The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks D

Type R

After watching a barrage of hits (some dirty) blocked shots, and mishaps, I'm not only concerned about our depth but I'm also unhappy with how its being managed.

Obviously more than a couple of our blueliners are playing through injuries, and after watching the Calgary game, its evident the opposing teams are going to try and make those injuries worse.  Why is Pedan not being played, why is Subban not given a chance?  I'm just not getting it.  Discuss

Salo Haha.jpg

Pedan and Subban haven't shown they deserve NHL ice time. Injuries may force Pedan in, but I'd guess we might look at signing Robak to a contract (AHL only currently) even ahead of Subban. Subban's defensive issues are still to great for anything other than a sheltered role, and if we're dealing with injuries that'll force him into probably more than he can handle.

Our D is being handled just fine, and if we had someone step up we'd get them ice time. Actually, we have had someone step up - Stecher - who's taken over for our stopgap in Larsen.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

I'm sure if Pedan is needed he'll be played.  Subban can't defend even in the minors.  I also miss Salo. 

I miss Salo too. Regardless of his glass like nature, he was still a steady dman with a hell of a shot!

1 hour ago, Beeekz37 said:

I miss Salo too. Regardless of his glass like nature, he was still a steady dman with a hell of a shot!

What was amazing about Salo was his ability to bounce back and immediately play well after an injury.  No time needed to ease Balls of Steel back into the lineup.

Tanev has that same calming ability on the back end, he just doesn't come with the Salo Cannon.  Mind you, watching Edler drop a guy today was oddly confidence inspiring.  When Ehroff and Salo were back there, players respected the slappers, our team is lacking that, maybe with Edler lining them up, they will think twice.

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

What was amazing about Salo was his ability to bounce back and immediately play well after an injury.  No time needed to ease Balls of Steel back into the lineup.

Lol I'll never forget the looks on the Chicago bench coming back the next game after that nutshot.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

-1 for the Salo meme.

Salo has balls of steel.

Salo is one of the greatest characters to ever wear a Canucks jersey.

Lol hence the meme..  Salo is my all time favorite Canuck D.  I was making light of our injuries, but I suppose it didn't come off right.

1 minute ago, Type R said:

Lol hence the meme..  Salo is my all time favorite Canuck D.  I was making light of our injuries, but I suppose it didn't come off right.

Yeah, sorta easy to misinterpret I think - I'll take the minus away.

edit: just noticed the yoda with headphones - make that a +1 instead.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Hutton, Stretcher and Oilli spread over 3 pairings can't happen.

soft-core 

too easy to play against. Their partners don't need to hold their hands. Reminds me of all those Sedin lines. 

It won't surprise me if Hutton is part of a trade package. 

hence Tryamkin and Guddy

Edler-Stecher

Olli-Guddy

Hutton-Tryamkin

Whats wrong with that?

21 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

hence Tryamkin and Guddy

Edler-Stecher

Olli-Guddy

Hutton-Tryamkin

Whats wrong with that?

That's friggin Awesome S'all.  Those pairings are a really good combination of skill and toughness.  I really like the Olli - Guddy pair.  Then our youngest guy is with our toughest guy.  Makes really good sense.

I don't like our lack of dynamic offensive talent, or a 30 minute beast like a Keith or Doughty. I'll agree there. 

There's a lot of youth back there right now though, and at worst Gudbranson, Hutton, Tryamkin, Pedan, all provide excellent 4,5,6 depth (and I really think Tryamkin could become an important anchor guy). Stecher is probably a 2nd pairing guy, but he may be paired with Juolevi one day. 

What Juolevi is will have a huge impact on how we are able to slot the other guys in and make 3rd pairing guys look like 2nd pairing guys.

Archived