The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] TSN - Canucks still kicking tires on Kane

Provost

if we are trading Tanev, I would hope its for more of a sure fire top 6 player.

Tanev + Virtanen for Landeskog and 3rd 2017.

Tanev + CBJ 2nd for Draisiatl ( I don't want RNH)

Tanev for Ehlers

Tanev + CBJ 2nd for Nylander

Tanev for Barzal and NYI 2nd (heck Griffin cost a 1st and 2nd) and 5th

Tanev + CBJ 2nd for Saad

Tanev +3rd for Konecny + 2nd

Tanev + Virtanen for Tiffoli + 3rd

Tanev + CBJ 2nd for Sam Reinhart + 3rd

these are the types of trades that make more sense

4 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Tanev for Ehlers

Tanev + CBJ 2nd for Saad

Ehlers wouldn't work as the Jets are already stacked on the right side of their blueline.  Draisaitl would definitely tempt me but I'm betting Edmonton finds a taker for RNH.

29 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

What the Sabres need is pretty much the same as us...they need scoring.

Lack of production from Kane, Ennis being hurt....there are 2 goal scorers right there along with losing Eichel and there pretty much in a fine pickle.

They are like us in that they aren't really giving up many goals 

Franson and Kulikov are both UFA at years end with Kulikov looking like he shouldn't have any problems getting re-signed. I think Tanev does help stabilize the right side there for another 2-3 years at roughly the same price as what  Franson is earning this year. 

You're right that Buffalo needs scoring, since they're worse than us in goals for. but defensive stability isn't their problem. They're currently tied for 5th in the league for the least amount of goals against. Tied with Nashville and Washington. But if they need scoring, then why bring back Tanev for Kane? Wouldn't they rather bring back someone who can do what they expected out of Kulikov or Franson, someone who can play bigger minutes on defence but improve their offence?

29 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

As far as the trade of Tanev straight up for Kane, you and I can debate this til we are blue in the face on that one and both be right. We truly don't know if it would be 100% Benning and Co. or if Ownership has their fingers in it....we will never know. Remember when Aquaman wanted Nonis to get Brad Richards out of Tampa and Aqua was telling him ""Add, Add" along with Kesler just to get Richards. Nonis held firm and ultimately cost him his job, so who do we believe?

Straight up for Kane is most definitely not happening. I don't think there could be a package Buffalo is willing to offer that would convince us to move Tanev either. But my point is more that I don't think Buffalo wants to offer Kane to bring back someone like Tanev anyway. It's not even about who to believe or who's more motivated between ownership and management to keep pursuing a potential deal for Kane.

The trade will be Virtanen Subban and a 5th for Kane and a 2nd.

It will be sold as "Kane is where we want Virtanen to be but he's ready now and Subban was buried on the depth charts so was expendable.  Our stated goal was to make the playoffs and we feel this helps us" trade

Tell me that doesn't sound like a Benning trade

24 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Tanev for Ehlers

Tanev + CBJ 2nd for Saad

That's alot of spaghetti thrown at that wall.

Slap yourself tho for packaging Tanev AND Virtanen tho

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Everyone calm the frack down. No trades have happened yet. 

.. interesting to see that on the CDC app I have for the Nuck's,

Tanev is not on the game roster,

not on the scratched list,

and not asterisk'D as being Injured Reserve on the Team Roster.

im sure it's an oversight,. But sometimes things make you go.. hmmmmm.

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It will be sold as "Kane is where we want Virtanen to be but he's ready now and Subban was buried on the depth charts so was expendable.  Our stated goal was to make the playoffs and we feel this helps us" trade

Buffalo doesn't want a forward, they want D-men.

It would be more like Hutton and a 2nd for Kane.

10 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

You're right that Buffalo needs scoring, since they're worse than us in goals for. but defensive stability isn't their problem. They're currently tied for 5th in the league for the least amount of goals against. Tied with Nashville and Washington. But if they need scoring, then why bring back Tanev for Kane? Wouldn't they rather bring back someone who can do what they expected out of Kulikov or Franson, someone who can play bigger minutes on defence but improve their offence?

Straight up for Kane is most definitely not happening. I don't think there could be a package Buffalo is willing to offer that would convince us to move Tanev either. But my point is more that I don't think Buffalo wants to offer Kane to bring back someone like Tanev anyway. It's not even about who to believe or who's more motivated between ownership and management to keep pursuing a potential deal for Kane.

I can't help but think that Buffalo is the side that's in the bigger pinch than us or anyone else and not dealing from a position of strength. I'm curious if Van is the only team willing to take on Kane and his contract while coughing up whatever assets to get him.  Ya, I'm sure that there are teams watching from afar or kicking tires but many aren't offering what Buffalo paid to get him. Surely they take cap back along with a 2nd or 3rd. 

If Tanev is Vancouver's chip then I personally like to see a decent prospect added and Buffalo is deep in quite a few positions to make that happen.

D prospects such as 

Guhrle from PA Raiders

Fitzgerald out of Boston College 

Will Borgen from St. Cloud

are guys that come to mind

Forward prospects such as 

JT Compier 

Baptista

Cliff Pu

Hudson Faching

are guys that could also really help

Murphy and Valk say Buf needs D so Tanev soars to the top of their wish list

Tanev to Buf for Kane and 1 or 2 of the above prospects I listed above seems like a good deal

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Subban would be further buried on Buffalo's d prospect chart

Maybe when WD said Virtanen had "stuff" to pack, he meant pack ALL his stuff for his eventual trade lol.

Seriously....If Virtanen can play under a different coach than WD then he will get the love and trust to further develop and actually have fun playing 

2 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Yuck...Hutton is our eventual replacement for Edler

Don't see him as a top pairing guy. A solid top 4 most likely.

Not saying I would do that deal, but that's likely the ballpark of Buffalo's asking price. Gotta remember Hutton is a relative unknown around the league. Other GMs aren't gonna attach as much value to him as we do.

48 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That...is sadly correct. Not what I wanna see though.

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Buffalo doesn't want a forward, they want D-men.

It would be more like Hutton and a 2nd for Kane.

Subban is a D man.  A point producing one.  They're actually solid on the GAA but two young guys to grow with their emerging core while shedding that contract is far from out of the realms of possibility

Archived