The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] TSN - Canucks still kicking tires on Kane

Provost

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

DTroYd_VMAEEb6Z.jpg

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So.......Evander is hitting free agency then.

Yeah there gonna botch this trade deadline like they did last year.  They couldn't move Kulikov and whomever else they had because they tried to outwait teams.  Just get what you can get and move on.  Don't start with nutty asks.  Start small see where the conversation takes you!

A roster player (20 goal scorer)

a top prospect

middling pick

Sure I can see that.  But a 1st rounder... on top of that. you nutts.  be realistic if your lucky that middling pick will become a 2nd.

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

If that is the asking price then he is leaving for Vegas as a Free Agent. The Duchene asking price. 

I am think that considering the success and chemistry Vegas is having, they aren’t going to want to sign him.

In their situation why risk it?  They got a bunch of underdogs with solid character who have invented a great team chemistry from scratch.  They have prospects galore coming up the pipe.  They are enjoying great success in the community.

My bet is there will be fewer suitors than folks expect.  Maybe 10 teams kicking the tires, and 5 actually interested.  Not many teams have the cap space, he actual dollars, the roster spot, and the desperation to throw a $6+ million contract on a 6 year term for a guy who has underperformed and had a history.

I DO expect we are one of those teams though.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I am think that considering the success and chemistry Vegas is having, they aren’t going to want to sign him.

In their situation why risk it?  They got a bunch of underdogs with solid character who have invented a great team chemistry from scratch.  They have prospects galore coming up the pipe.  They are enjoying great success in the community.

My bet is there will be fewer suitors than folks expect.  Maybe 10 teams kicking the tires, and 5 actually interested.  Not many teams have the cap space, the roster spot, and the desperation to throw a $6+ million contract on a 6 year term for a guy who has underperformed and had a history.

Very good point. Doesn't make a lot of sense to bring in Kane for Vegas, but if they can get him relatively cheap maybe take a shot? Vegas wouldn't be a terrible place to play. Leave some money on the table for a good situation. Who knows with Kane though.

I hope Benning isn't big on Kane. We have Eriksson already, I don't imagine Kane will be that level of disappointing but still disappointing. Benning is big on character so I am thinking Kane isn't on Benning's radar. Hopefully anyway. 

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So.......Evander is hitting free agency then.

Right? That makes absolutely no sense. Here we are debating whether Vanek is going to be worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick...he has 4 points less than Kane! There's no way Kane is worth 3 or 4 times what Vanek is. A handful of teams won't even touch the guy. 

On 11/15/2016 at 4:06 PM, Provost said:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-canucks-still-keeping-tabs-on-evander-kane-s-availability~995461

The rumour that won't go away... probably because Aquilini is in love with him.

The trade that makes sense now is Tanev for Kane....

:wacko:

On 11/16/2016 at 11:35 AM, Provost said:

If you think that Buffalo can't get at least Virtanen+Sbisa for Kane... there is literally no way to bring you to reality.

That is even way on the low end and a deep discount for a player with Kane's skills.

On 11/16/2016 at 3:42 PM, Provost said:

The Buffalo blogger on Hockeybuzz is probably the worst writer and judge of hockey I have ever seen.

Today's blog has him saying that Hutton + Virtanen is a reasonable trade for Kane.

Not in a million years.

On 11/19/2016 at 11:01 PM, Provost said:

That means Sbisa and a pick/prospect or Hutton and them sending an extra sweetener back our way as well.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I'm not sure you know what to think yourself, let alone bring others to "reality" or speak for what 'we' (rather, Canucks management) are thinking.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Right? That makes absolutely no sense. Here we are debating whether Vanek is going to be worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick...he has 4 points less than Kane! There's no way Kane is worth 3 or 4 times what Vanek is. A handful of teams won't even touch the guy. 

Vanek's 4 less points also come playing 14 minutes a night to Kane's 20.

Not sure what Buffalo is thinking.

I personally don't respect Dreger's integrity as a source - at all.

If their ask were anywhere near that rumour, you have to think they're risking inadvertantly shutting the market for Kane down entirely - which leaves them with the option of trying to re-sign him themselves - after they've pumped his value as if he should command a franchise player's rental return. 

What Dreger claims doesn't make sense - nor does Buffalo publicizing a set price without the leverage to command it - with a pending UFA with a poor reputation.

I'm not buying it - if Murray were still there, with the need to recover from his original horrible deal, who knows, he might be desperate enough to attempt to pull that kind of rabbit out of his hat - but I doubt Botterill would be telegraphing Dreger - and I find the 'leaks' that constantly flow out of Laffsmedia both lacking in credibility and professionalism.

On 2018-01-14 at 1:24 AM, YummyCakeFace said:

Bennings so dumb he'll trade the farm for him and he'll sign somewhere else in the offseason 

What has JB done that was so dumb exactly? I’d like to hear your thoughts. Besides signing Erickson, which was very poor. I think he’s improved and I like his drafting for the most part. 

58 minutes ago, oldnews said:

:wacko:

I'm not sure you know what to think yourself, let alone bring others to "reality" or speak for what 'we' (rather, Canucks management) are thinking.

It is sad and amusing that you keep sitting there in your basement spending so much time digging up old posts of mine.  It is a weird fetish and really shows how upset you get about being proven wrong repeatedly.

Especially when you go through all that effort and can’t make a coherent point.  What is your point exactly?

Kane’s value is different in 2018 than it was in 2016.  He isn’t just recently in the spotlight for the wrong reasons and he has managed a solid level of production since then.

He also is a rental now, rather than someone with two years of term left like he did then.

2016 Hutton was worth a lot more than 2016 Sbisa

I am not suggesting we trade for him as a rental and have repeatedly said that.  I do think that the team will be picking up the phone to make a serious offer to him as a UFA this summer.

You are one of the most unpleasant posters on this board. You mainly heckle other folks by telling them they have to prove their opinions, yet you provide zero proof of yours.  You pull out cherry picked statistics to prove points, then when the statistics go against you... you argue that it is really the intangibles that matter when judging players and the numbers don’t matter. 

The aame few people “like” your posts repeatedly, and i can only assume they are alt accounts to help you feel like you have some status.

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is sad and amusing that you keep sitting there in your basement spending so much time digging up old posts of mine.  It is a weird fetish and really shows how upset you get about being proven wrong repeatedly.

Especially when you go through all that effort and can’t make a coherent point.  What is your point exactly?

Kane’s value is different in 2018 than it was in 2016.  He isn’t just recently in the spotlight for the wrong reasons and he has managed a solid level of production since then.

He also is a rental now, rather than someone with two years of term left like he did then.

2016 Hutton was worth a lot more than 2016 Sbisa

I am not suggesting we trade for him as a rental and have repeatedly said that.  I do think that the team will be picking up the phone to make a serious offer to him as a UFA this summer.

You are one of the most unpleasant posters on this board. You mainly heckle other folks by telling them they have to prove their opinions, yet you provide zero proof of yours.  You pull out cherry picked statistics to prove points, then when the statistics go against you... you argue that it is really the intangibles that matter when judging players and the numbers don’t matter. 

The aame few people “like” your posts repeatedly, and i can only assume they are alt accounts to help you feel like you have some status.

ironically little hockey talk there.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

ironically little hockey talk there.

Actually lots, but I  know, it is my fault for engaging with you.  One of my faults is trying to give the respect that people are actually trying to contribute.  I know better about you now.

I made the mistake of responding to every one of the points you “kind of” brought up.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Vanek's 4 less points also come playing 14 minutes a night to Kane's 20.

Not sure what Buffalo is thinking.

I personally don't respect Dreger's integrity as a source - at all.

If their ask were anywhere near that rumour, you have to think they're risking inadvertantly shutting the market for Kane down entirely - which leaves them with the option of trying to re-sign him themselves - after they've pumped his value as if he should command a franchise player's rental return. 

What Dreger claims doesn't make sense - nor does Buffalo publicizing a set price without the leverage to command it - with a pending UFA with a poor reputation.

I'm not buying it - if Murray were still there, with the need to recover from his original horrible deal, who knows, he might be desperate enough to attempt to pull that kind of rabbit out of his hat - but I doubt Botterill would be telegraphing Dreger - and I find the 'leaks' that constantly flow out of Laffsmedia both lacking in credibility and professionalism.

I have a hard time seeing anyone getting into a bidding war for EK. If someone were to offer up 1 good piece like a mid to late 1st, they'd be stupid not to take it. That's a pretty good future asset for a guy with a horrible rep that's as good as gone as soon as July 1st hits. I honestly don't even think a 1st round pick will be on the table though. 

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Okay, I wasn't going to reply to this at first but seriously, are people not allowed to change their opinions over the course of a year? It's not like we're all robots. We all have brains and can think for ourselves. Not to mention players have brains and can have good years and bad years and change in value.

Don't get me wrong. I don't even 100% agree with what Provost said, but this is silly.

EDIT: Even chiliwiggins has changed his tone about Boeser for example which actually earned a bit of respect from me (even though I still don't agree with most of what he says)

36 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I have a hard time seeing anyone getting into a bidding war for EK. If someone were to offer up 1 good piece like a mid to late 1st, they'd be stupid not to take it. That's a pretty good future asset for a guy with a horrible rep that's as good as gone as soon as July 1st hits. I honestly don't even think a 1st round pick will be on the table though. 

Lol I thought you were talking about Karlsson at first and thought you were out of your mind....

.... then I read the title of the thread....

oops....

On 11/15/2016 at 4:06 PM, Provost said:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-canucks-still-keeping-tabs-on-evander-kane-s-availability~995461

The rumour that won't go away... probably because Aquilini is in love with him.

The trade that makes sense now is Tanev for Kane.... I am not heartily opposed, but I think at this point Buffalo would need to add in a serious kicker to even it out.

A straight up trade would be if Kane wasn't damaged goods... but he is.  Add to that, top 4 defence are going to be worth gold once the expansion happens.  A third of teams will lose one of their top 4 and need to replace them.  That is likely when Tanev's worth is highest.

They would have to add a high draft pick and a blue chip prospect for it be to worth pulling the trigger now.

By the way, here is one of the whole posts that I made 100 games ago, and not just the cherry picked bits.

The TSN insider trading guys were taking about Buffalo wanting a D as the return for Kane and hearing we were making calls about it.

I figured Tanev would be a player they could be targeting as something that made sense from their end.

At the time we had Stecher, Gudbranson, and Tryamkin on that side, so Tanev wasn’t untouchable on our end.... but I still wouldn’t have done it because I rightly guessed that McPhee was going to take a bunch of D in the expansion and Tanev would be worth more after that. 

Context is everything.

If that asking price is correct there is no way the canucks are paying it. Second if they do manage to offload Kane for that price to another team you can guarantee that team is going to sign Kane to a longer term deal and there is no way he is coming back to Vancouver as a UFA in the off-season. Which imo is and has always been a pipe dream. 

Archived