The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Willie Watch

JM_

9 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Chicago had a somewhat similar problem after winning the cup in 2010, more than half the roster became UFA and Chicago had to retool again and did a good job of it going back to the cup in a couple years.

Superior scouting? Superior drafting? Superior coaching? Superior development of prospects? Superior front office? All of the above?

Personally, I don't see any similarities between the 2 franchises or situations at all. 

2 hours ago, PlanB said:

Completely disagree with this, the twins haven't let anyone down and are still exemplary leaders in every respect .   They don't control who is/isn't on this team or who is/isn't on the ice each shift - JB and Willy do.

I'm not saying they're playing like it's 2010 ,  but to say they are the ones letting this team down is completely false imo.

If anyone has let this team down it is clearly OWNERSHIP!  Giving TL/JB an impossible task of remaining competitive and making the playoffs every year is what got us to this point - not the Twins naturally slowing down which both ownership fans should have seen coming years ago. 

Twins still give it all on a nightly basis - that is the definition of leadership.  

^ This.

To give a job to someone that you already know they can't do isn't their fault - it's yours.  Ownership and management put the team in the situation it is in right now, not any single player, especially not the Twins. 

10 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

John Stevens? Which would be a more attractive job: Associate Coach in Los Angeles or Head Coach in Vancouver?

I don't think Willie gets fired before his contract is up after next year, firstly because ownership knows this team is marginal at best and secondly because they probably don't want to be paying three head coaches at the same time (torts, Willie and the new guy). That being said, Stevens is a decent shout and I've always had a soft spot for Ted Nolan as well. 

9 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Superior scouting? Superior drafting? Superior coaching? Superior development of prospects? Superior front office? All of the above?

Personally, I don't see any similarities between the 2 franchises or situations at all. 

Toews and Kane.

The retooling reload,semi rebuild has failed the minor league coachexperiment is an abismal failure .

He WD was wrong rookie coach to lead the team.no more rookie coaches get a real good NHL calibre coach ,one that knows how to develop young players properly.

I suspect management does not have the balls to do the right thing.

22 minutes ago, xRussianrocket said:

This is the exact thing, unless a bonafide 5+ year veteral good coach come up were just gonna replace willie with another minor league nobody coach.  Unless a gem coach comes up suddenly i see no point ditching willie for another crap factory.  Management is right to ride it out and wait for something long term.

No experienced coach will take our job, unless it's clear the team is rebuilding, don't you think?

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Are you serious?

Are you comparing that line up with the present one? Even AV would be foundering with this bunch of players.

Is that what I did? Pretty sure I was saying that the core were hardly washed up at the end of AV's term. Certainly no more than San Jose's was when they finally made it to the SCF. By the way, did San Jose panic and dismantle their core group between 2011 and last year? 

The problem with the Canucks under AV when he was sacked wasn't that they were stale so much as they - Mike Gillis, in particular - strayed from what brought them the most success. Speed and skill. They tried to emulate the Boston method, post-2011, and it failed. That's more on MG than AV. By the time he hired Torts - whom I actually liked - it was clear he had lost his bearings as a GM and would be out of a job in only a matter of time. 

4 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

The retooling reload,semi rebuild has failed the minor league coachexperiment is an abismal failure .

He WD was wrong rookie coach to lead the team.no more rookie coaches get a real good NHL calibre coach ,one that knows how to develop young players properly.

I suspect management does not have the balls to do the right thing.

Yup, TL and JB need to stand up to the owner.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

If you bring in a new coach now, you will see an adjustment period and they may struggle even more. A new coach will implement new systems and the year will for sure be a wash. I would leave WD until the offseason and maintain stability. I don't think Willie has done well at this level. He dose not make adjustments very quickly and gets out coached all of the time.

The way he has used his goal tenders is half the problem.  They should have been alternated to keep them fresh. This years schedule dictated it and the back to backs were no surprise.

That is certainly one approach.  What I see in a coaching change is an acknowledgement from the organization that the win now approach with the old core is not working and we need a complete change of attitude/message in the room.  I just don't see how WD will have any credibility with this group (if he has any now) in changing direction like that.  WE need a coach to come in that has a clean slate.  Who can sit vets that under-perform and play the kids when they work hard.  A coach who isn't so stuck in his positions in how he deploys players i.e. refusing to put Bo on the PP, refusing to split the twins etc.  

I know this season is lost even if mathematically the Nucks are still in the hunt.  I just don't want to see another season of signing FA vets like Eriksson and hanging on to declining core players in some ridiculous attempt to remain relevant in regards to playoffs.  

I want to see the GM move any player that can bring back a better long-tem asset.  Give kids the opportunity to take on the senior roles that right now are being gifted to vets wh are not earning their contracts. 

Just can't see any of that happening with WD behind the bench.

Just now, Alflives said:

No experienced coach will take our job, unless it's clear the team is rebuilding, don't you think?

This. Until there is a clear direction coming from management this team will continue to drift in mediocrity and confusion. Even the players don't know what to do half the time.

TL and JB need to stop pretending we can make the playoffs. The only way we had a hope of making a wild card spot was if everything went right. When has this team not suffered a serious injury to a top player? I can't remember. Our top 2 D are out and have been for some time. Name any other team in the league that could survive losing their top pairing for any length of time and not struggle.

The writing is on the wall. Let the kids play and learn on the job and try to win. If you don't, oh well. Just means a better draft pick.

I would love a coaching change but I know that is not the problem. Could it fix some things? Absolutely. WD makes very questionable moves and choices and his inability to adjust on the fly is glaring.

42 minutes ago, appleboy said:

So, lets say WD gets let go. Who comes in next?

Jarvis or Pearn could easily step in. 

But Gallant is out there.... I like what he did with the that team who had a similar mix of kids and vet's. Pre-analytics cluster-f*** that is. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh Alfie, yes they will. There's 31 jobs on the planet for these guys. Its a buyers market. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Jarvis or Pearn could easily step in. 

But Gallant is out there.... I like what he did with the that team who had a similar mix of kids and vet's. Pre-analytics cluster-f*** that is. 

Would Gallant take our job though, considering all the confusion of direction, and ownership (perhaps?) meddling?

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 4:02 PM, CeeBee51 said:

We need the perfect coach..... I wonder what God is doing for the next few years.  ::D

Never mind...... CDC would run him out of town too. Might have to settle for a retread. Depending when Willie "retires"  we won't know who is available. Right now there's Gallant, Hitchcock next year maybe..... have to wait for all the firings that are bound to happen I suppose.

No need to worry about Willie, Linden guaranteed his tenure by admitting that the team needed to be rebuilt but he wouldn't do it because it wouldn't be fair to the Sedins. Linden knows the team isn't going anywhere.

Archived