The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Jets @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Tanevs' value shot up after his stellar performance at the 2016 IIHF World Championship..Tanev was considered the best dman in the tournament in terms of his defensive play...He would hold a lot of value.

If JB had traded Tanev at the last draft...he may as well also announced that he was tanking...It would have been an outward admission of gutting the team...However,with Stecher,Tryamkin and possibly Juolevi on the ascendant,it does now give JB an 'option' (if the price was right.)

As good a return as Tanev could get us, I hate to see us moving a guy just hitting his prime and with 6-8 solid years in him to hang onto an aging and declining Elder.  

I'd rather let elder go to the expansion than lose Tanev at this point.

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

He is not number 1 dman anymore.  I'd rather to expose Edler than losing Sbisa as he has no value if he refusing to waive his NTC in next 2 years after the draft and would rather have Sbisa for some value if he is keeping it up this season and beyond and could be used as a bait for a rental to any team for a better return than Edler rather than strapping him to a few limited team as NTC players has proven that it has no value to it.  The history of blocking and controlling the NTC to Hamhuis, Kesler, Bieska situation, limiting us to a team and lowball us in the trading market.  With that in mind, Sbisa has no NTC and could be moved to any team without restriction at the deadline on his final year of contract and he is a top 4 D if he keeps on improving so much this year will extract a better return than Edler, imo.  

This is what drives me crazy about Canuck fans. Bitch and moan about a player while he's developing, then as soon as he comes into his own, call to trade him away for an unknown quantity so you can bitch about how we never win the cup, or develop talent, or the guy that replaces the player you traded. I say we hold onto Sbisa, he has become an instrumental top 4 DMan who doesn't shine in any one category but is good in all categories but offense (which was never his forte even in junior).

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB said he WILL NOT ask a player to waive though.  I think you're right, but maybe it's Tanev who is traded, not Edler?

Trading Tanev makes no sense, since he's also in that 20's (27) sweet spot. He is getting to the apex of his career in the next couple of years where Edler's shelf life is nearly up. If it came to exposing Edler or Sbisa, I'd pick Edler.

12 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Trading Tanev makes no sense, since he's also in that 20's (27) sweet spot. He is getting to the apex of his career in the next couple of years where Edler's shelf life is nearly up. If it came to exposing Edler or Sbisa, I'd pick Edler.

I agree, but JB said he will not ask NTCs to waive.  That leaves Tanev as our most valuable trade chip, one that could return a young top six forward with elite potential.  

15 hours ago, viking mama said:

Hansen has a limited No-trade too doesnt he? That means Winnipeg might be a destination of choice to reunite with his relatives & wife's family, or a contender? I'd still prefer to keep him, tho' thanks,...he's still getting better. When the Sedins hang 'em up,..Hansen will clearly be the best 'Pro' role-model for the forwards on the team.

He probably already is...

He's definitely capable of showing, what hard work can make you achieve. 

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I'd rather let elder go to the expansion than lose Tanev at this point.

They should both be gone in the next couple years either way. Losing any to expansion just seems silly. 

I see no reason to lose Edler for nothing and expansion and his NTC limit his value this year. Also prefer to keep him around to play with Stetcher. 

Move Tanev this summer before his NTC kicks in and he gets hurt again, protect Sbisa and Edler then look at moving both Edler and Sbisa in the next 1-2 years as young guys come on line and there's a bigger market. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

They should both be gone in the next couple years either way. Losing any to expansion just seems silly. 

I see no reason to lose Edler for nothing and expansion and his NTC limit his value this year. Also prefer to keep him around to play with Stetcher. 

Move Tanev this summer before his NTC kicks in and he gets hurt again, protect Sbisa and Edler then look at moving both Edler and Sbisa in the next 1-2 years as young guys come on line and there's a bigger market. 

That's pretty ambitious, and it keeps us with a pretty young blue, though I agree that we have some pretty great depth there.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

This is all predicated on our young D men meeting or exceeding expectations.  I think the jury is still out on that.  If one or two do not pan out, I would rather be left with Tanev than Edler. 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Goalies are set

defence might be set IF Juiolevi is a top pair guy

no elite forwards; maybe Boeser

thats ifs and maybes.

now compare our next core to other teams: Winnipeg, Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, and the list goes on of teams with elite youth we don't have.  

Your repeated narrative that you like to say time and time again. It doesn't seem to matter how many times people point out to you that they are/were garbage teams for a long time. All 4 of those teams also haven't proved yet that being awful for so long wins you anything. 

Toronto is still in the basement, Winnipeg is sitting outside the bubble, and Calgary is hanging on to the last WC spot by their fingertips, everyone else having games in hand. I've yet to see how the tank method > the retool method, or whatever word of the day you want to apply to our franchise is. 

League-wide, doesn't seem to be a slew of D-men injuries..yet

'Tenders this yr have been taking it on the chin. Which makes JB's depth there, rather enviable.

If around mid-season, a number of teams lose some D-men, it could get interesting. It's pretty sweet for us, in that sense. We have nice emerging depth at D, & half of them we don't even have to worry about protecting(thus, can deal or be patient).

30 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

Your repeated narrative that you like to say time and time again. It doesn't seem to matter how many times people point out to you that they are/were garbage teams for a long time. All 4 of those teams also haven't proved yet that being awful for so long wins you anything. 

Toronto is still in the basement, Winnipeg is sitting outside the bubble, and Calgary is hanging on to the last WC spot by their fingertips, everyone else having games in hand. I've yet to see how the tank method > the retool method, or whatever word of the day you want to apply to our franchise is. 

Does their still being crappy get us elite forwards?  

28 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

This is all predicated on our young D men meeting or exceeding expectations.  I think the jury is still out on that.  If one or two do not pan out, I would rather be left with Tanev than Edler. 

Who exactly is a big question mark?

Stetcher, Tryamkin, Hutton and Gudbranson all look like current or eventual top 4 D and are all QUITE young and will just be entering their prime as we move Edler and  Sbisa in that scenario.  Brisebois is progressing VERY nicely and Juolevi is pretty damn blue chip to fill in behind them. 

Never mind any surprises/long shots like Subban, Pedan, Neill etc or free agents etc besides that. Chances are in fact we'll have to move at least one of those young guys too in the next 2-3 years.

I'd rather get a young, top 3 winger for Tanev now before his NTC, injuries etc cut his value. He's going to be exiting his prime by the time we're contending again anyway. 

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Who exactly is a big question mark?

Stetcher, Tryamkin, Hutton and Gudbranson all look like current or eventual top 4 D and are all QUITE young and will just be entering their prime as we move Edler and  Sbisa in that scenario.  Brisebois is progressing VERY nicely and Juolevi is pretty damn blue chip to fill in behind them. 

Never mind any surprises/long shots like Subban, Pedan, Neill etc or free agents etc besides that. Chances are in fact we'll have to move at least one of those young guys too in the next 2-3 years.

I'd rather get a young, top 3 winger for Tanev now before his NTC, injuries etc cut his value. He's going to be exiting his prime by the time we're contending again anyway. 

I understand your rationale and recognize the value trading Tanev could bring but even you say it yourself "all look like"...none have yet attained that status or sustained it.  Hutton has regressed...Stecher "looks" great but he is small...can he handle the NHL grind out west.  Brisebois is way off, lots can happen. 

Tanev is a substantial asset because he can anchor a top pairing for many years.  Is the trade off worth it?  I am not as convinced as you that we can afford the risk...yet.

10 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I understand your rationale and recognize the value trading Tanev could bring but even you say it yourself "all look like"...none have yet attained that status or sustained it.  Hutton has regressed...Stecher "looks" great but he is small...can he handle the NHL grind out west.  Brisebois is way off, lots can happen. 

Tanev is a substantial asset because he can anchor a top pairing for many years.  Is the trade off worth it?  I am not as convinced as you that we can afford the risk...yet.

I'd rather give Tanev the opportunity to win than wasting his prime years on a rebuilding team. 

We're not likely winning a cup in the next 3+ years anyway. Tanev or not. I vote cash in the chips :lol:

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does their still being crappy get us elite forwards?  

What? 

My point was that until one of those teams wins a cup, you can't say that method works and the way we're doing it doesn't.

Does tanking get you top quality players? Sure, but there's no guarantee that being as awful as possible gets you better than a 20% chance for guys like Matthews and McDavid. Actually worse than that chance, because those type of guys come along rarely, compared to what we're looking at who will be going top overall this coming draft. If you're upset we didn't lose more last year or the year before when those guys were available, I'd recommend a hot tub time machine. 

As far as elite, I see Horvat being elite, or will be very soon. Tanev is elite at what he does. Juolevi, Boeser, and Demko all have very strong potential to be elite. Stecher and Tryamkin as well. If you only qualify "elite" players as game breaker, Art Ross winners, I really think you need to watch more hockey. Or less, I suppose. 

Archived