The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recall Jake Virtanen???

nomairbasar

40 minutes ago, nomairbasar said:

OK, so I've been wondering if it would benefit the Canucks if they brought up Jake Virtanen just in time for this playoff push the Canucks are TRYING to do. Would it help the Canucks if Jake were  here?? I notice a lack of physicality in our game while I watch and I wonder if Jake could bring us the much needed speed and physicality  we lack. Plus, I am a beliver he would maybe even be able to pot in between 5-10 goals in the next 30ish games. He's bound to have gained some scoring touch while down in Utica so why not send down megna or someone else and give Jake a second chamce?? Thoughts??

Why? he can't even cut it in the AHL 

he is a bust, we messed up that pick 

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Why? he can't even cut it in the AHL 

he is a bust, we messed up that pick 

I have been more critical of him than most on here but he doesn't deserve this yet. He has been a disappointment so far but he is still young enough to have a chance at turning that around.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm wondering if the kid could even make our ECHL team?

And this rate I would say no 

he had a chance to rip it up and put pressure on the Canucks management. He is a another modern day slacker that had success in junior and felt his future was set. He stopped working and paid the price 

bo horvats are one in a million nowadays 

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

And this rate I would say no 

he had a chance to rip it up and put pressure on the Canucks management. He is a another modern day slacker that had success in junior and felt his future was set. He stopped working and paid the price 

bo horvats are one in a million nowadays 

I give Jake one more summer.  If he comes to the next camp fat and not fit, he should be done. 

Jake has loads of talent, a physicality that we have not seen here since Bertuzzi in his prime.

We got Bertuzzi as a raw, under performing 22 year old. After one and a half seasons, Bertuzzi broke out as the premiere power forward in the game at the age of 24/25. Jake is 20 years old, and has battled some difficult injuries so far in his young career, which is incredibly tough for someone who's trademark is a rough and tumble game. Right now he's in the AHL learning the little things, the nuances of the game so that once he establishes his two way game, he can focus on his scoring touch.

Not every top end pick is ready for the NHL right away, it's pretty special when a 19/20 year old can break into the league and meet expectation. We're all looking at Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, etc. Hutton and Stecher both had full college careers, they had time to find their games. Tryamkin played 1-2 seasons in the KHL with other Pros so also had time to find his game.

Virtanen was injured in his 3rd year of Junior, and then was rushed to the big club, in all honesty his first year here should have been a full year in Junior absolutely dominating, then going straight to the AHL for 1-2 seasons.

Power forwards always take longer to develop into successful and productive pro's at the NHL level. Virtanen is going to be fine, but we need to give him a few years before declaring him a bust.

I think as playoffs for this year get further and further out of reach.  I would rather our callups be the player working the hardest on the farm, as a reward.

I think that gets everyone in Utica working harder.  If guys like Jake get called up, probably makes some of the other guys feel a certain way.

1 hour ago, nomairbasar said:

OK, so I've been wondering if it would benefit the Canucks if they brought up Jake Virtanen just in time for this playoff push the Canucks are TRYING to do. Would it help the Canucks if Jake were  here?? I notice a lack of physicality in our game while I watch and I wonder if Jake could bring us the much needed speed and physicality  we lack. Plus, I am a beliver he would maybe even be able to pot in between 5-10 goals in the next 30ish games. He's bound to have gained some scoring touch while down in Utica so why not send down megna or someone else and give Jake a second chamce?? Thoughts??

If they Did they'd just stick him on the 4th line again so what's the point. Stupid willie. I think leaving him in utica is better even tho he plays with absolute crap there 

The last thing Jake needs right now is disruption to his development. Playing on the 4th line, being in WD's doghouse for missing a defensive assignment and getting endless negative press? No. Call Jake up to help with what?? Calling him up is certainly not going to help him. 

Let's face hard facts here....the team is NOT good. Let's learn to live with it and enjoy whatever good comes out of this season. Like the gradual energence of Bo Horvat. If the Canucks stink up this road trip, it's a blessing. 

2 hours ago, nomairbasar said:

Please continue discussion here in the proper subforum. 

Archived