The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks re-assign Brendan Gaunce

-Vintage Canuck-

I hear a lot of talk about Willie and his favorites.....

Seriously, Benning made the call on Gaunce.  Why?  Not developing.  We all see that he does some good things but he's no better than he was months ago.

Willie decides who of the 23 roster players get in on a given night but Benning decides who the 23 are.  Sure there are discussions, but Big Jim makes the call.  Gaunce, 22 has upside.  We all want to see him get to the next level so off he goes to Utica.  This is a good thing.  Just like it was a good thing for Virtanen.

What about Megna?  27 years old.  Chaput?  24. Skille? 29.....they are what they are......depth.  Fringe NHLers with no upside to speak of.  Just fine on the 4th line or filling in for injured players when the options are limited.  

Boucher got 1 game and didn't look great and he admitted he wasn't playing well in an interview between periods.  He's 23 so is there still upside?  He potted 62 with Sarnia in the OHL in 2012-13 at age 19 but that was 4 years ago.  63 goals in 149 games in the AHL and 12 in 85 in the NHL.  I really don't know but I expect he is depth as well.

So these 4 are in the line up because the team doesn't have the depth up front.  None of the young players in Utica are ready for prime time.  If one of the young guys out competes one of the depth players for a spot then they are ready.  This is the bar that Benning has set for Utica players to jump over.  They have to show they are better than fringe players.  Isn't this the way it should be?

I'm glad there are players around who they can plug in while their prospects develop.  Asset management.

While I am at it, does anybody think that Larson or Biega are anything more than depth at this point?

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Pathetic.  4th players are allowed to go all year without scoring, because they have to play with other 4th liners?  That's a joke.  Vey was twice as effective as this guy - but don't let any details get in the way of your strict love/hate dichotomies.

When you graduate from kindergarten and have learned to converse politely and intelligently, we can continue this conversation. 

So far you have shown you only come in here to hurl insults and putdowns.  Now that is pathetic.

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

When you graduate from kindergarten and have learned to converse politely and intelligently, we can continue this conversation. 

So far you have shown you only come in here to hurl insults and putdowns.  Now that is pathetic.

There's a few on here I've noticed like that. Obviously knowledgeable people but have to be right by flexing their internet muscles every chance they get. 

You sure about that?  Weren't you saying that it was Willy's error that we didn't play Tryamkin soon enough?  I thought his success was in spite of the coaching staff.  I thought he could handle 38 minutes a night (as long as he doesn't have to play with a weak partner). 

Are you honestly suggesting that the coaching staff can improve Boucher's footspeed in a matter of weeks, or is this another half-serious comment that allows you to live on the fence?

Oh, and I'm so sorry for calling it hate when you slag a guy at every opportunity.  (Btw - isn't Vey just absolute trash?  Even guys like us can see that)

pretty sure 

Vey? Do we miss him now?

You're an armchair observer with no skin in the game, and your evaluations are deeply lacking in objectivity. 

Megna is a fringe NHLr. Thats an objective view.

Boucher has had a lot of success in the minors and AHL. Pretty sure thats objective too. Hey thats 2/2. 

We have, well had, 4 fringe guys in our lineup. Boucher, IF he's in game shape, is as good a bet to try as Gaunce, Skille or Megna for 1 or 2 more games. I think thats 3/3 on the objectivity meter.

I'm not quite sure why you are on such a soap box rant about swapping Boucher for Megna. Maybe its you that needs some armchair objectivity. 

10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

pretty sure 

Vey? Do we miss him now?

I was thinking about Vey the other night. I was definitely team Vey last year after hating him the year before. IMO he was one of our better set up men, he was very good at making plays off the side boards.

I think a lot of the Vey hate last year was just because he was playing a bigger role than some people liked. But Megna and Chaput make Vey look like an all star.

Man could I ever go for some LV right now. Can you guys just apologize to the man already and see if he'll take us back?? :P

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

I was thinking about Vey the other night. I was definitely team Vey last year after hating him the year before. IMO he was one of our better set up men, he was very good at making plays off the side boards.

I think a lot of the Vey hate last year was just because he was playing a bigger role than some people liked. But Megna and Chaput make Vey look like an all star.

Man could I ever go for some LV right now. Can you guys just apologize to the man already and see if he'll take us back?? :P

I actually wanted us to re-sign Vey to a 2 way, 1 year extension. If he could play that well with all that personal crap going on i thought he deserved it. Don't tell Truck tho, he's got me "pegged" :lol:

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Megna is a fringe NHLr. Thats an objective view.

Boucher has had a lot of success in the minors and AHL. Pretty sure thats objective too. Hey thats 2/2. 

We have, well had, 4 fringe guys in our lineup. Boucher, IF he's in game shape, is as good a bet to try as Gaunce, Skille or Megna for 1 or 2 more games. I think thats 3/3 on the objectivity meter.

I'm not quite sure why you are on such a soap box rant about swapping Boucher for Megna. Maybe its you that needs some armchair objectivity. 

You are to be commended for your objectivity. :)

3 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

You're an armchair observer with no skin in the game, and your evaluations are deeply lacking in objectivity.  Willy should definitely take his cues from you, since your just throwing stuff out there.  You mostly comment in half-jest, so forgive me for not taking you seriously.  I leave soon so that you can get your echo chamber going again. 

You make some good points but boy do you come across as a bit of an know-it-all-pompous ass...

Sending down Gaunce? For real? Nobody would claim Megna, Chaput or Larsen if you waived them through...and if they did, so what. You've still got Boucher...Hell you could have had Etem.

Gaunce was our top offensive player on the Comets last year playing all position on the 1st line. Yeah...you wouldn't want to put him in a position to succeed in the NHL.

At this point I am in shock that I've been forced to watch Chaput, Megna, and Larsen all year on this team. A couple of AHL plug/fringe NHLers and a useless "offensive" defenceman who has no offence. Larsen is as bad as Rafael Diaz was.

I'll give Skille a pass because he's chewing through rope and is actually doing alright. But I'd was rather see our real prospects than watch those other clowns prove over and over again how mediocre they are.

Megna on the top line? How about Grenier, how about Virtanen, how about Gaunce for F sakes?

Larsen? You know who has offensive upside? Subban! Could he really be that much worse defensively than Larsen? Not really. And he might actually help the offence a bit.

The margin between winning and losing is very small for this team. These mind numbing coaching decisions are not helping and not providing much entertainment either.

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Gaunce.  22 years old.  even player in the league playing 4th line duties with questionable mates.  They could be trusted in almost any situation

I think he did amazingly well considering the season we're having and this can only be good for his development.  Now he can go back and start doing the little things again in utica like offensive play and taking more chances on the play.

The guy did everything he needed and did it well.  Can't wait to have him back next season

I would give this a plus one but you're at 50 right now and that's just perfect haha

3 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

Who wants to bet Gaunce puts up better numbers than Virt? I hope it doesn't happen, but Virtanen went from Saviour Golden Boy to AHL prospect.

I'm quite confident that will be the case IF they aren't on the same line.

9 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Compared to what? No really? How many plugs in the AHL can skate well? He can't pass or shoot, let alone score. 

I don't think I'd call Megna a player with "size"  - he and Boucher are the same weight.... granted Boucher probably has more in common with Wellwood but we're missing out on nothing by sitting Megna, assuming Boucher is in game shape. 

He is fast, has good defensive instincts, competes well and despite what you say IS a good passer. Granted he has not been scoring but that is not quite as important on the 4th line. If he can copy Gaunce's performance (who also didn't score) I will think he will be doing a good job.

I've nothing against Boucher, all I am saying is if he was anything special we would likely not have got him off waivers. I will hold my opinion until he has had 6/7 games.

"

Talent Analysis

Megna is by all accounts a late-bloomer, having played in the USHL until he was 21 and playing one season of college hockey before signing an NHL entry-level contract. He possesses above average speed and skill and has shown to have good one-on-one abilities and soft hands in tight. He is a willing combatant in the corners.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jayson-megna/#Yq8Y99cHmXDjxHep.99

Archived