The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jameson Bennington the Third on TSN 1040 Feb. 16th

Ossi Vaananen

15 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I don't buy it was left too late last year. Players that are pending ufa's know what's coming. They're not stupid. Talked to yet or not they know what may be coming if out of the playoff race. No team on Vrbata's list was interested as planned by Vrbata. The one team on Hamhuis' list that had any interest got the guy they wanted on deadline day. So what exactly was left too late?

Buying GM's start kicking tires weeks before the trade deadline. Kicking tires is just having several options available for crunch time and doesn't mean an actual offer is on the horizon. It's just making a list of who may be available and a ballpark cost. As it gets closer cost versus need versus available gets weighed. Last year Benning said he was getting calls weeks before the deadline but the only actual offers received were from a team Hamhuis declined to go to (Washington) and that last minute bogus offer from Dallas.

There was only one team for Benning to deal with last year and they swung their trade on deadline day. So again, what was left too late?

Burrows has already been hounded by the press about the deadline. He's completely aware of his situation. So does it matter if Benning has talked to him yet? The same goes for any pending ufa.

Actually I would think it does.  Burrows has no obligation to waive and if he only gets a few days notice - why should he?  

It's a decision that doesn't only involve him but also his family. 

32 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

You interpret this statement "It's a sellers market for sure because teams are waiting till the last minute to determine if they are buyers or sellers" as Benning saying he does not know if the Canucks will be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline? Pretty sure he would be referring to other teams with that statement.

Yup, I missread that, good catch. 

Playing his cards close to his chest - probably a better idea than telling the whole league his plans like last year.

I'd like to see Burr get traded. He had a rough few years since the Torts year but has been "real good" for us this year. It's be nice to see him leave on a high note, I think his performance indicates he was the victim of playing on an awful team for the last while and nothing more, so combine that with his experience and I think there's demand there. We may need to eat about 2mil in salary, but Columbus 2nd, Burrows and salary retention for a 1st is a deal I'd look for.

Hansen is cheap, good and experienced - there'll be plenty of callers looking to bolster their bottom 6 with him. And he's signed through next year so not just a rental. Anaheim, Columbus and Minnesota are the potential landing sites I see. Should be looking to push for a 1st by adding a few pieces from our side too.

If LA bite on Miller, they make the playoffs. We'd need to retain as much as we can, but again I feel we can milk a first. Offer Miller a big payday for another year here if he tanks them into a valuable pick ;)

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

Uhhh, this is concerning. He hasn't even talked to the players? They're going to wait until the deadline?

We're sellers. That's a given. What happens when another team starts selling before we do? When another team is more prepared than we are?

I don't want to read too much into this, but it's already sounding like last year where they left everything too late and got burned by more proactive teams. 

I'm going to set my expectations very low for this deadline. 

I think his plan is to wait until it's too late and lose Hamhuis and Vrbata for nothing. 

Oops sorry that was last year... hopefully he has a better plan for this year.

12 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I don't buy it was left too late last year. Players that are pending ufa's know what's coming. They're not stupid. Talked to yet or not they know what may be coming if out of the playoff race. No team on Vrbata's list was interested as planned by Vrbata. The one team on Hamhuis' list that had any interest got the guy they wanted on deadline day. So what exactly was left too late?

Buying GM's start kicking tires weeks before the trade deadline. Kicking tires is just having several options available for crunch time and doesn't mean an actual offer is on the horizon. It's just making a list of who may be available and a ballpark cost. As it gets closer cost versus need versus available gets weighed. Last year Benning said he was getting calls weeks before the deadline but the only actual offers received were from a team Hamhuis declined to go to (Washington) and that last minute bogus offer from Dallas.

There was only one team for Benning to deal with last year and they swung their trade on deadline day. So again, what was left too late?

Burrows has already been hounded by the press about the deadline. He's completely aware of his situation. So does it matter if Benning has talked to him yet? The same goes for any pending ufa.

There were 152 players that made it to free agency last July so apparently there must be a lot of bad GM's out there that don't have a clue when it comes to asset management.

CDC would explode if we let Backes and Brouwer walk for nothing as St. Louis did.

Just now, mll said:

Actually I would think it does.  Burrows has no obligation to waive and if he only gets a few days notice - why should he?  

It's a decision that doesn't only involve him but also his family. 

Burrows knows his status. What difference does it make if Benning talks to him two weeks before the deadline or 5 days? If you were in that position are you telling me you wouldn't think about that possibility? Two weeks or five days he still has his ntc - why should he waive either way? He's had a the same amount of time to think about it regardless of Benning actually talking to him.

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

I like how people are giving JB crud for not selling out on his players, but if you actually listen to his interview there are a bunch of teams doing the exact same thing.  Unless you know the playoffs are not a possibility, why would you turn on your players?

Because with three points games, it is virtually impossible for a team to be eliminated from playoff contention prior to the deadline. 

The question shouldn't be about whether the playoffs are possible, the question should be whether the playoffs are realistic.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Burrows knows his status. What difference does it make if Benning talks to him two weeks before the deadline or 5 days? If you were in that position are you telling me you wouldn't think about that possibility? Two weeks or five days he still has his ntc - why should he waive either way? He's had a the same amount of time to think about it regardless of Benning actually talking to him.

He told Montreal media this week that he does not want to leave Vancouver re his family.  He says if he is asked to waive he would need to sit down with them and discuss it as well as with his agent. 

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

There were 152 players that made it to free agency last July so apparently there must be a lot of bad GM's out there that don't have a clue when it comes to asset management.

CDC would explode if we let Backes and Brouwer walk for nothing as St. Louis did.

That's a question I keep asking those that complain about losing a player for nothing. Where do you think all those ufa's come from July1st? lol

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

Uhhh, this is concerning. He hasn't even talked to the players? They're going to wait until the deadline?

We're sellers. That's a given. What happens when another team starts selling before we do? When another team is more prepared than we are?

I don't want to read too much into this, but it's already sounding like last year where they left everything too late and got burned by more proactive teams. 

I'm going to set my expectations very low for this deadline

everyone should, the ED is going to bog things right down.  I know some here don't think it will, but I don't know why a team would pay a decent price for a player they have to expose, or to protect and expose a player on their current roster.  That said, UFA's should still be on the move.

Just now, Down by the River said:

Because with three points games, it is virtually impossible for a team to be eliminated from playoff contention prior to the deadline. 

The question shouldn't be about whether the playoffs are possible, the question should be whether the playoffs are realistic.

JB has already said that if the right deal pops up that makes sense for the club, he would do it.  That's being realistic.  At the same time why give up on your players, if the possibility is still there?  Not exactly wishful thinking, it's treating the players in your club with the respect they deserve.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wouldn't say the Canucks are definitely sellers at the TDL. This is the Canucks, and if there's a 0.0000001% chance of making the playoffs, they'll bring in a player to help them get there. The owners would have it no other way.

He emphasized they will be looking 4 long term help, not rentals. Linden said the same. 

He also said not allot has been happening because the playoff race is so close. There is nothing wrong with waiting until there is something to bring to a player before he asks them anything. He doesnt want it to be a distraction right now.  

So, Jim wants to wait to see what happens over the next 5 games. I know how they insist on playing the right way, but what about rebuilding the right way? What astonishing epiphany will TL and JB have over the next 5 games to lead them to believe that this team can compete for a Cup? Just because they might possibly make it to the playoffs, doesn't mean they should halt the rebuild. Focus Jimmy.

Archived