The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] TSN - Canucks still kicking tires on Kane

Provost

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

For the right price/term? Yup. 

Canucks have had plenty of 'altercations' over the years too, with plenty of good players. I'm sure Kesler was in the middle of a few. If you could go back in time, would you take him off our 2011 team? 

Good point! Add Burrows as well. Hell, we even had Tikkanen back in the day. Even Linden said sh** disturbers are valuable to a team. 

9 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

When salo used to play for us I was sick and tired if him being injured all the time. It's turning into the same gig with tanev.

If we traded tanev straight across for kane ide  be happy as long as we got kane signed . 

Wait until he is ufa  don't risk any assets, Kane has a lengthy injury history as well The Hockey News

41 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Why? Sign him in the off-season. We can’t afford to trade our prospects. 

Yep, it literally makes zero sense to trade for a guy on an expiring contract in a season that we are already effectively eliminated from the playoffs.

If he wants to sign wth us in the offseason, great.  We can use the skill set at a reasonable price of $6-7 million.

We need a guy to take some of the double teaming off of Boeser.  They could be lethal on a line together since you can’t just focus on shutting one guy down.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Yep, it literally makes zero sense to trade for a guy on an expiring contract in a season that we are already effectively eliminated from the playoffs.

If he wants to sign wth us in the offseason, great.  We can use the skill set at a reasonable price of $6-7 million.

We need a guy to take some of the double teaming off of Boeser.  They could be lethal on a line together since you can’t just focus on shutting one guy down.

We have to remember that we're talking about a guy that has more baggage than anyone in the NHL, has a long injury history and is usually a 40 point guy who is suddenly peforming better in a contract year. These are all big red flags and his contract will need to reflect that if we're to consider signing him. There's going to be teams that wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. That means NO to $7M and NO to 6+ years. If he wants to come home, it needs to be a deal that makes sense. UFAs without all of these warning signs turn out to be awful signings all the time. Take note! 5 years at $6M per is the most I'd do and part of me doesn't even want to go that high. Sure, we could use EK the player (although I'd argue he's likely somewhere in between the 40 point player and the player you see this year) but there's potential to have a signing like this blow up in your face in more than one way, with his production coming back down to where it was and in the dressing room where he's proven himself not to be a team 1st guy. 

So many people think this Kane is the better one.

He's overrated severely on this board. It's another "Virtanen" situation; people want him because hometown kid blah blah blah.

We already signed one guy to a 6m deal long term because he did great in a contract year. Why on earth would we want another one? We're finally turning the corner on the state of the franchise. Losing is tough, it sucks. Evander Kane will not help us win. Buffalo's record is worse than ours!

We want to bring assets in not hand them out. Why would Benning be wasting time on a player that we can sign in the summer? Tell me that this is just a stupid rumor. 

They need to be spending time and energy on getting something back for Guddy.

10 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Asking price for evander kane seems to be 2nd+ prospect. 

McKenzie and LeBrun both say:  A 1st round pick + a prospect + a conditional pick if he re-signs.

LeBrun on TSN1050 (transcript via Chris Nichols): “Yeah, no question,” responded LeBrun. “I talked about it on Insider Trading last night, but the price has been established. The Sabres would like to get a first-round pick, a prospect, and potentially a conditional pick for Evander Kane – a pretty big package. The conditional pick, of course, depends on whether that team who gets him re-signs him."

no interest in a player with a long list of personal issues who's set to cash in by having a career season in the most important contract year of his career.

whoever signs him this offseason will be laden with regret almost immediately. 

13 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

When salo used to play for us I was sick and tired if him being injured all the time. It's turning into the same gig with tanev.

If we traded tanev straight across for kane ide  be happy as long as we got kane signed . 

Yup Tanev being injured lots sucks but no way I would want that trade.

9 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Why? Sign him in the off-season. We can’t afford to trade our prospects. 

A trade for him is silly but signing him long term at big money is silly as well imo.

2 hours ago, tas said:

no interest in a player with a long list of personal issues who's set to cash in by having a career season in the most important contract year of his career.

whoever signs him this offseason will be laden with regret almost immediately. 

Totally agree.

7 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

We have to remember that we're talking about a guy that has more baggage than anyone in the NHL, has a long injury history and is usually a 40 point guy who is suddenly peforming better in a contract year. These are all big red flags and his contract will need to reflect that if we're to consider signing him. There's going to be teams that wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. That means NO to $7M and NO to 6+ years. If he wants to come home, it needs to be a deal that makes sense. UFAs without all of these warning signs turn out to be awful signings all the time. Take note! 5 years at $6M per is the most I'd do and part of me doesn't even want to go that high. Sure, we could use EK the player (although I'd argue he's likely somewhere in between the 40 point player and the player you see this year) but there's potential to have a signing like this blow up in your face in more than one way, with his production coming back down to where it was and in the dressing room where he's proven himself not to be a team 1st guy. 

Yikes 5 years no way not for Kane.

8 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I think you have to ask who the leadership of the Canucks will be in 3 years. The question about Kane is his character. Team mates in both Winnipeg and Buffalo have complained. That doesn't happen casually. Transfer those issues onto a young leadership group circa 2021. One has to ask why the Canucks would take a risk like that with all the young talent they have coming up. If Benning does his due diligence and decides he wants Kane then most definitely it cannot be a trade for draft picks. Sign him as a UFA but even then he will want term and $$$'s. I do not see it happening. 

8 hours ago, brownky said:

So many people think this Kane is the better one.

He's overrated severely on this board. It's another "Virtanen" situation; people want him because hometown kid blah blah blah.

We already signed one guy to a 6m deal long term because he did great in a contract year. Why on earth would we want another one? We're finally turning the corner on the state of the franchise. Losing is tough, it sucks. Evander Kane will not help us win. Buffalo's record is worse than ours!

28 goals last year in 70 games?

Plays a style that can help you even when he is not scoring?  

How does that equal Virtanen exactly?

Kesler had a bad attitude and wasn’t liked in the locker room. Apparently same for Bertuzzi.  Those guys didn’t destroy the teams they played on and we did OK in their prime years.  Maybe some bad attitude is what we need some of.

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

28 goals last year in 70 games?

Plays a style that can help you even when he is not scoring?  

How does that equal Virtanen exactly?

Kesler had a bad attitude and wasn’t liked in the locker room. Apparently same for Bertuzzi.  Those guys didn’t destroy the teams they played on and we did OK in their prime years. 

Kane was essentially thrown off a team.

So what exactly does his style help who do what? Have you seen buffalo's record with him on the team? Winnipegs? Atlanta's? Kane might help Kane, but the team doesn't win because of whatever it is you think he does.

The hometown connection is the 'Virtanen' equivalence for why he was/is desired. I thought I made that relatively clear in the OP.

Bertuzzi was on an amazing team that never got into the final four despite how they should have. Then he punched a guy and our franchise had a black mark on it for YEARS. One I'd say we still haven't shaken. I still have a Todd Bertuzzi poster, He was my favourite player growing up and I still have a soft spot... but the best thing he did for the franchise was be traded for Roberto Luongo. The WCE was entertaining though...

Kesler played for Kesler. How many times did he take a shot off someones' shinpads when another option was available? I recall the memes, even if you have a short memory about such things. And he was injured a lot, as is Kane.

Here's a quote (from Sportsnet) from a couple of days ago:

' “Shut the [expletive] up, you selfish [expletive],” Buffalo defenceman Justin Falk screamed at Evander Kane before shoving the Sabres’ star winger during a Wednesday practice, as heard by the Olean Times Herald’s Bill Hoppe. '

Another team where he's wearing out his welcome. That's not what we need. At all. If he was an 80 point player, I could hold my nose a bit at the rest. But he peaked at 57 points... 7 years ago. In a contract year.

47 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think you have to ask who the leadership of the Canucks will be in 3 years.

Bo Horvat

The question about Kane is his character. Team mates in both Winnipeg and Buffalo have complained.

Byfuglien flipped him the bird, but this is the same Byfuglien who was found boating wasted in Lake Minnetonka. So it would seem that he has his own issues.

Justin Falk is the only Buffalo teammate to complain and that was during a heated practice.

Three other Buffalo teammates have a very different take on Evander, in this excerpt from an article in The Hockey News:

"Ever try to buy a bottle of Louis XIII? Don’t, unless you’ve recently won the lottery. It will set you back $3,000, give or take. So when Sam Reinhart, Jack Eichel and Zach Bogosian pooled their (admittedly considerable) funds and presented the bottle to Kane, commemorating his 500th NHL game, he was beyond touched. It came in a fire-engine-red case, signed, Congrats on 500, Kaner! Reino, Eichs, Bogo."

That doesn't happen casually. Transfer those issues onto a young leadership group circa 2021.

You speak as if Horvat, Boeser, and whomever else would be the "leadership group" don't have the ability to make their own decisions, and that Kane would essentially come in and "ruin" them. That's just silly.

One has to ask why the Canucks would take a risk like that with all the young talent they have coming up. If Benning does his due diligence and decides he wants Kane then most definitely it cannot be a trade for draft picks. Sign him as a UFA but even then he will want term and $$$'s. I do not see it happening. 

That young talent is going to be brutalized in the Pacific division if Benning doesn't insert players willing and capable of standing up for them. There is no point in building a talented team built on speed and skill, if they are going to be pounded into dust because the majority of the players avoid contact.

Benning should stay away from trading for Kane, but should most definitely throw his hat in the ring when Kane hits free agency on July 1st.

Archived