The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Jets @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd rather give Tanev the opportunity to win than wasting his prime years on a rebuilding team. 

We're not likely winning a cup in the next 3+ years anyway. Tanev or not. I vote cash in the chips :lol:

I don't necessarily disagree with you but trading Tanev goes against managements "winning environment" game plan. If it's me in Benning's shoes, I better see a monster return coming back my way. Trading Tanev to fill a top 6 hole leaves a hole in our top 2/4. 

Personally, I'm for trading Edler. While he's a common whipping by (myself notwithstanding) he's a great pickup by a team buying up for a cup run. I'd rather keep Tanev, deal Edler for a late first, or and 2+3/4 rounder, soak up the 5mil, and play Hutton with Tanev moving forward. 

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't think that's out of the question (simply because of his injuries), although I suspect instead that they'd try to deal him somewhere like Detroit where they have Kronwall and Dekeyser to protect and otherwise could probably stand to add a D that needs protection.  I think if Edler had the option of being exposed or waiving for a place like Detroit, he may choose the latter.

Would be sad to see him go, but that may be the best 'asset management' option, regaining something for him.

But if they did that, they'd probably be looking at losing Granlund or Baertschi to expansion, so they may just wind up letting the chips fall where they may and not trying to force a deal.

McPhee has no intention of winning many games for the first few years so I doubt he would pick Edler for the skill set for Vegas itself, but he might pick him just to trade him. 

But I think we're looking at losing Baer most likely, JB gave up the least for him. 

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

McPhee has no intention of winning many games for the first few years so I doubt he would pick Edler for the skill set for Vegas itself, but he might pick him just to trade him. 

But I think we're looking at losing Baer most likely, JB gave up the least for him. 

Baer has better chemistry with other fwds, compared with Granlund.

Wonder what an Edler/Granny package might fetch? Picture a team like Mtl encountering a couple more injuries(say in Jan). They have a clock ticking(2 more yrs, I think?) before Carey Price cashes in with a huge cap hit(Galchenyuk too). They need to push now, with Weber younger too.

Take back something like a DDeharnais contract, & maybe you'd be able to lift Juulsen off their hands,+? End of season DD's off the books, & you've got cap space, + 2 less bodies that don't need protection.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Baer has better chemistry with other fwds, compared with Granlund.

Wonder what an Edler/Granny package might fetch? Picture a team like Mtl encountering a couple more injuries(say in Jan). They have a clock ticking(2 more yrs, I think?) before Carey Price cashes in with a huge cap hit(Galchenyuk too). They need to push now, with Weber younger too.

Take back something like a DDeharnais contract, & maybe you'd be able to lift Juulsen off their hands,+? End of season DD's off the books, & you've got cap space, + 2 less bodies that don't need protection.

Well... does he though? They're very close in goal and point totals, and Granlund theoretically can play as a C. JB also gave up late 1st round prospect for him so I think he's going to be invested there, unless Baer really starts to light it up in the 2nd 1/2 of the season.

Markov is going to miss a few games now, and if that continues MTL might be interested. I would think we'd be looking at 2 2nd round picks from MTL and a prospect. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I'd rather give Tanev the opportunity to win than wasting his prime years on a rebuilding team. 

We're not likely winning a cup in the next 3+ years anyway. Tanev or not. I vote cash in the chips :lol:

WEll...it would sure be nice to add a legitimate young top three player.  If Tanev can land that, maybe it is worth the risk.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree, but JB said he will not ask NTCs to waive.  That leaves Tanev as our most valuable trade chip, one that could return a young top six forward with elite potential.  

He does not even to ask any players to waive NTC's and also he does not have to ask a permission to expose Edler so he can expose Edler and still keep his word about not asking them to waive them.  If it causes other NTC/NMC players not being happy when Benning choose to expose Edler can ask for a trade.  It's still a win-win situation.  Benning is man of his word.  Tanev is too valuable to be traded with the way he is playing.  When Tanev was injured, Edler played for a while without him and the result of this is a 8-game losing streak all without Tanev while Edler was playing with Stecher.  So it became clear to me that Tanev Is better than Edler at this point and I'd rather not to trade Tanev and expose Edler.  All I know that if he is to give the list, it will be so limited that he might choose Detroit only which diminished the trading value on a good return.  

I prefer Benning to keep his word than to lie saying that he is not asking for anyone to waive their NTC so exposing is a part of the business while keeping a young player with the eye on the future.  Edler is not the future as he was the future when the Canucks was a cup contender.  He does not have to ask for permission on any protection list and if it causes upset in other players then demand to be traded, it's a good situation to be in anyways.   If they didn't get mad, then it's all good.   It is strictly business.  If Sbisa does pan out as Benning envisioned, he will protect Sbisa and expose Edler and I'd rather Tanev to stay on this team for a few more years.

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Well... does he though? They're very close in goal and point totals, and Granlund theoretically can play as a C. JB also gave up late 1st round prospect for him so I think he's going to be invested there, unless Baer really starts to light it up in the 2nd 1/2 of the season.

Markov is going to miss a few games now, and if that continues MTL might be interested. I would think we'd be looking at 2 2nd round picks from MTL and a prospect. 

It's an interesting debate between these two players. You could also argue that Baer was a fairly high pick(13th OA?) vs Granny at 45th. I see a possibly elite-level of skill with Baer(higher ceiling than Gran's versatility). We might be ok at C with Gaunce, Chappy, Z, Labate, et al

Philly is another possibility. See some eastern clubs that can maybe slide one of our exp'd D into their exp protection-3 d

Regarding the Habs, if we take back contract, would expect a decent return. But in Jimbo's hands, 2 2nds might be worthwhile!

19 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

what could have been if we didn't go on that ridiculous loss streak .... and the Carolina debacle 

Yeah, definitely a playoff calibre team, with a Jack Adams quality coach, more than 6 legitimate top 6 forwards and the best defence in the league.

Until the next loss anyways

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's an interesting debate between these two players. You could also argue that Baer was a fairly high pick(13th OA?) vs Granny at 45th. I see a possibly elite-level of skill with Baer(higher ceiling than Gran's versatility). We might be ok at C with Gaunce, Chappy, Z, Labate, et al

Philly is another possibility. See some eastern clubs that can maybe slide one of our exp'd D into their exp protection-3 d

Regarding the Habs, if we take back contract, would expect a decent return. But in Jimbo's hands, 2 2nds might be worthwhile!

Agree, I love the way Baerstchi is playing with Horvat, he is worth more than Grunlund at this point and honeslty, I do not see Vegas taking Grudlund so I'd risk him exposing because there are many good 3rd liner players are exposing their better ones than  Grunlund and it's high likely that Vegas will take one of our prospect or a D.   If Baertschi is exposed, he is too valuable not to bypass him in the expansion draft as a 2nd liner.   Right now, he is playing like a first liner for this team anyways.   Also, I'd protect Tanev, Gud, and Sbisa and expose Edler to dare them to take him and still protect all of our asset and expand our prospect pool with a strong foundation for the future.   If they choose to bypass Edler, it tells me that he is not worth the hassle due to his NTC in his contract with limited option in return for him if Vegas wants to trade him.  There are a few Canucks prospect worth taking over Edler if they are keeping their eyes for the future anyways.

1 minute ago, coolboarder said:

Agree, I love the way Baerstchi is playing with Horvat, he is worth more than Grunlund at this point and honeslty, I do not see Vegas taking Grudlund so I'd risk him exposing because there are many good 3rd liner players are exposing their better ones than  Grunlund and it's high likely that Vegas will take one of our prospect or a D.   If Baertschi is exposed, he is too valuable not to bypass him in the expansion draft as a 2nd liner.   Right now, he is playing like a first liner for this team anyways.   Also, I'd protect Tanev, Gud, and Sbisa and expose Edler to dare them to take him and still protect all of our asset and expand our prospect pool with a strong foundation for the future.   If they choose to bypass Edler, it tells me that he is not worth the hassle due to his NTC in his contract with limited option in return for him if Vegas wants to trade him.  There are a few Canucks prospect worth taking over Edler if they are keeping their eyes for the future anyways.

I agree, & assume they'll try to send Edler to a nice destination(waive NTC, avoid expansion). Mtl, cited above, could protect Eddie

Weber, Petry, Eddie. Their 2 Russkies would be deemed expendable. After the disappointment of Tinordi, I'd say Mtl trusts experience on their blueline(Weber for Sub, further evidence of this)

Not that the PGT is perhaps the right place for an ongoing discussion of who might move in the expansion draft, but here goes....what is the likelihood that Vegas might pick someone off our Utica team?  They have to balance picking a roster of NHL players with picking some players for their farm team so not all 30 picks will be current NHL stock.  Not sure what their salary budget will be, whether they will struggle to get to the cap floor or whether they will be a mid cap team, that will dictate some of the players they select.  They also have the opportunity to fill out their NHL roster with free agent signings perhaps?  Benning et al may be hesitant to trade away players to counter the risk of losing one player to expansion.  Glad I'm not the one losing sleep over how best to manage all that.  

44 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

WEll...it would sure be nice to add a legitimate young top three player.  If Tanev can land that, maybe it is worth the risk.

I think Tanev + one of Granlund/Baer/Rodin could return a young, top 3 forward and a mid pick (say 3rd) in the right situation. 

1 hour ago, ThaShady1 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you but trading Tanev goes against managements "winning environment" game plan. If it's me in Benning's shoes, I better see a monster return coming back my way. Trading Tanev to fill a top 6 hole leaves a hole in our top 2/4. 

Personally, I'm for trading Edler. While he's a common whipping by (myself notwithstanding) he's a great pickup by a team buying up for a cup run. I'd rather keep Tanev, deal Edler for a late first, or and 2+3/4 rounder, soak up the 5mil, and play Hutton with Tanev moving forward. 

Is getting someone Domi-esque less 'winning environment' though?

Domi, Horvat, Eriksson 

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen / Boeser 

Baer / Granlund / Rodin, Sutter, Boeser / Hansen 

? ? ? , Gaunce, Dorsett 

Edler, Stetcher 

Hutton, Gudbranson

Sbisa, Tryamkin 

Looks pretty good to me. 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thats a very good point. If JB decides to protect Baer, saying he's the higher pick is one good reason. But there will be the inevitable wails of "asset management" if Vegas picks Granlund and the "he gave away Shink for nothing" rants will be epic. Not that Jim reads CDC :lol:

10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thats a very good point. If JB decides to protect Baer, saying he's the higher pick is one good reason. But there will be the inevitable wails of "asset management" if Vegas picks Granlund and the "he gave away Shink for nothing" rants will be epic. Not that Jim reads CDC :lol:

Yeah, especially amongst the baying hounds over there in the tragic-doomer HFBoards territory.

I'll gladly admit when my estimation's off(eg: Sbisa). That said, these changing valuations seem a wk-to-wk, ongoing thing, & often different players arise in the 2nd half. Prob cos' the reffs pocket the whistles, so troglodytes start runnin amok.

Afraid we're carrying too many smallish fwds, so the above deal is an example of some necc turnover. We've got to prepare space for Jake, + 1 or 2 more big bruisers up front.

Skill, youth, & size..have to find a way to shuffle in about 3 or 4(next couple yrs) of these ingredients/players, up front.

edit..^ speed too, of course. Such resources cost $ or assets. Need to clear some space

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I don't think he really cares about where shinkaruk being a former 1st round pick.  He didn't pick him.  Gaunce was also a former 1st round pick and canucks won't even considered him being one of the protected players.  

Right now I can't see how canucks would keep Granlund over Baertschi.  Saying he can play center doesn't really mean a lot when his FO% is under 40%.  And canucks need top LW's more than they need centers.

3 hours ago, ThaShady1 said:

Isnt it true that any contending team has enough good defenseman or forwards that if they add another player like an edler or tanev or a hansen that some one else will be exposed in the exansìon . So getting any player like that who is under contract behond this year is kind of like a rental?

Archived