The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] TSN - Canucks still kicking tires on Kane

Provost

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep... while I don't think you can use the Hall for Larsson trade as market value since Edmonton got robbed.... Tanev is a much more highly regarded defencman than Larsson.  He is also a top pairing guy signed to a ridiculously low cap hit going forward.

I have no issues at all moving on from Tanev, but you have to maximize value.  Unless a team blows you away, his value is likely to be much higher at the deadline for a contender with an injury or in the offseason as teams try to replace players lost in the expansion draft.

wait

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

"Hey Tim, Jim again.  Offer's still on the table -- Kane for a third?"

"No, I just can't."

"Okay, will call again in another month or so... but offer then might be a fourth.  See ya."

God I wish that's how the convo would go. More like "hey Tim, Francesco has me by the balls, wanna give me Kane for Virtanen/Boeser so I can speed up the "rebuild" ?

I hope this doesn't happen. If it does say goodbye to one of Tanev, Hutton, Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi. Yuck!

let's be honest, at this point in his career, Kane is a 2nd/3rd line tweeter based on his recent production

Tanev is a consistent top pairing d man.

Do you trade a 2nd/3rd liner tweeter for a top pairing d man?

Adam Larsson snagged a franchise forward...

Larsson is better than Tanev but not by much, the two are very comparable

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

God I wish that's how the convo would go. More like "hey Tim, Francesco has me by the balls, wanna give me Kane for Virtanen/Boeser so I can speed up the "rebuild" ?

I hope this doesn't happen. If it does say goodbye to one of Tanev, Hutton, Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi. Yuck!

Yeah there's no way Benning gives up any of them for Kane, let alone entertains trade offers for them period, as he has clearly said.  I believe he would resign before doing such a deal if so forced.  Timmy Murray has a diminishing asset and everyone knows it, including him.

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

let's be honest, at this point in his career, Kane is a 2nd/3rd line tweeter based on his recent production

Tanev is a consistent top pairing d man.

Do you trade a 2nd/3rd liner tweeter for a top pairing d man?

Adam Larsson snagged a franchise forward...

Larsson is better than Tanev but not by much, the two are very comparable

Kane was still on pace for 25 goals based on a full season of 82 games last year. Not a top line guy at this point but 100% a 2nd liner. If he had more drive, work ethic and focus his potential would've been realized more significantly. 

5 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Kane was still on pace for 25 goals based on a full season of 82 games last year. Not a top line guy at this point but 100% a 2nd liner. If he had more drive, work ethic and focus his potential would've been realized more significantly. 

Actually, his work ethic and drive is superb. He had always put in a terrific effort and is very responsible defensively.

The problem, which people who haven't watched him as regularly as myself or Sabrefan don't know, is that he is the Basketball equivalent of a "Chuck and Duck" player. He's a shooting guard who takes 3 pointers far beyond the arc when it is not prudent to do so.

Translation? He shoots from far out with zero traffic in front of the net. That's all he is. And that's perfectly fine for a second line player not making the $5M+ he's getting. However, he is nothing more than what we've already seen.

Archived