The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's happening with this team? The new core is learning to win by themselves

*Buzzsaw*

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

When Hamhuis went down after trying to hip check Lucic, my first thought was the Canucks are toast.

They battled hard and made the series close; however, losing their best Dman (not to mention other Dmen who were lost and playing injured), contributed to the lack of scoring, and the Bruins winning their games easily. Good defence creates scoring chances, The Canucks fell short because of their injured Defence...Hamhuis being the biggest loss.

A team needs good defence to win and when a team loses their good defence, it is hard to win.

yeah cause Hamhuis's absence made them not score on the multiple PP's they played on right?

1 minute ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

This is a stupid argument, did you not see Crosby win key draws, or play the PK or make some great plays on the PP???  Does not even matter if he even scores points, he was named Conn Smythe because of his great play even without the puck. 

How much of a homer are you to diss Crosby? WOW. Go back to being a homer and @LaBamba's wife, you know nothing about hockey to diss Sid like this. The greatest player of our generation and you assign him secondary status? Are you dull bro?

Calm down. I didn't 'diss' Sid. 

I'm well aware he's a generational talent. But if even he can be shut down from producing offense, what are mere 'elite' (not generational) players like the twins to do? That's kind of the point that apparently flew right over your head.

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

yeah cause Hamhuis's absence made them not score on the multiple PP's they played on right?

Boston won their games

8-1

4-0

5-2

4-0

Scoring was a problem because we could not defend and you're right our PP was horrible.

Cause and effect.

Just now, EdgarM said:

No because I said the Twins scored 1 goal each in " 7 GAMES" . Kessler alone scored 4 in seven games in which you said he failed last year. See the difference?

Do you see what I'm saying?  It's a team game.  You can't cherry-pick criteria - like, if he didn't score in such and such a game he's not a good performer.  You are saying they didn't show up despite their impressive point totals.  That's why I'm turning it around on Kesler.  His team suffered an embarrassing game 7 loss - by your logic, he would have scored enough goals to win if he was, as the other posters require, "as good as Toews".  His whole job is to shutdown the other team right?  Are you a fantasy guy that just focuses on points as the way to measure performance?  Pinning the Canucks loss on the Sedins is utterly absurd.  I remember an end to end rush goal by Henrik when he was the last guy out there with legs.  Who effin cares about that.

Just now, J.R. said:

Calm down. I didn't 'diss' Sid. 

I'm well aware he's a generational talent. But if even he can be shut down from producing offense, what are mere 'elite' (not generational) players like the twins to do? That's kind of the point that apparently flew right over your head.

Shut down proving "offence"? Like i said, he was winning draws and setting up some AHL level players for some key goals. 

Maybe the fact Elite players seems to go over your head, because if you did not watch this recent cup finals and see that he was "shut down"..... that is a joke in itself, ask why was he awarded the conn smythe? You Kidding me bud? Keep your homer glasses on because apparently you cannot tell one of the greats from a scrub. 

Maybe show me some stats of how he won some key draws, how he scored while splitting some great D like hedman and how he raised the cup in front of your homer eyes??

Perhaps you should "calm down" in your homerism because it sure is not proving right at this moment. Now go put on a dress and be @LaBamba's wife. 

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Maybe that was the loss of the QB in Ehrhoff, who had one arm, and the shooter in Samuelsson.  But, I'm guessing the great Toews would have won all by himself.  Wait a sec....they have lost a few playoff series in games where he didn't score.  Maybe he's not that good.

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

Boston won their games

8-1

4-0

5-2

4-0

Scoring was a problem because we could not defend and you're right our PP was horrible.

Cause and effect.

And the flip side is that our defense was under too much pressure because we couldn't score timely goals.

We lost because of both lack of offense and porous defense/goaltending. 

It is embarrassing to not only lose game 7 on home ice but get shut out doing it. I think the Sedins deserve their share of that failure as do Luongo, the rest of the team, injuries, and AV. Lots to go around but absolving the Sedins is ridiculous. They get paid to score goals even in the "but they are really hard" playoffs.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I agree. Bo is the type of player that screams playoff competitor. I would be so happy to have a team that plays that hard charging style.

Funny you mention that.  In the 2015 playoffs,  The 19 year old Horvat (in his first ever post season) picked up 4 points in 6 games which matched both Danny and Hank.  But Bo played 6 min less per game than the twins and receive next to no power play time. 

2 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Do you see what I'm saying?  It's a team game.  You can't cherry-pick criteria - like, if he didn't score in such and such a game he's not a good performer.  You are saying they didn't show up despite their impressive point totals.  That's why I'm turning it around on Kesler.  His team suffered an embarrassing game 7 loss - by your logic, he would have scored enough goals to win if he was, as the other posters require, "as good as Toews".  His whole job is to shutdown the other team right?  Are you a fantasy guy that just focuses on points as the way to measure performance?  Pinning the Canucks loss on the Sedins is utterly absurd.  I remember an end to end rush goal by Henrik when he was the last guy out there with legs.  Who effin cares about that.

Yea I suppose a player with a Hip injury should be subjugated  to your terms eh bud??? Once again another dumb argument from your homer ass? Actually I do not even know if your are even being a homer or just an absolute Jack.

Kesler was one of the most dominant 2nd liners this league has ever seen, try to disprove me bud. Ask the Ducks this last year where Getz and Perry were.

Did you answer my quote bud? Show me where the Twins scored some CLUTCH goals! Otherwise stick to endless questions and acting like Eyeore from winne the pooh.

Thank you come again, maybe buy a slurpere because you need it??? Some sweetness in your life can be a beautiful thing.  

1 minute ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Shut down proving "offence"? Like i said, he was winning draws and setting up some AHL level players for some key goals. 

Maybe the fact Elite players seems to go over your head, because if you did not watch this recent cup finals and see that he was "shut down"..... that is a joke in itself, ask why was he awarded the conn smythe? You Kidding me bud? Keep your homer glasses on because apparently you cannot tell one of the greats from a scrub. 

Maybe show me some stats of how he won some key draws, how he scored while splitting some great D like hedman and how he raised the cup in front of your homer eyes??

Perhaps you should "calm down" in your homerism because it sure is not proving right at this moment. Now go put on a dress and be @LaBamba's wife. 

One, I wasn't specifically talking about last year. I said Sid has been effectively 'shutdown' and offensively limited in the playoffs in the past. All despite him being one of, if not the, best player of his generation. The stats are available if you want to go find them.

Two, this has nothing to do with 'homerism'. Merely illustrating out how you win playoff games.

Three, might want to tone down the insults and generally childish remarks. It does not help make whatever point you think you're making.

2 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Do you remember when Gretzky got shutdown in the finals and Messier did all the heavy lifting?  Now, I'm guessing you think Gretzky was a coward, and that Messier was some kind of uber-stud that all players should aspire to be, but regardless, if you care to look at any single championship team you will see that key scorers have gotten shutdown for an entire series.  That's the whole thing about playoff hockey; it's stand-out feature is the fact that lines are often nullified.  Like Cassels and McDavid.  It doesn't actually make Cassels some really special player to be a part of team game-plan that keeps a great player off the board.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

And the flip side is that our defense was under too much pressure because we couldn't score timely goals.

It is embarrassing to not only lose game 7 on home ice but get shut out doing it. I think the Sedins deserve their share of that failure as do Luongo, the rest of the team, injuries, and AV. Lots to go around but absolving the Sedins is ridiculous. They get paid to score goals even in the "but they are really hard" playoffs.

No one said that they dominated despite the loss.  Someone did call them cowards.

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

No I am not  a "fantasy" guy and I watch almost every game and have so for many years. I guess the problem I have is that I compare all players to the "94" team because that was the greatest 3 months of hockey that I ever witnessed. Those that watched that series would probably agree. Those players gave everything from the 1st game of the playoffs to the last game seven.

Nazzy was good but he did not have that same drive as the 94' team and ditto for the Twins. So it seems when you watch their play. Maybe they are too nice I don't know but Hockey is a rough sport and they definitely do not play that way and it hinders them at times because of it.

The 2011 team had all the tools to win the cup but they allowed the Bruins to walk all over them and slowly take over the momentum where they didn't even put up a fight in game 7 and basically rolled over and handed them the cup. This is after they were up 2 games to none and only needed to win 2 of the next 5 games.

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Funny you mention that.  In the 2015 playoffs,  The 19 year old Horvat (in his first ever post season) picked up 4 points in 6 games which matched both Danny and Hank.  But Bo played 6 min less per game than the twins and receive next to no power play time. 

And was on a team where the top defenders faced the Sedins.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

One, I wasn't specifically talking about last year. I said Sid has been effectively 'shutdown' and offensively limited in the playoffs in the past. All despite him being one of, if not the, best player of his generation. The stats are available if you want to go find them.

Two, this has nothing to do with 'homerism'. Merely illustrating out how you win playoff games.

Three, might want to tone down the insults and generally childish remarks. It does not help make whatever point you think you're making.

Well @J.R., I quite like you very much as you are the foil to @LaBamba, much like the joker is to Batman :P 

I did not provide childish remarks, but you yourself stated the Twins are nowhere near Crosby or Toews status. 

I just want you to hammer this point home, because after watching the 2011 finals it is evident that the Twins were nothing but support players to the great one Kesler.

There is a reason why he left, first and foremost the twins as leaders were nothing but regular season players. At this piont I would rather have a fiery leader like Kess rather than a few swedish twins who do not even stick up for each other. Absolute JOKE! 

2 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Maybe that was the loss of the QB in Ehrhoff, who had one arm, and the shooter in Samuelsson.  But, I'm guessing the great Toews would have won all by himself.  Wait a sec....they have lost a few playoff series in games where he didn't score.  Maybe he's not that good.

With how many times Toews and Kane personally victimized the Canucks in the playoffs this attempt is hilarious.

Even in our one good playoff run year (every other year has been a relative choke job for the most part), we almost lost to Chicago after being up 3-0 in the series. In fact, iirc Toews scored the tying goal to send game 7 to overtime with less than two minutes left.

Thanks to Luongo stopping Sharp on the PP. Otherwise it would have just been another epic playoff collapse.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That's what is great about a team game.

You can't have one without the other.

Teams win because of team play and because of circumstance...that is were good luck comes into play.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The leading storyline of their first cup was that Sid couldn't get on the board during the final, but they had Malkin.  Team.  Team.  Team.

Archived