The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Preseason Oct. 8th - Canucks @ Oilers 6pm PDT

ftmN

6 hours ago, Knucklehd said:

Sounds like the back to backs aggravated his injury.  I heard there is some swellling and as a result he is being rested.  Says he only feels about 80% at this point.

Yes, I was surprised that the Canucks were playing Rodin so much in pre-season in light of his knee surgery. Still don't get it. Anyway, with Rodin starting the season on IR it gives the Canucks a chance to keep someone else on the team. My guess is that Rodin's situation allows Virtanen to stay with the team.

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Interesting if the Sedins play, as they typically don't do exhibition road games.  Good to see it, as it shows the team is serious about getting a good start to the season 

Agree, another surprise for me. Fatigue is an issue with the Sedins, especially after the world cup of hockey. I would rest them and get a look at all the guys fighting for the last roster spots (Skille, Ruutu, Virtanen, Etem, Gaunce).

I as also surprise to hear JB saying on TSN 1040 that he was keeping an eye on the expansion draft and the need to have qualified defencemen. (This was an obvious reference to keeping Biega with the team instead of Pedan). It seems that the Canucks really do want to make sure that one of Sbisa or Biega plays enough to qualify as the veteran D-man they make available. Frankly it would be easier to just sign Bartkowksi. He has already played enough last year to qualify and the Canucks could just keep him Utica (where he could help the team a lot).

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That picture of EDM's leadership group, the way Lucic is looking at McDavid. Creepy.

Imagine over the years if the Sedins ever had the likes of a Lucic, a Primeau or a Cam Neely riding shotgun, we may have very well made more than 1 trip the SCF.

I suppose the benefit of possibly playing Rödin a little too much too soon if that the team got a good look at him and was able to confirm he's come as advertised.

Initially, I advocated for holding him back and letting him heal up completely before gradually working him in. This likely would have prevented any aggravation of the injury, but might have also left him as something of an unknown.

Obviously the ideal would have been him playing a bunch, proving himself, and not getting hurt.

But it's up for debate whether avoiding any potential for aggravating that knee would have been worth holding him back from proving his worth as a player (especially given how competitive it's been this year).

58 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Yes, I was surprised that the Canucks were playing Rodin so much in pre-season in light of his knee surgery. Still don't get it. Anyway, with Rodin starting the season on IR it gives the Canucks a chance to keep someone else on the team. My guess is that Rodin's situation allows Virtanen to stay with the team.

Agree, another surprise for me. Fatigue is an issue with the Sedins, especially after the world cup of hockey. I would rest them and get a look at all the guys fighting for the last roster spots (Skille, Ruutu, Virtanen, Etem, Gaunce).

I as also surprise to hear JB saying on TSN 1040 that he was keeping an eye on the expansion draft and the need to have qualified defencemen. (This was an obvious reference to keeping Biega with the team instead of Pedan). It seems that the Canucks really do want to make sure that one of Sbisa or Biega plays enough to qualify as the veteran D-man they make available. Frankly it would be easier to just sign Bartkowksi. He has already played enough last year to qualify and the Canucks could just keep him Utica (where he could help the team a lot).

On Barts it could be though they don't want to waste a contract on him ai think they have a 50 contract limit or something.

Still would be surprised with even one PTO getting a deal with Rodin going to IR you can keep Virtanen,Guance, and even Etem it you want over Ruutu or Skille.

1 hour ago, 6string said:

Imagine over the years if the Sedins ever had the likes of a Lucic, a Primeau or a Cam Neely riding shotgun, we may have very well made more than 1 trip the SCF.

No offense to Mike Gillis, but if the Canucks had JB building around the Sedins/Kesler  in their prime they would have probably won a cup.  Unfortunately for the Canucks they ran into the team JB helped build in 2011.....

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Even if you do sign Bart back for that purpose, Sbisa and Biega would still be exposed to the draft. But I do actually like this idea, its cheap insurance incase the worst happens and both Sbisa and Biega are lost to injury at draft time. 

2 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Those forward lines looks really interesting.  Gonna be stoked to watch this after work!

Yeah, I especially like the 3rd line. Eriksson can play anywhere and he makes his line mates better. Would love to see Granlund take another step. Maybe having Eriksson on his line will help. Top 3 lines are solid. The 4th line is all players who are fighting for the last spot? Should be interesting. The 4th line should have a lot of energy, 100% every shift. Kind of feel bad for the guy(s) that don't make it. I know I'd much rather have Gaunce in the lineup instead of Dorsett. Hoping Markstrom has as good a game as Miller did against CGY.

I don't mind that they mighta' rushed Rodin, a tad.

NHL's a sink-or-swim world, so an early physical/mental test.

Furthermore, wouldn't surprise me if they exagerrate his condition a little. Open a spot on the roster, to give one more a chance. Let him rest up(train upper body), 'til he feels 100% top to bottom. Then in early Nov(perhaps?) we air-drop this sniper into the lineup, when it may be needed.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I suppose the benefit of possibly playing Rödin a little too much too soon if that the team got a good look at him and was able to confirm he's come as advertised.

Initially, I advocated for holding him back and letting him heal up completely before gradually working him in. This likely would have prevented any aggravation of the injury, but might have also left him as something of an unknown.

Obviously the ideal would have been him playing a bunch, proving himself, and not getting hurt.

But it's up for debate whether avoiding any potential for aggravating that knee would have been worth holding him back from proving his worth as a player (especially given how competitive it's been this year).

Good point. If the Canucks had held back and not played Rodin much in preseason, at this point they would not know whether to allocate a roster spot to him or not. And, as he would not actually be injured, they could not really put him on IR. Now at least the Canucks know he is probably good enough to be valuable AND he will not take up a roster spot. I just hope that overplaying him has not harmed his overall recovery.

35 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I don't mind that they mighta' rushed Rodin, a tad.

NHL's a sink-or-swim world, so an early physical/mental test.

Furthermore, wouldn't surprise me if they exagerrate his condition a little. Open a spot on the roster, to give one more a chance. Let him rest up(train upper body), 'til he feels 100% top to bottom. Then in early Nov(perhaps?) we air-drop this sniper into the lineup, when it may be needed.

Yes, this is also a possibility. Maybe Rodin's  knee is not too bad but the Canucks are happy to have him on IR for a while.

57 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Jake hits McDavid and puts him out for 20 games, Lucic takes on Jake and gets 5 games for being an idiot,we win 5-0!!!!

would love to see him hit McDavid but when lucic comes to pummel his face in, there's no one but himself in tonight's line up to protect him

It's going to be an up and down year for Rodin with that knee... just hope he takes the time when he needs it to get back to 100%. Solid potential from him.

Other thoughts: Its going to be a very interesting year where Bo, Baer, Gudbranson and Hutton hopefully take the next step into bonafide stardom.  

Of the other crop some of Virt, Gaunce, Granlund, Tryamkin, Larson, Stetcher, Pedan, and yes maybe even Etem will make huge strides as well.  

Of course, not all will pan out - but it's going to be a fun watch.

Add Boeser into the mix and 17/18 is going to be a real treat... but that's another story.

Archived