Canucks Community

Article - Leafs' reno on pace, while Canucks lagging behind

CanadianRugby

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

That works if you have elite forwards. 

Is Mathews as good as Crosby?

Nylander-kessel

Marner-malkin

Plus on top of that they don't have the goalie under a cheap contract. Or the crazy young forward depth. Toronto may get lucky and win a cup. Anything can happen. I just see them stuck in no man's land right now.

bingo-1.jpg

23 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

That works if you have elite forwards. 

Is Mathews as good as Crosby?

Nylander-kessel

Marner-malkin

Plus on top of that they don't have the goalie under a cheap contract. Or the crazy young forward depth. Toronto may get lucky and win a cup. Anything can happen. I just see them stuck in no man's land right now.

If you look at the stats its pretty close.  

Crosby  89     Matthews (rookie)  69

Kessel  70      Nylander  (rookie) 61

Malkin  72     Marner      (rookie)  61

All 3 realistically could be better than Kessel or Malkin as soon as this season.  

Also you're changing topics, you just claimed Toronto can't win because they don't have an elite defenseman.. as if the Pens did.

On 2017-06-24 at 10:04 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Who wants to take a stab at this rebuild comparison now?

which comparison are you referring to?

the one where and your Rugby sidekick you equate the Leafs to the Hawks lol?  or the Penguins?

how did the Boyle rental turn out btw?  meh, doesn't matter - the rebuild is done!  spend the picks now.  sign all the 37 year olds!

so embarrassing for those of us that ever questioned the real rebuild of the Leafs.

there's a lottery win and a $60 million dollar coach standing between them and mediocrity.

The "reno' just went about face to full retro in Toronto.  From Ikea to the Re-store lol.

No half measures.  From all the picks to all the 37 year olds - in a span of one year.

Sure puts all the mocking of Benning trying to 'speed up the rebuild' into comical context.

27 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The "reno' just went about face to full retro in Toronto.  From Ikea to the Re-store lol.

No half measures.  From all the picks to all the 37 year olds - in a span of one year.

Sure puts all the mocking of Benning trying to 'speed up the rebuild' into comical context.

Well at least it's far more likely they'd actually pony up Liljegrin and their 18 1st for Tanev :lol:

39 minutes ago, oldnews said:

They also have a Godleader in the middle... that fast forwards a rebuild. Same with Edmonton. 

Beining in a 35+ year old to lead in the dressing room also has no price.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Wouldn't seem so bad if Marleau wasn't essentially 'sleepwalking' thru much of this past off-season.  Guess so-called veteran mentor's are worth $6+ million.:P

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm having a really hard time understanding how a Canuck fan can have a 1 up on the leafs for signing a few vets. I only have like 12 posts but I have already said this 3 times. There is no right way to do a rebuild. The only thing you need is luck. If you have no luck. Your player environment is irrelevant. 

The sad thing is, we could easily be in the exact same spot if we didn't draft Virtanen and won the lottery last year. The only thing separating us from them is luck. 

The Leafs rebuild, the real tear down and rebuild did not last very long.  They are going to be stuck in mid teen picks until they fail and or run into cap trouble.

They don't have a real stud D.  They don't have a real goalie.  And they just hired 3x 36+ year olds.  The Shanaplan was always nothing more than a meme.

Yeah, I don't quite get what the Leafs are doing. They were on the right track, but it seems as though they're content to settle with what they have and fill in the rest of the gaps with expensive veteran players.

Not that I'm complaining. If they want to shoot themselves in the foot, so be it.

Hmm let's see.  Take Matthews out of the Leafs lineup and how does that re-build thing look for you.  Take McDavid out of the Oilers lineup how does that re-build thing look for you.  This isn't rocket science.

People who say the Canuck's re-build sucks.  Well the Leafs and Oilers have been trying for a much longer period of time plus they both won elite first line potentially generational players in the lottery draft.  In the Oilers case multiple 1st overall picks.  Hardly a fair or rational comparison. 

Compare the Leafs vs the Oilers now that makes more sense.  

18 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, I don't quite get what the Leafs are doing. They were on the right track, but it seems as though they're content to settle with what they have and fill in the rest of the gaps with expensive veteran players.

Not that I'm complaining. If they want to shoot themselves in the foot, so be it.

What exactly did they give up? 

2 minutes ago, Burnt Gravy said:

What exactly did they give up? 

Building a complete core from the ground up. They're still short a few key pieces in order to be a true contender. Basically, it seems to me as though they're doing the same thing as the Flames did. 

1 hour ago, Burnt Gravy said:

I'm having a really hard time understanding how a Canuck fan can have a 1 up on the leafs for signing a few vets. I only have like 12 posts but I have already said this 3 times. There is no right way to do a rebuild. The only thing you need is luck. If you have no luck. Your player environment is irrelevant. 

The sad thing is, we could easily be in the exact same spot if we didn't draft Virtanen and won the lottery last year. The only thing separating us from them is luck. 

You only have 12 posts, so you're probably not too familiar with the common themes on these boards - most of my comments like this are tongue-in-cheek responses to the endless 'ermagerd what is Bennig doing' noise that is all over here, and certainly a theme parroted all the time by the TSN/SN talking heads out east. 

When you get down to it, there's nothing really wrong with signing two or three 37 yr olds to short term deals - they can be as effecitve as any 30 yr old and bring every bit as much  to a team - and if it's a one year deal, what's the difference really.   For me I shake my head at the myopic comments that wonder why in the world the Canucks would sign 27 yr olds -  'they won't be part of the emerging core moving forward.'    Anyhow, the very common theme that rebuilding teams should do nothing but add more picks - picks picks picks - Toronto having been the model of how to properly rebuild - there's no shortage of irony when they waste a pick on a rental prematurely and then sign a bunch of guys that 'won't be around with the emerging core.'  

The only real recent Leafs moves that I think were horrible was the Boyle rental and the 3 year term to 38 yr old Marleau.  Great two way player, but he's at the point where he's producing 46 points with the likes of Thornton, Pavelski, Burns - his deployment softening.....to go and spend nearly 19 million on that player under the circumstances is bizarre.

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You only have 12 posts, so you're probably not too familiar with the common themes on these boards - most of my comments like this are tongue-in-cheek responses to the endless 'ermagerd what is Bennig doing' noise that is all over here, and certainly a theme parroted all the time by the TSN/SN talking heads out east. 

When you get down to it, there's nothing really wrong with signing two or three 37 yr olds to short term deals - they can be as effecitve as any 30 yr old and bring every bit as much  to a team - and if it's a one year deal, what's the difference really.   For me I shake my head at the myopic comments that wonder why in the world the Canucks would sign 27 yr olds -  'they won't be part of the emerging core moving forward.'    Anyhow, the very common theme that rebuilding teams should do nothing but add more picks - picks picks picks - Toronto having been the model of how to properly rebuild - there's no shortage of irony when they waste a pick on a rental prematurely and then sign a bunch of guys that 'won't be around with the emerging core.'  

The only real recent Leafs moves that I think were horrible was the Boyle rental and the 3 year term to 38 yr old Marleau.  Great two way player, but he's at the point where he's producing 46 points with the likes of Thornton, Pavelski, Burns - his deployment softening.....to go and spend nearly 19 million on that player under the circumstances is bizarre.

I know you all too well oldnews. 

Archived