The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] TSN - Canucks still kicking tires on Kane

Provost

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm very intrigued by Kane's skill level. I think everyone would be. He may or may not blossom here, but one thing I am a bit hesitant about, besides the return that Buffalo might want is that he might influence Virtanen in the wrong way.

Or that he could cost Virtanen + before we even know what Virtanen develops into. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Yep... while I don't think you can use the Hall for Larsson trade as market value since Edmonton got robbed.... Tanev is a much more highly regarded defencman than Larsson.  He is also a top pairing guy signed to a ridiculously low cap hit going forward.

I have no issues at all moving on from Tanev, but you have to maximize value.  Unless a team blows you away, his value is likely to be much higher at the deadline for a contender with an injury or in the offseason as teams try to replace players lost in the expansion draft.

That's debatable, but I totally agree if we move someone like Tanev (solid player, young, good cap hit) you definitely only do it if you maximize value.

But yeah, people jumping to "oh Benning will offer Tanev for Kane straight up clearly" as if that's the only outcome from this. But then that's a conclusion without any forethought. For instance, Buffalo has top right D already. Ristolanen and Bogosian are right side, as is Franson. They could still upgrade there, but they're stronger on the right than they are on the left. Kulikov, Gorges - both have no points so far this year. They'd aim for someone to maybe help offensively but perhaps as a two-way, left side D who can do more than what they're getting now.

We are not moving Tanev to them, and they likely are looking at other options in any case as a return for Kane.

Tanev for Kane, love it.

Buffalo should take the over on the cap hit from Kane to equalize.. perhaps we get a 3rd to 5th rounder as well.

Tanev is getting thoroughly beat up these past 2 seasons.. does not hit, chases forwards. Looks great skating out of his own end.. great first time pass.

and because of his stats looks awesome in analytics.

He will do better with another club, and is an asset to move from a position of strength as Stetcher can replace him nicely.

Kane is a powerhouse, great shot, physical presence.. and would be a fantastic start of the change needed from the "rope a dope" offence we have.

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Kane has scored many many more goals than Yakupov. 30, 20,19,19,17 are sample goal totals from previous years. I don't advocate moving our pieces for him, but that's why he's immediately worth more than Yak was at the time of Yak's trade. 

Yakupov

Goals per game:  52/265 = 0.196

Points per game:  115/265 = 0.434

Kane:

Goals per game:  129/430 = 0.3

Points per game:  257/430 = 0.598

Their stats are relatively comparable once you factor in the type of team each player were on.

Yakupov is still 3 years younger, 3.5 million less in salary cap, and no off-ice issue.  

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

That's debatable, but I totally agree if we move someone like Tanev (solid player, young, good cap hit) you definitely only do it if you maximize value.

But yeah, people jumping to "oh Benning will offer Tanev for Kane straight up clearly" as if that's the only outcome from this. But then that's a conclusion without any forethought. For instance, Buffalo has top right D already. Ristolanen and Bogosian are right side, as is Franson. They could still upgrade there, but they're stronger on the right than they are on the left. Kulikov, Gorges - both have no points so far this year. They'd aim for someone to maybe help offensively but perhaps as a two-way, left side D who can do more than what they're getting now.

We are not moving Tanev to them, and they likely are looking at other options in any case as a return for Kane.

Bogosian is hurt as usual and Franson flat out suck. Also Kulikov is injured. Buffalo is in huge need of Defenders. Rolling out Tanev on their 2nd pairing would be huge.

If it's Tanev in the deal then I'm hoping to see Buffalo add. 2nd or decent prospect would suffice BUT, I'm seeing  Baertschi as also the odd man out in the LW position.

6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Yakupov

Goals per game:  52/265 = 0.196

Points per game:  115/265 = 0.434

Kane:

Goals per game:  129/430 = 0.3

Points per game:  257/430 = 0.598

Their stats are relatively comparable once you factor in the type of team each player were on.

Yakupov is still 3 years younger, 3.5 million less in salary cap, and no off-ice issue.  

Look I'm not going to sit here and rip Yakupov, and I get what you're saying, but in my opinion Kane's on ice resume is better than Yakupov's at this point and again, in my opinion, it's not even debatable. 

12 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Bogosian is hurt as usual and Franson flat out suck. Also Kulikov is injured. Buffalo is in huge need of Defenders. Rolling out Tanev on their 2nd pairing would be huge.

If it's Tanev in the deal then I'm hoping to see Buffalo add. 2nd or decent prospect would suffice BUT, I'm seeing  Baertschi as also the odd man out in the LW position.

Bogosian has been injured, and will be a bit longer but they have to consider their roster spots that are open when they're healthy. Franson on the 3rd pairing is fine.

Kulikov on the other hand is only day to day but even when he was playing he had yet to score. Gorges you might expect that much out of, but Kulikov is particularly struggling. SabreFan can give us a better perspective I'm sure, but while Tanev wouldn't hurt (he won't hurt any team) he's not what they're looking for in a return most likely.

Archived