The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob McKenzie - Vancouver Training Camp Preview + Line Predictions

DonaldBrashear

There's really no point in arguing what the lines will be,  coaches change players every 2 games.  The only players we know for sure will be together are Danny and Hank. Injuries and hot/cold streaks make coaches constantly line juggle.  Both Bo and Sven have the ability to play in offensive and defensive zones, so it shouldn’t shock anyone if at some point we see these players back playing together again.

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Instead of me paraphrasing - here are the quotes by WD on Horvat:

After the Colorado game mid-March:  "I think it's better for him.  I think we took him away a bit from his game when we played him with Baertschi and Vrbata but we needed to because we were looking for ways to score.  But he's better when he plays with defensive guys, he shuts guys down and then works off transition."

And again after the Anaheim game in early April:   "I thought a little bit I was playing to his weakness. Ah, I don't know. It's not his weakness, but the strength of his game is playing great defence," Willie Desjardins said.  "It's not forcing the offence. It's funny, because the past couple of games I put him on a more defensive line. I wanted him to be more of a shutdown guy. And he's responded with great efforts. I see him as a real good checking center."

WD also commented mid-March that 'Baertschi's game went to another level especially the last 10 games'.  The last 9 were played away from Horvat.  It might have to do with deployment though - he used Baer more offensively with Granlund/Vey as his Cs and he had the puck more and was back to being more the playmaker.  Not productive but WD kept on talking of how well he was playing and making things happen.

Solid post.

I'm still not convinced that his quotes last year are going to dictate his deployment this year as I believe things change, but this does add a lot more context to your original post. Personally, I'd like to see him playing with Sutter and Burrows playing wing for Bo, but I find that there's always something that surprises me about player deployment and as a result, I don't really expect anything anymore.

42 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

This whole "but if injuries" needs to end.  Nearly every team if hit with significant injuries is going to suffer greatly.  Unless it can be established that the Canucks have an injury-prone roster, especially vis-a-vis key players, then the argument is a red herring.

I don't agree.

Other teams may also have had as many injuries, were they to the same type of key players, were they trying to blood young players to the same extent? Well all I can say is if the answer is yes then the chances are they were also in the bottom 5.

No one can deny that we have been decimated by injuries. I thought 14-15 was bad but 15-16 was even worse. Yes our injuries need to settle down and I'm hoping that the fact we have got bigger, at least on D will lead to that but we are still a bit light in the forwards.

If you are not bruising you are getting bruised and that's the way it goes.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

If WD would put Bo in a little more of an offensive role, Baer is the perfect linemates for him. They have good chemistry, and have both mentioned they like t playing together.     

So why not?

I understand WD wants Bo to be responsible defensively, but why pidgon hold him in that role?

Willy keeps saying he sees him as more of a defensive center, but the kid would pile up the points if put in the right situation. 

We need points. 

But looking at Bobs projected lineup, the 2nd does look like more of a shutdown line.  

I like it. 

They can place Bo on the 2nd line but teams may respond like they did at times last season.  They had Bo's line as the 2nd on their drawing boards and sent out players accordingly.  This was before Sutter's injury if I recall..

Thanks OP for posting this!  very appreciated :D

2 hours ago, mll said:

McKenzie too believes Baertschi-Horvat will play together despite WD having suggested otherwise.  Maybe WD changed his mind over the summer.  Reminds me of last off-season where so many had Vrbata with the Sedins and it didn't happen.

I tend to agree with Bob here, because Baertschi and Horvat had some wicked chemistry that I'd hate to see broken up.

Just now, ajhockey said:

I tend to agree with Bob here, because Baertschi and Horvat had some wicked chemistry that I'd hate to see broken up.

Bob, you, and all of us are not the coach though.  No matter how much sense it makes to play Bo and Baer together, WD (THE CURRENT COACH) says no.

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bob, you, and all of us are not the coach though.  No matter how much sense it makes to play Bo and Baer together, WD (THE CURRENT COACH) says no.

Yeah, I'm not so much saying that I think they will be playing together as I am saying that I think they should be playing together. But alas, like you said, the coach gets the final say.

In terms of hockey journalism, to me, Bobby Mack has climbed to the uppermost levels.. acclaim on par with the likes of legends Foster Hewitt & Danny Gallivan.

Whether it's a revered voice or esteemed pen, this is the measure of his contributions to the game.

If the dude ever retired, would leave a Grand Canyon-scale gap, for true hockey insight. Sure appreciated his work back in the 80's, when getting 'The Hockey News' magazine fix.

Seems like a pretty spot on analysis to me.

I am not sure where Burrows will end up, the brass haven't talked about him at all in their interviews and talking about top 9 guys.  At the same time, WD's leash is pretty short so he will be risk averse and more likely to give those minutes to a vet like Burrows who, even though he has less to offer nowadays, won't hurt you as often.

I think the 3rd D pairing is also completely up in the air.  Sbisa, Tryamkin, Larsen, and even Juolevi are candidates.  Hutton could even fall off a little and end up meaning Sbisa and Gudbranson are a 2nd pairing for stretches in the season... if that happens our point totals from the back end could be in some jeopardy. 

2 hours ago, Kokanee king said:

McKenzie is the man and the most sensible guy on TSN 

with that said i think Rodin may get the second line wing and burrows may be on the 4th. 

yeah I got a similar idea as well but think burrows will get a shot at top 6, he's done it before and we don't have much top 6 LW options lol

Burrows - Sutter - Rodin

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Etem - Granlund - Dorsett

Gaunce

Burrows bumped to 4th if we get a top 6 LW or if he falls flat. Virtanen I hope he gets some AHL seasoning with top line minutes in the beginning of the season.

26 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Yeah, I'm not so much saying that I this they will be playing together as I am saying that I think they should be playing together. But alas, like you said, the coach gets the final say.

Maybe Travis Green will make the choice we all know is best?  B)

Archived