The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Johnny Gaudreau seeking $8M annually on new deal with Flames

On September 22, 2016 at 2:18 PM, bobbyg43 said:

Too bad there is no other team out there to offer sheet him an force flames hand here.

Just based on marketing alone the recapture $$$ is there ,let alone performance.

And just hand the Flames two 1sts, one 2nd and a 3rd and set them up for the next 20 years with a possible two other Gaudreau?

Given the Canucks' state, those two 1sts might also be top five picks while the second might be the 31st-35th pick; so like giving three 1st rounds.

Yeah... no.

On 09/21/2016 at 4:10 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Flames and Johnny Gaudreau are still far apart.

Gaudreau continues to seek $8.5 million, while the Flames to not want to pay anyone more than Mark Giordano's $6.75 million.

They overpaid by at least a million and a half on Giordano to

Imo that little punk Gaydreau is hugely overrated because of his offensive game. He basically does nothing else well and isn't effective at all against the stronger elite teams and likely never will be.

As much as I love a lot about the Sedins he reminds me of a player that will be like them. To me that's a very good point producer that will help you win games but more than likely disappear or not be noticeable in a good way in the real meaningful games especially playoffs because of the added physicality and determination displayed by the best teams.

I really hope the Lames give him 8.5 because it'd be a stupid mistake lol

23 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Isn't any unsigned RFA eligible to be offer sheeted?  What restrictions apply in Gaudreau's case?

Need 3 pro years to reach offer sheet eligibility.    

He was an NCAA player and played only one game in 2013/14.  He was 20 so that one game burned a year of his ELC - Calgary allowed him to do that because they didn't want him to go to UFA in August.  However, that year did not count as a pro-year because less than 10 pro-games. 

Just now, tas said:

out of the goodness of his heart? why would he if his agent thinks he has the leverage to go for $8.5 now? 

It's called taking one for the team, and showing you're putting the team first. That helps the leverage on the next negotiations. 

We're talking one season. Bridge contracts happen all the time. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's called taking one for the team, and showing you're putting the team first. That helps the leverage on the next negotiations. 

We're talking one season. Bridge contracts happen all the time. 

so do serious, career threatening injuries. financial security is important to these guys. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Need 3 pro years to reach offer sheet eligibility.    

He was an NCAA player and played only one game in 2013/14.  He was 20 so that one game burned a year of his ELC - Calgary allowed him to do that because they didn't want him to go to UFA in August.  However, that year did not count as a pro-year because less than 10 pro-games. 

Thanks for the info!  Appreciated. 

32 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So do players who start out careers hot, then fizzle out long term. 

listen, I'm not arguing that gaudreau is too good for a bridge deal or that the flames shouldn't argue for one, but players hire agents to look out for their best interests, and obviously gaudreau's agent thinks he can get -- or should at least push very hard for -- the home run right now. gaudreau trusts his agent (presumably) and isn't going to try to advise him on a topic that he has no expertise in and that he specifically hired his agent to deal with so he doesn't have to get involved and can focus solely on hockey. 

12 hours ago, tas said:

listen, I'm not arguing that gaudreau is too good for a bridge deal or that the flames shouldn't argue for one, but players hire agents to look out for their best interests, and obviously gaudreau's agent thinks he can get -- or should at least push very hard for -- the home run right now. gaudreau trusts his agent (presumably) and isn't going to try to advise him on a topic that he has no expertise in and that he specifically hired his agent to deal with so he doesn't have to get involved and can focus solely on hockey. 

I get where you're coming from, I just think it's a bit much for a guy who's only spent 2 years in the NHL. And wants Stamkos kind of money. But I'm not a GM or agent.

51 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I really hope the Flames screws this one up and some day Gaudreau will come back and bite them in the ass like St. Louis did!

Why the hate for the Lames?  I hate them, you hate them, heck we ALL hate them.  Do they deserve all that hate?  YES!  :angry:

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why the hate for the Lames?  I hate them, you hate them, heck we ALL hate them.  Do they deserve all that hate?  YES!  :angry:

I actually admire a lot of the players that wears the Flames jersey for example guys like Monahan, Brodie and even Ferland (yes, but he was really just doing his job and his story is really a story of an underdog and I am sure if he wears blue and green Canucks fans would love, he just happens to play for the Flames). But I just hate their fans and their cockyness over one playoff series win and the amount of disprespect they have towards the Canucks organization and players makes me hate their fan base so much. So to me, nothing pleases me more than watching frustrated Flames fans.

Archived