The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Columbus beat the streak

Grapefruits

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I haven't heard anyone discuss it, but does the fact that there aren't ties anymore taint the streak when comparing it to the 92 Penguins?

That will always be mentioned by someone somewhere. It's a valid argument, but all we have to go on these days are the current NHL rules regarding wins, and they're up to 16.

I could counter that argument by saying the Pens played in an era of weak teams and despite wins being issued in every game the current parity of the league makes what Columbus is doing as good as what Pittsburgh did in '92. Do I believe myself though? I'm not so sure. Columbus has played some weak ass teams along the way, but then again so did the Pens.

I took a look at the Pens schedule a couple days ago and they beat 6 teams that were 9 games or more over .500 during that stretch. I altered the criteria slightly for Columbus since we're just beyond the half way point in our season (Pittsburgh more or less finished the year with theirs) and they've still beaten 5 teams who were well over 0.500, and the clincher is against another in Washington this evening. 

That doesn't really answer your question, but I still felt like pointing it out. 

Yup, like i said a couple of days ago this was going to be a very tough game vs the Caps and so far it has been that way. WSH is up 3-0 in the 2nd. WSH is built to win and they would treat this game as a playoff game like the Oilers did. But WSH is in a different stage and will be very difficult to win against. It's a much more experienced team than CBJ and definitely much more than EDM.

5-0.  Grab a fork and check the oven, cuz I think this one is done.

Interesting while it lasted, especially for a team that has yet to win a playoff series.  Talk about the ugly duckling.  Be interesting to see how things go from here on out for them.  Maybe getting pasted like this will be easier to shrug off than a hard-fought loss, like how many teams can bounce back after a shellacking in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

5-0.  Grab a fork and check the oven, cuz I think this one is done.

Interesting while it lasted, especially for a team that has yet to win a playoff series.  Talk about the ugly duckling.  Be interesting to see how things go from here on out for them.  Maybe getting pasted like this will be easier to shrug off than a hard-fought loss, like how many teams can bounce back after a shellacking in the playoffs.

That's funny to me because I was just thinking "here they are getting playoff ready". Props to Columbus for a good ride, but now we can sit back and enjoy the climb of our 2nd round pick.

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Interesting comparing the two teams..Wennberg/Dubi is almost identical with Lemieux/Jags.

Dude, you need to remember the sarcasm font on comments like that :lol:

Archived