with the referees are long gone buddy.

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Apples and oranges, you are comparing him with a 25 and 23 year old respectively. Yes Burrows is currently overpaid. But when he signed that contract he was severely underpaid and earned what he received. Is his mentor ship worth 4.5 million if he doesn't find his game? Probably not. But he is worth more on the team then the assets it would cost to move his contract. Burr still has some hockey left in him.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He's gauranteed to be in the penalty box a lot too..I wonder how many goals he will cost because of his negative relationship with the referees. 

Yup.  Too many Canuck fans are stuck in 2011. 

TIME TO MOVE ON. 

Do you really want Burrows on our team... ?  Heh, would you like we sign Max Lapierre , Manny Malhotra, Andrew Alberts, and Peter Schaefer  as well.

TIME TO MOVE ON.

Alex Burrows was an over achiever that played some great hockey for the canucks  a few years ago.  Unfortunately he also cost our club alot  with his poor relationship with officials and some unsportsmanlike play.

He should be put on waivers and his ice time can be used to develop the next Alex Burrows. We are looking at a development year next year and giving ice time to next year April  ( 36 yr old ) Alex 9 goals a yr Burrows is pointless. 

We have guys in the ECHL that can out produce Alex Burrows.  

\

13 hours ago, Slegr said:

I'm sorry, but If Hansen plays regularly on the top line this year again, we'll be sitting in the league's bottom five again.

I think the top line's production was fine last year. It's the production of all the other lines I'm worried about.

On 7/19/2016 at 6:12 PM, Butters Stoch said:

At this point he's an expensive 3rd/4th liner and leader but we're keeping him out of respect for all he's done for us over the years.

Possibly.  Benning may have or be trying to shop him to free up the cap space without takers (including Burrows).  I hope he has a great season given it is most likely his last as a Canuck.  If he's healthy he will help this club, that is for sure, and the hometown discount he gave on his previous contract makes this one more palatable.

Love Alex and how he brings it every night but the writing may be on the wall- his success at his peak was due to a combination of game intelligence and a high rate of speed and he looks like he's lost a step. I'd love to believe it's due to injuries, but given his age (35) I have to admit I'm a little skeptical that he can get back to where he was. If it turns out that this is his final year with the team and the limit of his contribution is as a "glue guy" in the bottom 6, then so be it, he's been a good soldier and he'll always have my respect. One caveat though- this is a guy who has been proving people wrong right from the very start, so here's hoping he gets to send a few more arrows up to his bro Luc. 

Archived