Etem-Helm (UFA signing)/Vey- Dorsett

Somehow make room for Gaunce and or Shinkaruk

And sutter

Sedins-Hansen

Lucic Sutter Etem

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Gaunce Vey- Dorsett

Grenier/Kenins

Move Burrows, Start Virtanen and McCann in the AHL to tear things up playing big offensive minutes.  

• Upvote 3

the absolute lowest we can do is a one way deal worth 900 000k for him. If he agrees to it, great, even if he put him on waivers, and if he does clear, he will be making 900 000k in the AHL, if no one claims him.  (Fabbian Brunnstrom style)

worth the risk?   last time I saw him play...... dude was far from a NHL player....... 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And sutter

Sedins-Hansen

Lucic Sutter Etem

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Gaunce Vey- Dorsett

Grenier/Kenins

Move Burrows, Start Virtanen and McCann in the AHL to tear things up playing big offensive minutes.  

I'm not convinced he makes the Canucks out of the gate. Seems he's going to need some time and coaching to adjust to North American ice/hockey.  Never mind that even without signing any UFA forwards, he'll be in tough for a top 9 role (don't see him fitting a 4th line role).

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Hansen
Shink/McCann, Vey, Etem
Dorsett, Zalewski, Virtanen/Gaunce

Grenier, Kenins

Not a lot of room there... And a two of four good, NHL ready players in Gaunce, McCann, Shink or Virt will be sent to Utica. I'd also LOVE for us to sign Okposo.

Sedin, Sedin, Okposo/Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Sutter/Okposo
Etem, Vey, Hansen

You could argue that would allow us to sell high on Hansen (if we chose to) but I'm not convinced he'd beat out Shink/McCann (or possibly Virt) for that 3rd W role either...

IMO, it's FAR more likely he heads to Utica and works towards a call up.

Also, is there some reason we're unable to sign him to a 2 way deal? Something like $900k NHL / $300-400k AHL? Still pays him well in either league (not that i care, it's not my money...just curious).

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I'm not convinced he makes the Canucks out of the gate. Seems he's going to need some time and coaching to adjust to North American ice/hockey.  Never mind that even without signing any UFA forwards, he'll be in tough for a top 9 role (don't see him fitting a 4th line role).

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Hansen
Shink/McCann, Vey, Etem

Grenier, Kenins

Not a lot of room there... And a two of four good, NHL ready players in Gaunce, McCann, Shink or Virt will be sent to Utica. I'd also LOVE for us to sign Okposo.

Sedin, Sedin, Okposo/Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Sutter/Okposo
Etem, Vey, Hansen

You could argue that would allow us to sell high on Hansen (if we chose to) but I'm not convinced he'd beat out Shink/McCann (or possibly Virt) for that 3rd W role either...

IMO, it's FAR more likely he heads to Utica and works towards a call up.

Also, is there some reason we're unable to sign him to a 2 way deal? Something like $900k NHL / $300-400k AHL? Still pays him well in either league (not that i care, it's not my money...just curious).

I would assume it’s because he’d rather not come over if he gets put into the AHL,  Whether he’s right or not he likely feels he’s past that stage in development.   Very similar to Tryamkin.  It’s not so much as the money as it’s not worth their time to work their way up through the ranks.  And in Rodins case has already played in the AHL and knows the level quality.  The NHL to a lot or Europeans and Russian isn’t the end goal, it’s just a different option at playing hockey for a living. 

It would be a one year deal with big bonus’, it if works out he’d stay and be a member of the team in the NHL, if it doesn’t he’s be right back heading to SEL.   He’s 25, the last thing he’d want is to spend the next 2 years as a bubble player when he could a star in his home town (getting paid handsomely).  At this point it’s either he is an NHLer, or he isn’t.  I think there is very little chance he comes to over to Canada only to spend more time in the AHL. 

As for the Canucks it’s a free asset.  If he comes over and plays well, then we just acquired more talent to build with or use to trade.  If he doesn’t, all he’d taken up was a roster spot, and some money.  But you have to give him a fair shake, and if one year is all were going to get to look at him, then if better be in some impact situation, not in the AHL

He is a left handed shot, but he does play RW, which makes him an attractive piece for the team, if we don’t fill a RW UFA piece (okposo) then his only real competition is Virtanen, Grenier, Hansen, Dorsett, and Etem.  The fact that sending Virtanen to the AHL for a half(or full) season, probably doesn’t hurt him. I’d think Rodin would fit in the top 5 spots.  Likely him Etem and Grenier rotating.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I would assume it’s because he’d rather not come over if he gets put into the AHL,  Whether he’s right or not he likely feels he’s past that stage in development.   Very similar to Tryamkin.  It’s not so much as the money as it’s not worth their time to work their way up through the ranks.  And in Rodins case has already played in the AHL and knows the level quality.  The NHL to a lot or Europeans and Russian isn’t the end goal, it’s just a different option at playing hockey for a living. 

It would be a one year deal with big bonus’, it if works out he’d stay and be a member of the team in the NHL, if it doesn’t he’s be right back heading to SEL.   He’s 25, the last thing he’d want is to spend the next 2 years as a bubble player when he could a star in his home town (getting paid handsomely).  At this point it’s either he is an NHLer, or he isn’t.  I think there is very little chance he comes to over to Canada only to spend more time in the AHL. 

As for the Canucks it’s a free asset.  If he comes over and plays well, then we just acquired more talent to build with or use to trade.  If he doesn’t, all he’d taken up was a roster spot, and some money.  But you have to give him a fair shake, and if one year is all were going to get to look at him, then if better be in some impact situation, not in the AHL

He is a left handed shot, but he does play RW, which makes him an attractive piece for the team, if we don’t fill a RW UFA piece (okposo) then his only real competition is Virtanen, Grenier, Hansen, Dorsett, and Etem.  The fact that sending Virtanen to the AHL for a half(or full) season, probably doesn’t hurt him. I’d think Rodin would fit in the top 5 spots.  Likely him Etem and Grenier rotating.

I guess...

*Enthusiasm highly tempered*

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I guess...

*Enthusiasm highly tempered*

Yeah, I mean if he turns out great, if not it’s not the end of the world.  It could be another Brunstrom or Cervenka type situation.  Both of which are back in Europe playing. Or he could turn out to be an effective NHL player.  Not really holding my breath, but you never know.

16 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

the absolute lowest we can do is a one way deal worth 900 000k for him. If he agrees to it, great, even if he put him on waivers, and if he does clear, he will be making 900 000k in the AHL, if no one claims him.  (Fabbian Brunnstrom style)

worth the risk?   last time I saw him play...... dude was far from a NHL player....... 

exactly..didnt we go down this road before...will this make Shink and Gaunce expendable..these guys have to start getting some NHL time.

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah, I mean if he turns out great, if not it’s not the end of the world.  It could be another Brunstrom or Cervenka type situation.  Both of which are back in Europe playing. Or he could turn out to be an effective NHL player.  Not really holding my breath, but you never know.

Pump him and dump him. A Brunstrom scenario is most likely so trade him for a NA prospect. SEL stats are no indicator of NHL success or AHL for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Yotes said:

is rodin close to signing, someone posted benning mentioning baertschi and rodin as wingers we have or something

Benning says that Sven Baertschi & Anton Rodin impacted their decision to move Hunter. #Canucks

Sure sounds like they plan to at least give him a serious look next year.