The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] TSN - Canucks still kicking tires on Kane

Provost

1 minute ago, Pears said:

And I think what Kane said last night about his team (although true), might have steered Benning away from. I was 50/50 on a potential trade, but I still think we'll acquire him eventually. 

It had nothing to do with that.  The talks supposedly broke down yesterday.  I've been saying for months now that Murray can't just give him away for peanuts.  The market just isn't there for Kane and won't even be there at the TDL unless he starts to net some goals while staying off of the injury list.

14 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

He doesn't have the assets to part with to take a chance on a wild card like Kane and even he knows it.

Sooo....

In the event Jimbo does the inevitable when a GM is under scrutiny

Do the Sabres want Hutton or Tanev or Sbisa and any one or two of a 2nd round pick, Virtanen or Subban?

I had it pegged at Subban Virtanen and a 2nd for Kane some retention and a 5th

2 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I don't like Virtanen at all. He has a bad attitude and he has earned himself a spot at Utica because of it. And as far as Virtanen not having any abusive/criminal behavior - he is only 20 years old. Give him some time. Like I said, he has 5 years to go until he reaches where Evander Kane is soon. Are you a Canucks fan?

There is only one team: CANUCKS.  

The thing that really, really scares me is that Jim Benning and Co. have made it very clear that they seem supremely loyal to "THEIR GUYS" ... which are guys they have drafted/signed. Anyone who isn't drafted or signed by Benning is at risk of being traded. Benning is like a male lion who kills off cubs that aren't his own.

This brings me to Ben Hutton.... the nicest freaking guy and the kind of guy who can really become a fan favourite. He is even more likeable than Eddie Lack and that's saying a lot. But Hutton isn't a benning guy. Sure, he grew under Benning's thumb, BUT he was drafted in the Gillis era and Benning probably doesn't like that. This is what scares me about Hutton. Compare that to Luca Sbisa, who is a benning guy, and you have to be concerned.

Also, Jim Benning has practiced what I call the "Buy low sell high" tactic. He did that with Jared McCann. He thinks he sold high (sold off a 19 year old kid who had a decent rookie year) and bought low (picked up a 1st round pick who did not live up to his hype, was demanding a large contract and has bad corsi numbers). Big Jim is a gambler... and he wants to do the same thing with Evander Kane. Could Hutton be his ultimate "sell high" guy? Does he think Hutton had his best year as a rookie? After all, we can all agree Hutton is having a worse year this year. Maybe Benning thinks Hutton overshined in his 1st year and won't ever do better.

For the record I am NOT saying I agree with Jim Benning, merely saying how I think he thinks and how his mind works. All I can say is I pray to god he doesn't trade Ben Hutton. That would be the absolute worst thing for me. Hutton is my favourite player. Then again, being a nice guy doesn't always cut it. He traded Eddie Lack away. And Florida traded Gudbranson (who was VERY VERY well liked by Florida fans) away to us. So unfortunately this may actually happen. How sad that would be though.

1 minute ago, DonaldBrashear said:

The thing that really, really scares me is that Jim Benning and Co. have made it very clear that they seem supremely loyal to "THEIR GUYS" ... which are guys they have drafted/signed. Anyone who isn't drafted or signed by Benning is at risk of being traded. Benning is like a male lion who kills off cubs that aren't his own.

This brings me to Ben Hutton.... the nicest freaking guy and the kind of guy who can really become a fan favourite. He is even more likeable than Eddie Lack and that's saying a lot. But Hutton isn't a benning guy. Sure, he grew under Benning's thumb, BUT he was drafted in the Gillis era and Benning probably doesn't like that. This is what scares me about Hutton. Compare that to Luca Sbisa, who is a benning guy, and you have to be concerned.

Also, Jim Benning has practiced what I call the "Buy low sell high" tactic. He did that with Jared McCann. He thinks he sold high (sold off a 19 year old kid who had a decent rookie year) and bought low (picked up a 1st round pick who did not live up to his hype, was demanding a large contract and has bad corsi numbers). Big Jim is a gambler... and he wants to do the same thing with Evander Kane. Could Hutton be his ultimate "sell high" guy? Does he think Hutton had his best year as a rookie? After all, we can all agree Hutton is having a worse year this year. Maybe Benning thinks Hutton overshined in his 1st year and won't ever do better.

For the record I am NOT saying I agree with Jim Benning, merely saying how I think he thinks and how his mind works. All I can say is I pray to god he doesn't trade Ben Hutton. That would be the absolute worst thing for me. Hutton is my favourite player.

I am on your side about trading away high picks, and young prospects.  Rebuilding teams trying to get good again too quickly are only postponing the inevitable.  

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sooo....

Do the Sabres want Hutton or Tanev or Sbisa and any one or two of a 2nd round pick, Virtanen or Subban?

McKenzie does not believe that Sbisa is a trade option.  This week re Kane:  “So I don’t know whether Vancouver has any interest whatsoever in going down that road. They’d probably say, ‘You can have Luca Sbisa is you want.’ But nobody is going to want a third-pair guy that in their mind makes too much money for too long.”

22 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

But Hutton isn't a benning guy. Sure, he grew under Benning's thumb, BUT he was drafted in the Gillis era and Benning probably doesn't like that. This is what scares me about Hutton. Compare that to Luca Sbisa, who is a benning guy, and you have to be concerned.

Based on what?  By that logic, Horvat's days are numbered.

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

For 6mil/year the asset had better be a point-per-game player, or a Selke caliber forward - neither of which describes Saad . 

There are a ton of guys getting 6 mill a year in todays NHL and they don't all win the Selke or are a PPG. Id rather have one Saads age than the guy who was brought in to play with the twins. 6 mill is not out of whack. I'm not saying trade for David Clarkson.

Just now, garthsbutcher said:

There are a ton of guys getting 6 mill a year in todays NHL and they don't all win the Selke or are a PPG. Id rather have one Saads age than the guy who was brought in to play with the twins. 6 mill is not out of whack. I'm not saying trade for David Clarkson.

And Saad is young too.  He would definitely be in our top six.  

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Sooo....

Do you think they wanted 

Tanev + Boeser for kane. Glad benning stopped talking to that GM 

34 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Thank goodness Benning is moving away from Kane now. Those comments regarding scoring two goals on Buffalo is just plain stupid. 

I took it as he was talking about his team, himself included,. He never excluded himself from those comments,. The media did by saying he was throwing his team under the bus..

He was trying to hold everyone accountable.. while the press looks for more to report.

Just like the media in this town, they think that they are General Managers with Psychological Degrees. 

1 hour ago, DonaldBrashear said:

For the record I am NOT saying I agree with Jim Benning, merely saying how I think he thinks and how his mind works. All I can say is I pray to god he doesn't trade Ben Hutton. That would be the absolute worst thing for me. Hutton is my favourite player. Then again, being a nice guy doesn't always cut it. He traded Eddie Lack away. And Florida traded Gudbranson (who was VERY VERY well liked by Florida fans) away to us. So unfortunately this may actually happen. How sad that would be though.

quite the mind reader

wonder where you developed those skills

i'm skeptical about the accuracy of what you say JB is thinking

6 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I'd rather have Saad then Kane any day and they would cost us about the same,only thing is CBJ owe us a 2nd which we could use in that deal or any other but think they would be ok with getting it back

Why not get both players;) we can get both of them in imo!

5 hours ago, firestorm238 said:

If they trade Boeser or Juolevi for Kane - I will cancel my Gamecentre subscription, close this account, and not watch another Canucks game until this management team is removed / the team is sold for pennies on the dollar.  

I would join you in that. As much as I'd like Kane if JB dares trade Boeser or Juolevi I'm done with this team. That would be a rip off of epic proportions we haven't seen in over a decade especially considering the off ice issues.

I have more faith in Benning though. Buffalo probably were wanting those players, but he said hell no. I could live with Sbisa + a prospect or pick or possibly Virtanen or Tanev depending (key word here) on the deal. Any of our blue chips and 1st round picks  are off limits. Kane's value is low, Benning please don't make me look like a fool.

Archived