The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

President Linden on Team 1040, Feb 10th

AlwaysACanuckFan

Just now, smithers joe said:

if they plan on moving ufa's at deadline. they are not going to mention  who they might move. edler has said several times, he doesn't want to move. they won't force him to drop his ntc, but could tell him, they are not protecting him for the expansion draft.  i hope unless they can get a great return for hansen, that they don't move him. 

I do not think there is anything stopping the Canucks from leaving Edler exposed to Vegas in return for a pick coming back. I had fingered Tanev for a trade because of what he might bring back. The Edler option to Vegas could change that depending on what is offered. I still like Edler for a few more years at 20 - 22 TOI. Less ice = a better game from him.

well put by TL. it's always good to add picks especially for those who we won't be protecting if the Edler protection is true. but what was the most important point he had mentioned is that they won't be trading picks which is great to hear. unless they get a mindblowing trade offer for Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Miller, Hansen, Burrr, best move is to always stay put and see how the market plays out. there have been very little trades so far because of the expansion draft coming up and we have to have a capable replacement for say pending FAs Burr, Miller so I won't surprised if we don't do anything for a 2nd consecutive TDL

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

GL would be great. GL-Bo-Loui could be a beaut.  Is Hutton and Virtanen too much to give up? Thats pretty much the best offer we could make if no picks are involved. 

I think you're in the ball park. I hate the way that trade looks, probably at least what it would take though, maybe more.

15 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Idk why, but i keep having this gut feeling that Jim and co will stay pat in the next few weeks and at the deadline.  

Just get that vibe that the team still hasn't made up their mind what they want to do.  

Thats because there is no clear path.

Do nothing, and you leave a roster guy unprotected, but then is it the worst move ever to lose Hansen to protect Granny, Baer and Sbisa? Or some other combination of that?

Move Miller, and we still have to go out and get a similar guy for the same dough.

No picks are going to be moved, so that limits a lot of deals.

Who has cap space for Burr?

And thats just on our end, every team has a similar jumble of decisions.  

It will be disappointing to not trade Miller for at least a 2nd rounder before the TDL.

He has maximized his value, and a team needing depth at goalie heading into the playoffs might be interested.

Canucks can pass the torch to Markstrom and Demko and not miss a beat.

Its hard to make trades with ageing assets...my prediction is the Canucks will make no moves at the TDL because no one will be willing to buy for a short term upgrade, especially with the expansion draft looming.

Canucks need to draft well.

I think everyone is thinking too much about the expansion draft.

Teams that feel they can add a piece to win a CUP this year will still make that move for a rental player and mortgage the future a little. It's so hard to legitimately have a shot to win the cup year over year you need to try and add that piece when your "window" is open.For example , If Montreal thinks they can win by bolstering their bottom 6 with a player like Burrows they'll be willing to move a draft pick to do so. Yes, draft picks have value but so does not losing another year of not getting the cup with a roster you believe in because you didn't make the move. Players age another year and the window starts to close (remind you of a team??)

What you may see (in my opinion) is little or no deals between teams with no chance of making the playoffs or winning the cup adding actual player assets.

53 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Idk why, but i keep having this gut feeling that Jim and co will stay pat in the next few weeks and at the deadline.  

Just get that vibe that the team still hasn't made up their mind what they want to do.  

Im sure they haven't made up their minds yet since they're still trying to squeeze into the playoffs, but come deadline time they'll know and i'm sure they have laid out plans for a few possible outcomes when the time does come.

I have no problem bringing miller back for a year, maybe two dependant on $. There is no need to rush Demko into the NHL. I hope burrows can end up with a contender to close out this season. 

I dont think there will be any kind of fire sale like some hope. 

Archived