The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Jets @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Actually there is a way now to keep Baer and Granny, and trade Sbisa at the TDL.

And thats by exposing Dorsett and not playing Rodin in more than 39 games for the rest of the season. No one is going to claim Dorsett after his neck surgery, and if they do, well that's OK too. It make much more sense to lose him than Granlund or Baer.

If JB protects: Sedins, Loui, Sutter, Hansen, Baer, Granny and Bo thats our 7 protected Fs. 

On the D side, if Larsen can get 23 more games and Biega 11 then we're OK. Biega is the main D target, with Larsen as the backup incase something happens to Biega injury-wise before the Vegas draft.

Sbisa can be traded in the meantime with no loss of valuable young Fs.

You need to count the twins twice.

11 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Actually there is a way now to keep Baer and Granny, and trade Sbisa at the TDL.

And thats by exposing Dorsett and not playing Rodin in more than 39 games for the rest of the season. No one is going to claim Dorsett after his neck surgery, and if they do, well that's OK too. It make much more sense to lose him than Granlund or Baer.

If JB protects: Sedins, Loui, Sutter, Hansen, Baer, Granny and Bo thats our 7 protected Fs. 

On the D side, if Larsen can get 23 more games and Biega 11 then we're OK. Biega is the main D target, with Larsen as the backup incase something happens to Biega injury-wise before the Vegas draft.

Sbisa can be traded in the meantime with no loss of valuable young Fs.

Every player that is not protected is exposed unless they are exempt.

The rule is that among the players exposed at least 1D + 2Fs need to have played 40 NHL games this season or 70 NHL games over two seasons.  Biega is already exposed but he does not meet the game requirement yet so if example they trade Sbisa, they will need to expose one of Tanev, Gudbranson or Edler to meet that requirement in addition to Biega, Pedan and Nillson who are unlikely to be protected.

3Ds to protect among:  Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Pedan, Biega, Nillson

3Fs automatically protected due to NMCs: Eriksson, Daniel, Henrik

4Fs to protect: Horvat, Sutter, Hansen, Dorsett, Granlund, Chaput, Gaunce, Baertschi, Zalewski

Others are either UFAs or exempt.  Rodin, Grenier etc are still marked as RFAs but will actually become group 6 UFAs at the end of the season because they have not played 80 NHL games by age 25 - similar to what happened with Kenins.  Vegas could still choose a UFA but might prefer to simply sign them in free agency. 

8 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Protected 7F, 3D, 1G:

Henrik Sedin

Daniel Sedin

Loui Eriksson

Brendan Sutter

Bo Horvat

Sven Baertschi

Markus Granlund

Chris Tanev

Alex Edler

Erik Gudbranson

Jacob Markström

Exempt:

Jake Virtanen 

Ben Hutton 

Troy Stecher 

Nikita Tryamkin 

I'm actually fine with that list, I've grown attached to this year's lineup (which doesn't happen often, wasn't even attached to SCF Canucks in 2011).  Perhaps Tanev or Edler would pose a better trade value than Sbisa hence why Sbisa is left out.

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Every player that is not protected is exposed unless they are exempt.

The rule is that among the players exposed at least 1D + 2Fs need to have played 40 NHL games this season or 70 NHL games over two seasons.  Biega is already exposed but he does not meet the game requirement yet so if example they trade Sbisa, they will need to expose one of Tanev, Gudbranson or Edler to meet that requirement.

3Ds to protect among:  Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Pedan, Biega, Nillson

3Fs automatically protected due to NMCs: Eriksson, Daniel, Henrik

4Fs to protect: Horvat, Sutter, Hansen, Dorsett, Granlund, Chaput, Gaunce, Baertschi, Zalewski

Others are either UFAs or exempt.  Rodin, Grenier etc are still marked as RFAs but will actually become group 6 UFAs at the end of the season because they have not played 80 NHL games by age 25 - similar to what happened with Kenins.  Vegas could still choose a UFA but might prefer to simply sign them in free agency. 

This is going to make the trade deadline VERY interesting. Players under contract all of a sudden become potential rentals. 

Based on the play of Sbisa and Granlund this year I'd consider baiting Edler unprotected. He will for sure get picked-up, and given his age, contract, decline, and injuries I am not sure if he is a good asset moving forward despite having value to the roster today. 

57 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Work out a deal to expose Biega and a middle pick? I think Biega needs 10 or so more games to qualify.

Biega is pretty underrated... he's played incredibly well and comes at a bargain cap hit. 

Sbisa is clearly the teams best dman... looks wise, cajones wise, rock paper scissors wise, vision & playmaking wise, did I say looks wise? So he has to be protected... Edler and Tanev are musts. Hutton Tree & Pedan are exempt? So I guess it's pretty beneficial to get Biega the 10 or so games he needs... shouldn't be difficult with all our injuries. 

Let's just trade Gudbranson at the deadline? We're 2-0-1 without Guddy. I'd feel bad but McCann is in the AHL... I'd be ok if Guddy re-signed with us at a bargain but I assume his next contract has to match his current cap hit + something? 

What I'm trying to say is.... Trade Gudbranson.

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

Biega is pretty underrated... he's played incredibly well and comes at a bargain cap hit. 

Sbisa is clearly the teams best dman... looks wise, cajones wise, rock paper scissors wise, vision & playmaking wise, did I say looks wise? So he has to be protected... Edler and Tanev are musts. Hutton Tree & Pedan are exempt? So I guess it's pretty beneficial to get Biega the 10 or so games he needs... shouldn't be difficult with all our injuries. 

Let's just trade Gudbranson at the deadline? We're 2-0-1 without Guddy. I'd feel bad but McCann is in the AHL... I'd be ok if Guddy re-signed with us at a bargain but I assume his next contract has to match his current cap hit + something? 

What I'm trying to say is.... Trade Gudbranson.

Pedan would be eligible to be selected. Vegas would choose him before Biega.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Alf you're like a kid pining for a Christmas 2 years from now! :P

Toronto in particular might be rushing some of its kids and defensively the team isn't even close to us. 

We need two elite forwards under 24 years old, because we need them to develop with our next core.  I hate the Coilers and Lames, but I see us not as good as them in that next core, even two years or five years from now, unless we get those two elite guys:(

10 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

He is not a 1st or 2nd year pro.

Hmmmm I thought it goes by # of seasons played? 

He played 1 season with 13 games with us last year

and none so far this year, even if he does play 50 games this year miraculously, that still makes him a 2nd year pro doesn't it? 

Regardless as long as Jimbo is smart enough to protect The Franchise, I think we'll be fine. (Sbisa is the Franchise for any that are curious) 

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Hmmmm I thought it goes by # of seasons played? 

He played 1 season with 13 games with us last year

and none so far this year, even if he does play 50 games this year miraculously, that still makes him a 2nd year pro doesn't it? 

Regardless as long as Jimbo is smart enough to protect The Franchise, I think we'll be fine. (Sbisa is the Franchise for any that are curious) 

AHL seasons count.

15 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

AHL seasons count.

Yep. For anybody still unclear on the definitions:

A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more NHL games in a given NHL season
A player aged 20 or older (based on age on December 31 of calendar year in which the season starts) earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more Professional Games (AHL/NHL) under a standard player contract in a given League Year.

Pedan turned 20 in 2013, so 2013-14 was his first pro year and he's currently a 4th year professional.

Archived