The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Jets @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

This is going to make the trade deadline VERY interesting. Players under contract all of a sudden become potential rentals. 

Based on the play of Sbisa and Granlund this year I'd consider baiting Edler unprotected. He will for sure get picked-up, and given his age, contract, decline, and injuries I am not sure if he is a good asset moving forward despite having value to the roster today. 

I don't think that's out of the question (simply because of his injuries), although I suspect instead that they'd try to deal him somewhere like Detroit where they have Kronwall and Dekeyser to protect and otherwise could probably stand to add a D that needs protection.  I think if Edler had the option of being exposed or waiving for a place like Detroit, he may choose the latter.

Would be sad to see him go, but that may be the best 'asset management' option, regaining something for him.

But if they did that, they'd probably be looking at losing Granlund or Baertschi to expansion, so they may just wind up letting the chips fall where they may and not trying to force a deal.

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

This is going to make the trade deadline VERY interesting. Players under contract all of a sudden become potential rentals. 

Based on the play of Sbisa and Granlund this year I'd consider baiting Edler unprotected. He will for sure get picked-up, and given his age, contract, decline, and injuries I am not sure if he is a good asset moving forward despite having value to the roster today. 

Expose our number 1 dman? Um..no.

Landeskog - Hirschier - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Rodin

Hansen - Gaudette - Zhukenov

Gaunce

Juolevi - Tanev

Gudbranson - Stetcher

Tryamkin - Hutton

Sbisa

Brisebois 

Basically we're one big trade and a high draft pick away from having a very exciting team in the future. I don't know why I am posting this in the PGT, I am bored.

2 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

Gaunce

Juolevi - Tanev

Gudbranson - Stetcher

Tryamkin - Hutton

Sbisa

Brisebois 

Basically we're one big trade and a high draft pick away from having a very exciting team in the future. I don't know why I am posting this in the PGT, I am bored.

Put Lockwood in our forwards, and you get .Alf's vote.  What if we trade Sutter for Landeskog, and Edler for three seconds from the Habs?

22 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Expose our number 1 dman? Um..no.

He is not number 1 dman anymore.  I'd rather to expose Edler than losing Sbisa as he has no value if he refusing to waive his NTC in next 2 years after the draft and would rather have Sbisa for some value if he is keeping it up this season and beyond and could be used as a bait for a rental to any team for a better return than Edler rather than strapping him to a few limited team as NTC players has proven that it has no value to it.  The history of blocking and controlling the NTC to Hamhuis, Kesler, Bieska situation, limiting us to a team and lowball us in the trading market.  With that in mind, Sbisa has no NTC and could be moved to any team without restriction at the deadline on his final year of contract and he is a top 4 D if he keeps on improving so much this year will extract a better return than Edler, imo.  

2 hours ago, mll said:

Every player that is not protected is exposed unless they are exempt.

The rule is that among the players exposed at least 1D + 2Fs need to have played 40 NHL games this season or 70 NHL games over two seasons.  Biega is already exposed but he does not meet the game requirement yet so if example they trade Sbisa, they will need to expose one of Tanev, Gudbranson or Edler to meet that requirement in addition to Biega, Pedan and Nillson who are unlikely to be protected.

3Ds to protect among:  Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Pedan, Biega, Nillson

3Fs automatically protected due to NMCs: Eriksson, Daniel, Henrik

4Fs to protect: Horvat, Sutter, Hansen, Dorsett, Granlund, Chaput, Gaunce, Baertschi, Zalewski

Others are either UFAs or exempt.  Rodin, Grenier etc are still marked as RFAs but will actually become group 6 UFAs at the end of the season because they have not played 80 NHL games by age 25 - similar to what happened with Kenins.  Vegas could still choose a UFA but might prefer to simply sign them in free agency. 

Thanks. Christmas party last night... open bar... I was quite convinced we could protect 8 forwards this morning :blush:

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We need two elite forwards under 24 years old, because we need them to develop with our next core.  I hate the Coilers and Lames, but I see us not as good as them in that next core, even two years or five years from now, unless we get those two elite guys:(

1 trade, 1 UFA

1 trade + really good luck with the 2016 draft class

really good luck with the 2016 draft class + 1 UFA

don't despair, JB is far from being out of options. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

1 trade, 1 UFA

1 trade + really good luck with the 2016 draft class

really good luck with the 2016 draft class + 1 UFA

don't despair, JB is far from being out of options. 

JB is not trading guys with NTCs, so who (what) do we have left to get that elite forward?  I say we should trade Tanev and Hansen together for that young (elite) forward.  Is that too much for Sam Reinhart?  We could take E. Kane too if needed.

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't think that's out of the question (simply because of his injuries), although I suspect instead that they'd try to deal him somewhere like Detroit where they have Kronwall and Dekeyser to protect and otherwise could probably stand to add a D that needs protection.  I think if Edler had the option of being exposed or waiving for a place like Detroit, he may choose the latter.

Would be sad to see him go, but that may be the best 'asset management' option, regaining something for him.

But if they did that, they'd probably be looking at losing Granlund or Baertschi to expansion, so they may just wind up letting the chips fall where they may and not trying to force a deal.

At least they speak Swedish in Detroit. Edler has to think about such things with the Twins retiring in 2 years.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB is not trading guys with NTCs, so who (what) do we have left to get that elite forward?  I say we should trade Tanev and Hansen together for that young (elite) forward.  Is that too much for Sam Reinhart?  We could take E. Kane too if needed.

No he said he wouldn't ask, but he would also make a deal if someone wants to go to a contender. 

I think Sam is going to be the face of the franchise there. I think with the meltdown that is Colorado, our best bet might be there for Landeskog. 

31 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

Gaunce

Juolevi - Tanev

Gudbranson - Stetcher

Tryamkin - Hutton

Sbisa

Brisebois 

Let save this fantasy until after the expansion draft, we don't want to be limited in who to expose  even Landeskog in a trade.   I don't even want him anyways so if you are going to bring in players, at least, have in your mind, protect someone then trade for such players after the expansion draft.  :)

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

At least they speak Swedish in Detroit. Edler has to think about such things with the Twins retiring in 2 years.

Yeah exactly - and they've probably been interested in him for some time now.  Forgot about Green though - who is injured....Not sure they'd have the expansion spot to protect Edler on second thought.

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Boy, WD's coaching ability sure has improved a lot at the same time he got one of his top pair D and arguably best forward back in the lineup and up to speed. 

:bigblush:

He's stoooopid.  Thinks Sbesus is a top pairing D.  Everyone knows he's an AHLer.

But seriously, that was an unreal performance by Luca.

25 minutes, with 7 of them penalty killing - against a big, fast, skilled beastly forward group like Winnipeg's.  The guy's conditioning must be top notch.

Really enjoying him getting the last laugh at all the trolls.

14 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

I hope Vegas doesn't pick sbisa up.

Based on my limited knowledge of the expansion draft rules, if he plays 11 more games, Biega would be the only DMan they would have to expose, if they move Edler or Tanev. Since on most nights Sbisa has been our best DMan this year, and because he is in that mid-20s sweet spot, JB will find a way to protect him. My guess is they tell Edlerhe will be exposed unless he submits a list of teams or waives NTC. Then they move him for a pick or a prospect. Then they protect Sbisa, Tanev, and Gudbranson.

1 minute ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Based on my limited knowledge of the expansion draft rules, if he plays 11 more games, Biega would be the only DMan they would have to expose, if they move Edler or Tanev. Since on most nights Sbisa has been our best DMan this year, and because he is in that mid-20s sweet spot, JB will find a way to protect him. My guess is they tell Edlerhe will be exposed unless he submits a list of teams or waives NTC. Then they move him for a pick or a prospect. Then they protect Sbisa, Tanev, and Gudbranson.

JB said he WILL NOT ask a player to waive though.  I think you're right, but maybe it's Tanev who is traded, not Edler?

28 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Boy, WD's coaching ability sure has improved a lot at the same time he got one of his top pair D and arguably best forward back in the lineup and up to speed. 

:bigblush:

Now, now, as you know, only losses are due to WD's coaching ability. Wins are due to the players. Or maybe just luck. And besides, Tanev and Hansen are just trade bait. Ask any of the "realistic fans".

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

JB said he WILL NOT ask a player to waive though.  I think you're right, but maybe it's Tanev who is traded, not Edler?

How are you handling all this Sbisa love!!!  Who could have seen this coming? LOL

Waive Edler keep Sbisa, no one seen that coming.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

You could be right there, buyer's market.  JB should have traded Hansen and Tanev before the last draft:(

Tanevs' value shot up after his stellar performance at the 2016 IIHF World Championship..Tanev was considered the best dman in the tournament in terms of his defensive play...He would hold a lot of value.

If JB had traded Tanev at the last draft...he may as well also announced that he was tanking...It would have been an outward admission of gutting the team...However,with Stecher,Tryamkin and possibly Juolevi on the ascendant,it does now give JB an 'option' (if the price was right.)

Archived