The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

14 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Baer-Bo-Rodin is the line I expect Willie to put out there just like in the preseason. they gel pretty well together also. i like the triple B line also but with a sniper like Rodin, it would be wise to put him there and give Burr 3rd line minutes with Granny and Chaput

I think Burr is looking great on that line and theyre producing. Id like to see Rodin's creativity with Eriksson and Granlund. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Baer-Bo-Rodin is the line I expect Willie to put out there just like in the preseason. they gel pretty well together also. i like the triple B line also but with a sniper like Rodin, it would be wise to put him there and give Burr 3rd line minutes with Granny and Chaput

Why mess with our hottest line though? Makes no sense from a practical standpoint

I wonder how Rodin would do with the Sedins.  They are both pass first type guys now, so a natural trigger man with speed might work well.  I haven't seen Rodin play enough to know if he plays the cycle game well enough to be on that line.  

He certainly gives us options assuming he comes in and makes an impact.  

2 hours ago, khay said:

If Rodin plays well with Eriksson and Granlund, then does that put Hansen as well as Dorsett on the 4th line? Dorsett-Chaput-Hansen?

All of a sudden it feels like our team is pretty deep up front. Playoffs?

That's a nice thought? Play off's...

At the moment my two biggest concerns are simple. No. 1 we compete extremely hard. No. 2 we, regardless of it being on the hunt for the puck or dangling with it, that we try and make plays. 

We should all play like Stecher. He tries to make plays.  And he uses every ounce of his speed and agility.  If he loses the puck he fights twice as hard to get it back.

That's also a change in thought for me in some ways.  Two years ago, even this summer, I would yell at my tv when Sbisa lost the puck. "Let someone else handle the puck!"  Well Sbisa is playing better.  He's learning to use his strength, protect the puck, and keep his head up. So he can see a play. We have more young guys with speed, with skill. They just need to know everyone will fight like Stecher, like Burrows, to get the puck back. Back them! And everyone can have the confidence to give it a go when they get the puck.

Rodin will be one more guy that can beat a defender, bury the biscuit.  I hope he does not come in conservative!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

That's a nice thought? Play off's...

At the moment my two biggest concerns are simple. No. 1 we compete extremely hard. No. 2 we, regardless of it being on the hunt for the puck or dangling with it, that we try and make plays. 

We should all play like Stecher. He tries to make plays.  And he uses every ounce of his speed and agility.  If he loses the puck he fights twice as hard to get it back.

That's also a change in thought for me in some ways.  Two years ago, even this summer, I would yell at my tv when Sbisa lost the puck. "Let someone else handle the puck!"  Well Sbisa is playing better.  He's learning to use his strength, protect the puck, and keep his head up. So he can see a play. We have more young guys with speed, with skill. They just need to know everyone will fight like Stecher, like Burrows, to get the puck back. Back them! And everyone can have the confidence to give it a go when they get the puck.

Rodin will be one more guy that can beat a defender, bury the biscuit.  I hope he does not come in conservative!

Agreed, sadly while Gaunce is working hard I feel this is the trap he has fallen into. There have been a few times I imagined that had he been in Utica he would have taken a pop at goal instead of feeding a team mate. We need to see the kind of almost point / game he was in Utica or he might find himself the odd man out and I think he is better than that.

4 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Gaunce is a different beast then a guy like Rodin though and it could work out in his favor. Pure offensive guys like Rodin have to come into the league and score. They dont really get 2 -3 years to figure out the league and develop where as a guy like Gaunce can come in, work hard and soley focus on being devensively responsible and just work his ass off and keep a spot in the lineup.

As he gets better and more comfortable over the years he can work his way up as injuries happen, start to put more focus on contributing offensively. Look at how Burrows and Hansen came into the league and where they're at now. You'd never think that they would be anything more than just grinders but hard work and a little bit of talent, which Gaunce has can lead to a great player. I think Gaunce will surprise in a few years and start to move up the lineup

I think that is how management views things as well. Sometimes it comes down to the personality as well. Gaunce strikes me as very coachable. WD is likely telling him that he plays the 4th line and focusses on good d-zone play and a solid forecheck. From what I see that is what Gaunce is producing.

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Agreed, sadly while Gaunce is working hard I feel this is the trap he has fallen into. There have been a few times I imagined that had he been in Utica he would have taken a pop at goal instead of feeding a team mate. We need to see the kind of almost point / game he was in Utica or he might find himself the odd man out and I think he is better than that.

Tomatoes has a great post below echoing what I would think.

Gaunce is on the team, because he has speed, size, and an infectious work rate. Probably does not have the god given nift some have to dangle, score goals?  I just watched, a day late but not a dollar short, the Minny game.  Gaunce was creating chances.  He went to the net for rebounds. Had a tip that went wide. Took the puck to the front of the net from Gretzky;s pocket behind the net, to try a jam it in. Made a behind the back pass from the same spot back to Megna who just missed it.  He is creating chances!

Some productivity will come.

Just needs time to get all his decision making, his skills up to NHL speed. To develop. He did do the same at the AHL level. Started slow, then found his place. But in the meantime he's also solid defensively. Back checking, fore checking hard. An effective match up body. He's not even a risk, a guy who coughs up pucks, or gives up chances against. 

I have lots of time for Gaunce.

4 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Gaunce is a different beast then a guy like Rodin though and it could work out in his favor. Pure offensive guys like Rodin have to come into the league and score. They dont really get 2 -3 years to figure out the league and develop where as a guy like Gaunce can come in, work hard and soley focus on being devensively responsible and just work his ass off and keep a spot in the lineup.

As he gets better and more comfortable over the years he can work his way up as injuries happen, start to put more focus on contributing offensively. Look at how Burrows and Hansen came into the league and where they're at now. You'd never think that they would be anything more than just grinders but hard work and a little bit of talent, which Gaunce has can lead to a great player. I think Gaunce will surprise in a few years and start to move up the lineup

The big key with Rodin will be what speed & agility he returns from his leg injury with? 

He also plays a responsible game. And learned to play in the "dirty" areas, to score tight goals, in Sweden. Was showing he could operate in similar more confined spaces in the pre-season. And had the  instincts when he did get the puck, the skills to do something.  But did not quite have the speed to always get  where he needed. That was probably his injury?

If he is dexterous, can explode in different directions with the puck?  Like we see in his Euro highlight reels. He is going to be fine. It's all about whether he return with his speed...

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2016 at 5:32 PM, johngould21 said:

According to Team Stream, he's not on IR, but was two days ago. Must mean that his return is near..

I have no idea what that is, but CapFriendly still shows him as on IR. Considering as of two weeks ago he still needed 3 weeks and we haven't seen him practicing with the team yet, he'd have to still be on IR.

Technically we do only have 22 active players on the roster right now, so any of our injured players could come off IR, but since they're all already on there's no point in taking them off just to find we need to call someone else up (or make a waiver claim or anything else) before they're healthy.

On 12/2/2016 at 1:23 AM, elvis15 said:

I have no idea what that is, but CapFriendly still shows him as on IR. Considering as of two weeks ago he still needed 3 weeks and we haven't seen him practicing with the team yet, he'd have to still be on IR.

Technically we do only have 22 active players on the roster right now, so any of our injured players could come off IR, but since they're all already on there's no point in taking them off just to find we need to call someone else up (or make a waiver claim or anything else) before they're healthy.

Sorry, should have said Bleacher Report, team stream is an individual section of BR. Just saw an update from Benning that he's skating on his own, and I'm sure he has been for the past while. I agree, he's probably still on IR.