The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

23 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I love it.  

My only worry about our team is that we don't have our Henrik replacement.  

Other than that, I couldn't be more happy with the direction we're heading in. 

Contenders have never been built in 2 years, although the Oilers came close in the early 80s.

19 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Contenders have never been built in 2 years, although the Oilers came close in the early 80s.

This subject keeps coming up as though Benning is done and has his feet up. 

We likely have 2-4 more years of Sedins to draft, trade or sign a couple top 6 guys.

We've already got Baer, Boesser, Horvat and Virtanen as likely candidates for 4 of the 6 spots. We've got Eriksson as a bridge as another spot and lottery tickets like Rodin, Zhukenov etc and 2-4 years to find a couple key guys and people are acting like it's Armageddon...

Edit:Plus we have an increasingly full D cupboard we may be able to move for guys in a couple years!

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

On 2016-07-11 at 0:24 PM, J.R. said:

Based on WD's comments on Horvat's style of play, I wouldn't expect to see Baer or Rodin on his line barring injuries. Horvat will be playing with the likes of Burrows, Hansen, Dorsett, Etem, Virtanen etc IMO.

I could quite easily see Rodin and Granlund as 2/3 of an offensive 4th line though.

Yeah, those comments are a cause for concern imho.  Horvat has already proven himself as a two-way force and a 40 pt. player, but Granlund, a totally unproven replacement-level player is the apple of management's eye.  I'm trying not to be negative about him but have to admit that I am, and the all-too-probable scenario you raise is a big part of the reason why. 

14 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, those comments are a cause for concern imho.  Horvat has already proven himself as a two-way force and a 40 pt. player, but Granlund, a totally unproven replacement-level player is the apple of management's eye.  I'm trying not to be negative about him but have to admit that I am, and the all-too-probable scenario you raise is a big part of the reason why. 

Why concern? Horvat's game is all about counter-punching from a solid defensive base. It would make sense to put him with players that would compliment that style of play, no?

I think him and Virtanen are destined to be an exceedingly dangerous pair in that regard in a few years. Who the other winger will be is very much up for debate though. But I don't see it as Baer who is more of a creative/dangler/passer.

I also don't see putting Granlund as an offensive 4th line C as any sort of 'special treatment'. It's simply arranging players to best compliment their strengths.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Why concern? Horvat's game is all about counter-punching from a solid defensive base. It would make sense to put him with players that would compliment that style of play, no?

I think him and Virtanen are destined to be an exceedingly dangerous pair in that regard in a few years. Who the other winger will be is very much up for debate though. But I don't see it as Baer who is more of a creative/dangler/passer.

I also don't see putting Granlund as an offensive 4th line C as any sort of 'special treatment'. It's simply arranging players to best compliment their strengths.

Sure, there is always going to be a counter-punch dimension to Horvat's offense, but his quality of linemates still matters.  The fact is he did pair very well with Baertschi but the results they produced didn't seem to fit with Willie's view of how he should play.  So the concern is that management underestimates his offensive potential and may not give him the kind of linemates he needs (and has earned) to realize it.  Granlund has proven nothing at the NHL level yet, so type-casting him as a better offensive player definitely would be "special treatment".  I'm hoping Bo hits the ground running instead of repeating the slow starts he's had in the last two years, and really forces the issue because Granlund isn't half the player he is. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Sure, there is always going to be a counter-punch dimension to Horvat's offense, but his quality of linemates still matters.  The fact is he did pair very well with Baertschi but the results they produced didn't seem to fit with Willie's view of how he should play.  So the concern is that management underestimates his offensive potential and may not give him the kind of linemates he needs (and has earned) to realize it.  Granlund has proven nothing at the NHL level yet, so type-casting him as a better offensive player definitely would be "special treatment".  I'm hoping Bo hits the ground running instead of repeating the slow starts he's had in the last two years, and really forces the issue because Granlund isn't half the player he is. 

Nobody said anything about 'better'. You seem to be confusing style of play with evaluation of their overall talent.

IMO, Horvat is clearly better than Granlund, that doesn't mean Baer compliments his style of play. Horvat changed his game when playing with Baer and it took him slightly away from the style of play that he's most effective at. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, J.R. said:

Nobody said anything about 'better'. You seem to be confusing style of play with evaluation of their overall talent.

IMO, Horvat is clearly better than Granlund, that doesn't mean Baer compliments his style of play. Horvat changed his game when playing with Baer and it took him slightly away from the style of play that he's most effective at. 

I'd be a lot more inclined to accept that argument about style of play if it were actually spelled out.  What I recall seeing a lot of was Horvat and Baertschi coming in hard on the rush, often in counter-attack situations, and making some skilled passes to create scoring chances.  If there was floating or positional cheating in the D zone, I didn't notice it, so I'd like to know exactly  what Willie was talking about.  In any event, it's not about Sven per se, but putting Bo with wingers that will allow him to generate offense.  Virtanen could certainly be one but someone with some puck skills would also be helpful. 

On 11/07/2016 at 9:24 AM, J.R. said:

Based on WD's comments on Horvat's style of play, I wouldn't expect to see Baer or Rodin on his line barring injuries. Horvat will be playing with the likes of Burrows, Hansen, Dorsett, Etem, Virtanen etc IMO.

I could quite easily see Rodin and Granlund as 2/3 of an offensive 4th line though.

Maybe we will be like the leafs and Devils and won't have a true first line center. 

They are hard to come by these days. Closest I saw to a Henrik replacement was Mcdavid at the world juniors and we all know with our team there is no chance we draft first overall . Maybe Henrik's role will be just like Bure's in that it never gets filled. That's why these guys are Canuck legends. Hank: greatest playmaker in Canucks history. Bure: greatest goal scorer in Canuck history. 

I hope I'm wrong though. 

Edit:  I quoted the wrong post. Post I was trying to quote said that the only thing he's worried about is finding a Henrik replacement. I do all my posts on my phone. Sorry about the confusion guys. 

Edited by Ronalds.Kenins41

im concerned about Willie. doesn't seem to be on the same page as Benning and or Linden. but we shall see. Green is waiting on the wings if Willie falters this upcoming season. 

also. Horvat and Bäer are good players together. they had chemistry. you need different elements of types of players on a line in order for them to succeed. Bäer is a good playmaking winger who can get Horvat and even Virtanen if he's the other winger the puck. I think those three have very good potential to be a very good line together. 

• Upvote 1

On July 11, 2016 at 2:20 PM, J.R. said:

This subject keeps coming up as though Benning is done and has his feet up. 

We likely have 2-4 more years of Sedins to draft, trade or sign a couple top 6 guys.

We've already got Baer, Boesser, Horvat and Virtanen as likely candidates for 4 of the 6 spots. We've got Eriksson as a bridge as another spot and lottery tickets like Rodin, Zhukenov etc and 2-4 years to find a couple key guys and people are acting like it's Armageddon...

Edit:Plus we have an increasingly full D cupboard we may be able to move for guys in a couple years!

Like this part the best, in the 3 years of JB we went from a bare one dimensional blue line to a blue line with promise and hope. Hutton I'll give MG credit but tryamkin was drafted two years ago and now he's looking to be slotted into the top 6. Also his late picks are looking promising, Olsen had a monster year, Subban put up good ahl numbers. 

Then ofcourse there's juolevi, which is funny because that team that was one spot ahead in much more dire need of impactful dmen is evermore cluttering their top 6 spots... Puljujarvi I understand... benson I do not, using a 2nd rounder on yet another forward... Lol this makes me think that Benning has a lot more of a clue on team building than Charelli does.

This is team is building a solid crew from the net out which is how it oughta be done

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, goblix said:

Like this part the best, in the 3 years of JB we went from a bare one dimensional blue line to a blue line with promise and hope. Hutton I'll give MG credit but tryamkin was drafted two years ago and now he's looking to be slotted into the top 6. Also his late picks are looking promising, Olsen had a monster year, Subban put up good ahl numbers. 

Then ofcourse there's juolevi, which is funny because that team that was one spot ahead in much more dire need of impactful dmen is evermore cluttering their top 6 spots... Puljujarvi I understand... benson I do not, using a 2nd rounder on yet another forward... Lol this makes me think that Benning has a lot more of a clue on team building than Charelli does.

This is team is building a solid crew from the net out which is how it oughta be done

Yeah, you look at the guys that should be pretty safe projections to be top 6 in a few years and we already have 'too many'. 

Juolevi, Gudbranson

Hutton, Tryamkin

Sbisa, Tanev

Pedan, Stetcher

That's with no UFA's etc, no Brisebois, no Tate or Olson, no Subban and no further draft players. 

Some of those guys will need to be moved and we've seen what D get. I'd be happy to see what something like a Tanev plus Brisebois or Subban/Stetcher package lands us in say 2-3 years :towel:

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, you look at the guys that should be pretty safe projections to be top 6 in a few years and we already have 'too many'. 

Juolevi, Gudbranson

Hutton, Tryamkin

Sbisa, Tanev

Pedan, Stetcher

That's with no UFA's etc, no Brisebois, no Tate or Olson, no Subban and no further draft players. 

Some of those guys will need to be moved and we've seen what D get. I'd be happy to see what something like a Tanev plus Brisebois or Subban/Stetcher package lands us in say 2-3 years :towel:

The best part is their age/unknowns 

We know what we have in Tanev

We know what we have in gudbranson 

Hutton and tyramkin look fantastic their rookie years

I can see Sbisa getting moved. If not he's still a great bottom pairing guy. 

As for the rest, they have Soooo much potential odds are one of them exceeds expectations in the next 2 years. Plus like I was saying before, our oldest defensman  (assuming Edler is gone) will be Tanev and Sbisa at 28 yrs old.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

The best part is their age/unknowns 

We know what we have in Tanev

We know what we have in gudbranson 

Hutton and tyramkin look fantastic their rookie years

I can see Sbisa getting moved. If not he's still a great bottom pairing guy. 

As for the rest, they have Soooo much potential odds are one of them exceeds expectations in the next 2 years. Plus like I was saying before, our oldest defensman  (assuming Edler is gone) will be Tanev and Sbisa at 28 yrs old.

One of the many, MANY reasons the Gudbranson trade was SO good. Add the Juolevi draft and we're set up pretty well for the future.

Still can't believe people complained about that trade.

Anyway, just realized this is the Rodin thread, we're WAY off topic:lol:

Edited by J.R.

I would like to think Rodin can have a Joonas Donskoi effect on this team.

Bubble around the middle six of the team and add some good offense and still find himself on the powerplay here and there.  Realistically, is 25-35 points a reasonable range to expect?

My only concern is not so much will Anton get it done, but more so what kind of chances will WD give him and whether he is going to be patient like he was with Sven.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I would like to think Rodin can have a Joonas Donskoi effect on this team.

Bubble around the middle six of the team and add some good offense and still find himself on the powerplay here and there.  Realistically, is 25-35 points a reasonable range to expect?

My only concern is not so much will Anton get it done, but more so what kind of chances will WD give him and whether he is going to be patient like he was with Sven.

Good to see this back to Rodin talk...

I expect at least 35 points and up to 45 or more if he get's PP time from 2nd or 3rd line minutes.

He may start out slow, hence the 35 point bottom end but he will hold his own with his middle 6 linemates by Dec.

...if he plays middle 6 all year he is almost bound to get 35 points...unless we really do suck...

11 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

This guy is our Artemi Panarin. He's still considered a true rookie with 0 games played and he comes into the league just under the age requirement by less than 2 months. I doubt that he wins the Calder, but I'm going to guess he finishes top 5.

If Willy plays him... I have been looking forward to Rodin since we drafted him, was unfortunate that injuries hampered his AHL seasons. However when he played he looked like he had some serious skill.

Hope he can come in and take that top 6 roll and shut up the people saying he wont make it. Top 5 rookie scoring sounds good

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2016 at 6:57 PM, J.R. said:

I remember him being complete garbage the first half of the year, and scoring at around a 60 point pace when put on a line with Baer over the second half. 

His first year he was serviceable on the fourth line, and excellent when put on a line with Hansen.

Baer - Horvat - Hansen makes as much sense as Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson. 

Checking line of Burrows - Sutter - Dorsett. Young energy line of Rodin - Granlund - Etem. Maybe swap Dorsett & Etem. Grenier gets the 13th spot. Gaunce/Virtanen earn first callup. 

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

I remember him being complete garbage the first half of the year, and scoring at around a 60 point pace when put on a line with Baer over the second half. 

His first year he was serviceable on the fourth line, and excellent when put on a line with Hansen.

Baer - Horvat - Hansen makes as much sense as Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson. 

Checking line of Burrows - Sutter - Dorsett. Young energy line of Rodin - Granlund - Etem. Maybe swap Dorsett & Etem. Grenier gets the 13th spot. Gaunce/Virtanen earn first callup. 

Yeah I wouldn't have Eriksson on the Sedin line either.  

The way they're building the team, they want to run 4, two way lines. I don't think we'll have a traditional 'checking' or fourth line. (Though Sutter and Horvat's lines will see the most D zone starts/'checking').

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Baer, Sutter, Eriksson

Burrows, Horvat, Etem/Virtanen

Etem/Virtanen/Rodin, Granlund, Dorsett 

Zalewski (over Grenier as he can also play  C and is more consistent) as 13th.

My guess is one of Virtanen/Rodin doesn't make the club. Wouldn't surprise me to see Virtanen in Utica (and it would probably do him wonders for numerous reasons).