The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob McKenzie - Vancouver Training Camp Preview + Line Predictions

DonaldBrashear

Here is a 7 minute long video from Bob McKenzie released today where he talks about the Canucks in-depth and what to expect out of training camp.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/training-camp-preview-health-is-key-for-canucks-to-improve~953236

Basically, after watching his video, I get the impression that he thinks our line-up on opening day could look something like:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Rodin - Granlund - Dorsett
(Etem)

Rodin would be interchangeable and could play in many spots. Potentially Rodin could take over Virtanen's spot (Line #3), Burrows spot (Line #2) or even Eriksson's spot (Line #1). Let's not forget that Rodin too is Swedish and if the Canucks wanted to spread out the wealth a bit mid-season or mix things up, they could potentially move Eriksson down to balance things out and put Rodin on line #1. To me, Rodin coming out strong in training camp is going to be key to the success of the Canucks because when injuries strike he is going to be expected to step up.

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

I still think we're gonna make a trade, but that looks about right to me. 

Agree completely. I think as the other teams settle in and figure out their needs and in some cases, how little cap space they have, Canucks will work a deal to use up that space that we have available.

Unless there are injuries, I expect Virtanen to start in Utica, although I don't think he will spend more than 30 - 40 games there this year. I think they will use that flexibility to get him more top 6 minutes throughout the year and speed his development.

9 minutes ago, Kokanee king said:

McKenzie is the man and the most sensible guy on TSN 

with that said i think Rodin may get the second line wing and burrows may be on the 4th. 

People in the East be like "Com'n Bob, where's the doom and gloom?"

He pretty much nails the Canucks down to a tee, unlike some others. Mr Hockey in the media!

They have a very good chance to get into a playoff position barring an injury riddled season like last year especially to any key forward. We need more depth up front, but at the same time want to get the Rodin, Virt, Etem, Granny and Gaunce more ice time and prove their worth.

If we start off slowly on the offensive side of the game expect a trigger to be pulled.

Short of another horrible, injury plagued season we should be picking somewhere between 10-20.

Reasonably healthy, ~20 if things go 'perfect'. 10 if things go more poorly. Reality will probably put us somewhere in the middle as a bubble team.

If things go poorly AND we have another injury plagued season, top 10. People claiming a bottom 3 finish are just as out to lunch as anyone who would call us a cup favourite IMO.

McKenzie too believes Baertschi-Horvat will play together despite WD having suggested otherwise.  Maybe WD changed his mind over the summer.  Reminds me of last off-season where so many had Vrbata with the Sedins and it didn't happen.

Just now, mll said:

Everyone believes Baertsch-Horvat will play together despite WD having suggested otherwise.  Maybe WD changed his mind over the summer.  Reminds me of last off-season where everyone had Vrbata with the Sedins and it didn't happen.

Yup...

4 minutes ago, mll said:

McKenzie too believes Baertschi-Horvat will play together despite WD having suggested otherwise.  Maybe WD changed his mind over the summer.  Reminds me of last off-season where so many had Vrbata with the Sedins and it didn't happen.

While I believe that Baertschi will be on the second line with Sutter, the circumstances have changed since that quote. Specifically, Horvats deployment. At the time, Horvat was on the second line with Sutter out and eating big minutes against the toughest competition.

If I remember correctly, WD said something along the lines of Baertschi's style takes Horvat away from his two way game. But with 3rd line deployment against lesser competition, he may be willing to re-visit it.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

If WD would put Bo in a little more of an offensive role, Baer is the perfect linemates for him. They have good chemistry, and have both mentioned they like t playing together.     

So why not?

I understand WD wants Bo to be responsible defensively, but why pidgon hold him in that role?

Willy keeps saying he sees him as more of a defensive center, but the kid would pile up the points if put in the right situation. 

We need points. 

But looking at Bobs projected lineup, the 2nd does look like more of a shutdown line.  

I like it. 

29 minutes ago, mll said:

Well, technically, that's because that's how the previous season started. Vrbata ended the season not with the Sedins, and everyone just ignored that and assumed he'd get moved back.

McKenzie probably doesn't have an inside scoop in this case on Baertschi. It's more that he played a lot with Horvat and they looked good, but Horvat struggled in parts to start the year and WD and Co. are looking to avoid that. I think they're a good pairing as they developed chemistry (and Vrbata on that line for a spell didn't help them) and would like to see them together, but not sure there's anything to say they will be.

5 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Well, technically, that's because that's how the previous season started. Vrbata ended the season not with the Sedins, and everyone just ignored that and assumed he'd get moved back.

McKenzie probably doesn't have an inside scoop in this case on Baertschi. It's more that he played a lot with Horvat and they looked good, but Horvat struggled in parts to start the year and WD and Co. are looking to avoid that. I think they're a good pairing as they developed chemistry (and Vrbata on that line for a spell didn't help them) and would like to see them together, but not sure there's anything to say they will be.

I'd rather see Etem, Horvat, Virtanen as our 3rd line personally. Not sure WD will allow that much youth on one line and may plunk Burr or Dorsett there instead of one of Etem/Virtanen though.

Shame Boeser wasn't ready this year or Hansen could have possibly played on Horvat's RW. Maybe next year.

32 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

While I believe that Baertschi will be on the second line with Sutter, the circumstances have changed since that quote. Specifically, Horvats deployment. At the time, Horvat was on the second line with Sutter out and eating big minutes against the toughest competition.

If I remember correctly, WD said something along the lines of Baertschi's style takes Horvat away from his two way game. But with 3rd line deployment against lesser competition, he may be willing to re-visit it.

Instead of me paraphrasing - here are the quotes by WD on Horvat:

After the Colorado game mid-March:  "I think it's better for him.  I think we took him away a bit from his game when we played him with Baertschi and Vrbata but we needed to because we were looking for ways to score.  But he's better when he plays with defensive guys, he shuts guys down and then works off transition."

And again after the Anaheim game in early April:   "I thought a little bit I was playing to his weakness. Ah, I don't know. It's not his weakness, but the strength of his game is playing great defence," Willie Desjardins said.  "It's not forcing the offence. It's funny, because the past couple of games I put him on a more defensive line. I wanted him to be more of a shutdown guy. And he's responded with great efforts. I see him as a real good checking center."

WD also commented mid-March that 'Baertschi's game went to another level especially the last 10 games'.  The last 9 were played away from Horvat.  It might have to do with deployment though - he used Baer more offensively with Granlund/Vey as his Cs and he had the puck more and was back to being more the playmaker.  Not productive but WD kept on talking of how well he was playing and making things happen.

Archived