The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alexandre Grenier

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Excellent, as disappointed as I was in his preseason, it's not too late for him to turn things around. He has all the tools, the only thing holding him back is physiological.  

The only thing holding him back is he still simply not good enough, never has been. Green would have had input into this decision which tells you all you need to know.

8 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

The only thing holding him back is he still simply not good enough, never has been. Green would have had input into this decision which tells you all you need to know.

I really liked this kid when he was drafted  ..he came unheralded and I thought we could have a steal with his size...he has a good shot and soft hands...he can scrap a bit too when needed....he just never took the next step..an intriging package..but Im afraid he may be a career minor leaguer

27 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

I was just trying to say something positive for once in my life. I guess I'll stick to what I know and that's being a miserable pr!ck that isn't satisfied with anything. 

2 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

Grenier cleared waivers

Could/could have. Present or past tense. Doesn't change they had an opportunity to grab him if they'd really wanted to and certainly weren't going to give up Yakupov for him and a 2nd.

52 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I really liked this kid when he was drafted  ..he came unheralded and I thought we could have a steal with his size...he has a good shot and soft hands...he can scrap a bit too when needed....he just never took the next step..an intriging package..but Im afraid he may be a career minor leaguer

Yet he plays like he's 5'10 and was invisible in the preseason. Well except for the time he had a takeaway in the O zone - just turned and shot the puck, instead of using his size and driving the net...

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

You know what is really funny? Everyone cries about how long it's taking Edmonton to tank yet we have been trying to win for over 40 years with the same result. No Cup. If I'm a Edmonton fan, those years of obscurity are completely gone with McDavid and a new arena to look forward to. 

I wouldn't get too high on Edmonton, they have painted themselves into a short 3 year window for success, after which they are going to be in cap purgatory indefinitely going forward.

1.  Lucic has maybe 3 seasons of solid production ahead of him before his play falls off a cliff in his 30's.  Power forwards don't age well in the league.  They will then have 4 more seasons of a huge cap hit for little return on the ice.
2.  Draisaitl is coming off his ELC after this season.  He is a legit 1st or 2nd line centre going forward and they are going to have to pay him as such, especially since he is stuck on the 3rd line on their depth chart and may be reticent to spend his entire career there.
3.  McJesus comes off his ELC the season after that.  Few doubt he will be a top player (if not THE top player) in the league, and will get paid as such.
4.  All their other top prospects from the last few "tanking" draft are already coming off their ELCs in the next two seasons and will be demanding new contracts.  The organization has managed to squander all of their cheap ELC years by continuing to lose.  Nurse, Yakupov, Reinhart, Caggiula, etc.

I really don't see Edmonton getting "enough" better in the next two seasons before they start to get worse again.

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

You know what is really funny? Everyone cries about how long it's taking Edmonton to tank yet we have been trying to win for over 40 years with the same result. No Cup. If I'm a Edmonton fan, those years of obscurity are completely gone with McDavid and a new arena to look forward to. 

I don't really get the point in thinking this way. It's almost like you're purposely trying to look for ways to put yourself down. You know things could have easily been different in the 2 times we made the cup finals. One was decided by literally 1 goal. I'm not saying that to look at things on the bright side either. I'm stating an actual fact as that's what actually happened.

If you want to be depressed from looking for ways that make us look worse than things actually are that's your call. It's like with anything. You can look for negativity in anything and you'll find it, but it's going to make you seem like one depressing person to be around. Just something to consider. ;)

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't really get the point in thinking this way. It's almost like you're purposely trying to look for ways to put yourself down. You know things could have easily been different in the 2 times we made the cup finals. The last one was decided by literally 1 goal. I'm not saying that to look at things on the bright side either. I'm stating an actual fact as that's what actually happened.

If you want to be depressed from looking for ways that make us look worse than things actually are that's your call. It's like with anything. You can look for negativity in anything and you'll find it, but it's going to make you seem like one depressing person to be around. Just something to consider. ;)

You mean the '94 cup run was a goal away.

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Ah I see. I meant decided by 1 game. Vancouver had 2 chances basically. Still doesn't change anything in my argument really. Edited above for accuracy though. Thanks.

If you're looking at w's and l's in a column you could legitimately make that statement.  But they won two really close games at home and then were blown away in Boston and finally at home by a shutout.  The fan in us would think it was closer than it actually was.

'94 much closer coming back from a closer scored multi game deficit and forcing a game 7 at msg that was a one goal game.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

If you're looking at w's and l's in a column you could legitimately make that statement.  But they won two really close games at home and then were blown away in Boston and finally at home by a shutout.  The fan in us would think it was closer than it actually was.

Like I said though, it still doesn't change the fact that if you look for things that are depressing you're not going to be looking at roses exactly. How you want to look at things will ultimately change your perception. Sometimes for the better. Other times... not so much. lol

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Like I said though, it still doesn't change the fact that if you look for things that are depressing you're not going to be looking at roses exactly. How you want to look at things will ultimately change your perception. Sometimes for the better. Other times... not so much. lol

Certainly agree with you there

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I wouldn't get too high on Edmonton, they have painted themselves into a short 3 year window for success, after which they are going to be in cap purgatory indefinitely going forward.

1.  Lucic has maybe 3 seasons of solid production ahead of him before his play falls off a cliff in his 30's.  Power forwards don't age well in the league.  They will then have 4 more seasons of a huge cap hit for little return on the ice.
2.  Draisaitl is coming off his ELC after this season.  He is a legit 1st or 2nd line centre going forward and they are going to have to pay him as such, especially since he is stuck on the 3rd line on their depth chart and may be reticent to spend his entire career there.
3.  McJesus comes off his ELC the season after that.  Few doubt he will be a top player (if not THE top player) in the league, and will get paid as such.
4.  All their other top prospects from the last few "tanking" draft are already coming off their ELCs in the next two seasons and will be demanding new contracts.  The organization has managed to squander all of their cheap ELC years by continuing to lose.  Nurse, Yakupov, Reinhart, Caggiula, etc.

I really don't see Edmonton getting "enough" better in the next two seasons before they start to get worse again.

you are grossly underestimating the value of having the best player in the world in your team. 

52 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't really get the point in thinking this way. It's almost like you're purposely trying to look for ways to put yourself down. You know things could have easily been different in the 2 times we made the cup finals. One was decided by literally 1 goal. I'm not saying that to look at things on the bright side either. I'm stating an actual fact as that's what actually happened.

I like you but what you or anyone think of me is pretty low on my priority list. people get negativity mixed up with reality all the time. 

reality: the last 10 years

Oilers = 1 SCF, 0 cups

Flames = 0 SCF, 0 cups

canucks = 1 SCF, 0 cups. 

You can have your division titles and early playoff exits. When you're talking about teams that will be remembered forever, all 3 listed above will be forgotten over time. If we woulda sucked as bad as the oilers have since 1994 and today we had Connor McDavid in a Canucks jersey id gladly trade the heartache of 2011 and all the years before and after. 

24 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I like you but what you or anyone think of me is pretty low on my priority list. people get negativity mixed up with reality all the time. 

reality: the last 10 years

Oilers = 1 SCF, 0 cups

Flames = 0 SCF, 0 cups

canucks = 1 SCF, 0 cups. 

You can have your division titles and early playoff exits. When you're talking about teams that will be remembered forever, all 3 listed above will be forgotten over time. If we woulda sucked as bad as the oilers have since 1994 and today we had Connor McDavid in a Canucks jersey id gladly trade the heartache of 2011 and all the years before and after. 

First of all, if you think your opinion is "reality", think again. While you may have presented basic facts on who's won a cup in the past 10 years (in which facts are of course reality), providing your opinion on it afterwards and claiming that to be reality is a false argument. No one's opinion is actually reality. One's opinion can be based on reality, but being negative (as you are being) is not reality in itself. You are not a realist. In fact, unless if you have no brain to even form an opinion of your own, no one is a realist. ;) Anyone who claims they are a realist based on their opinion is basically trying to tell themselves their opinion is just without really looking at anything else. They want to be right and also want to be lazy in that they are looking for a shortcut means rather than looking at other people's opinions. "I am a realist" is not a solid foundation of an argument, period.

What you have provided is a negative opinion based on facts you have hand selected that look negative to the common eye without looking at other facts. Ironic since you claim "people get negativity mixed up with reality all the time". ;)

Archived