The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jameson Bennington the Third on TSN 1040 Feb. 16th

Ossi Vaananen

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  Not getting ahead of the TDL and laying the groundwork for potential trades is certainly worrisome.  I too have doubts JB does anything:(

+1 it's absolutely worrisome that WE'RE talking more about possibilities and such, than they seem to be :blink:

History repeats its self.......

reports no players have yet been approached to discuss waiving 

odds of 3.6 of getting into the playoffs but you better wait five more games........ 

Oh well atleast Jim benning  continually meets expectations of being incompetent and a disappointment. 

The Team deserves a gm that has a clue. 

10 minutes ago, Katobaron said:

Keeping those relationships with players also makes Vancouver a very attractive organization to free agents. As much as people lament the Eriksson signing, he had his pick of the litter and chose to settle in long term with a rebuilding team and no sure shot at a cup. You don't have players willing to make that sort of commitment to a team who mistreats their veterans and don't honour their end of the contract. I still remember the backlash the Leafs took for dumping Sundin and to a lesser extent the Canucks letting Naslund go. Treat your cornerstones right and you'll be rewarded!

Yeah well, we can only protect one of Hansen, Baertschi & Granlund.  Trade one, we at least get assets back to replace the other we lose. Further, put Hansen on a contender, and I highly doubt it hurts your position with future UFA's.

Find another Eriksson to replace them UFA is your argument?

But to your Naslund point, believe he was let go UFA.  And really wasn't effective when he left.  But yeah, I would have preferred he would retire here. Have the same thoughts about the Twins if being honest. 

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yeah well, we can only protect one of Hansen, Baertschi & Granlund.  Trade one, we at least get assets back to replace the other we lose. Further, put Hansen on a contender, and I highly doubt it hurts your position with future UFA's.

Find another Eriksson to replace them UFA is your argument?

But to your Naslund point, believe he was let go UFA.  And really wasn't effective when he left.  But yeah, I would have preferred he would retire here. Have the same thoughts about the Twins if being honest. 

I think it's been referred to as, The Country Club, in the past. 

Winners won't want to come here. Players looking for security and empathy sure will! 

Meant to to quote the post you did, not yours. Sorry. 

9 minutes ago, Iced Canucks said:

I'm a Benning supporter but I've thought about this, what would be the best options out there?

I don't know who, but an experienced builder with a backbone not a rookie puppet.

Now will the empty seats finally make ownership allow this, who knows. 

This team isn't going anywhere with a guy that's so indecisive and blind to just how bad HIS team is and will continue to be. 

Playing Monopoly with Jim:  "Luxury Tax..again! So uhh, like uh banker I'm getting close to 'Go', & I don'wanna forget again..so like get my munny ready..k? I need to roll 11, coz' I uhh like them light blue ones. You've got the orange & red set already, but if I get a coupla Light blue ones..maybe we can talk? I got both utilities, so this is like, real fun..."

Oh no Benning hasn't told us his game plan...what shall we do? Um, nothing. We wait. If he had told us he'd spoken to players, named them and gave out his whole game plan I'd be much more concerned. Just because he says he hasn't spoken to players about waiving doesn't mean he hasn't been talking to other teams about his playes or theirs. Just because he isn't laying it all out for the media and fans in advance doesn't mean nothing is going on and he's just sittig in his office having a coffee and a smile.

Referring to last year as a fail because he didn't hustle to make trades is sort of a falacy. No one wanted Vrbata last year, it wasn't like people were knocking on the door to take an underperforming, disinterested upcoming UFA. Hamhuis controlled his fate so he could only trade with certain teams. Dallas was never going to trade with Van unless we got totally and completely suckered in the deal. So, who else were we supposed to move last year? Trading takes two. Just saying.

This years trade deadline will be quieter than it usually is and not live up to the hype, thanks for the last few months of updates on nothing tsn. It's complicated by the expansion draft as well.

33 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

How do you not know if you are a buyer are seller? 

Why would you even hint at being a buyer after saying picks were off the table? what are you buying with?

Jordan Subban or Ben Hutton unfortunately.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Sounds like we might make some more minor moves at the TDL if something fits. Otherwise we'll probably make more major moves in the summer ahead of the ED.

So, pretty much as people should expect...

No moves at TDL imo. Would you uproot your life with a weeks notice from your boss?

Last year was no moves at TDL and overpaying for a 5th defensmen. 

Standing pat this year would at least mean the bleeding has been stopped

32 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

How do you not know if you are a buyer are seller? 

Why would you even hint at being a buyer after saying picks were off the table? what are you buying with?

You interpret this statement "It's a sellers market for sure because teams are waiting till the last minute to determine if they are buyers or sellers" as Benning saying he does not know if the Canucks will be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline? Pretty sure he would be referring to other teams with that statement.

7 minutes ago, wren223 said:

Oh no Benning hasn't told us his game plan...what shall we do? Um, nothing. We wait. If he had told us he'd spoken to players, named them and gave out his whole game plan I'd be much more concerned. Just because he says he hasn't spoken to players about waiving doesn't mean he hasn't been talking to other teams about his playes or theirs. Just because he isn't laying it all out for the media and fans in advance doesn't mean nothing is going on and he's just sittig in his office having a coffee and a smile.

Referring to last year as a fail because he didn't hustle to make trades is sort of a falacy. No one wanted Vrbata last year, it wasn't like people were knocking on the door to take an underperforming, disinterested upcoming UFA. Hamhuis controlled his fate so he could only trade with certain teams. Dallas was never going to trade with Van unless we got totally and completely suckered in the deal. So, who else were we supposed to move last year? Trading takes two. Just saying.

This years trade deadline will be quieter than it usually is and not live up to the hype, thanks for the last few months of updates on nothing tsn. It's complicated by the expansion draft as well.

spot on.

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I think it's been referred to as, The Country Club, in the past. 

Winners won't want to come here. Players looking for security and empathy sure will! 

Meant to to quote the post you did, not yours. Sorry. 

Look, I wasn't even, am still not opposed to having signed free agents like Eriksson. I would again in fact.  I'm not pro tank. But I want to make the pillars of our development drafting, developing and keeping young assets. I believe that is a higher priority. 

If that makes it harder to sign UFA's so be it.  But, TO did not seem to have trouble attracting guys.  Even with a crap team. Even with having re-launched some, bought out others.  Show the UFA's the money, and I doubt you have difficulty anyway.

You just have a better team to sell them on...

36 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Uhhh, this is concerning. He hasn't even talked to the players? They're going to wait until the deadline?

We're sellers. That's a given. What happens when another team starts selling before we do? When another team is more prepared than we are?

I don't want to read too much into this, but it's already sounding like last year where they left everything too late and got burned by more proactive teams. 

I'm going to set my expectations very low for this deadline. 

I don't buy it was left too late last year. Players that are pending ufa's know what's coming. They're not stupid. Talked to yet or not they know what may be coming if out of the playoff race. No team on Vrbata's list was interested as planned by Vrbata. The one team on Hamhuis' list that had any interest got the guy they wanted on deadline day. So what exactly was left too late?

Buying GM's start kicking tires weeks before the trade deadline. Kicking tires is just having several options available for crunch time and doesn't mean an actual offer is on the horizon. It's just making a list of who may be available and a ballpark cost. As it gets closer cost versus need versus available gets weighed. Last year Benning said he was getting calls weeks before the deadline but the only actual offers received were from a team Hamhuis declined to go to (Washington) and that last minute bogus offer from Dallas.

There was only one team for Benning to deal with last year and they swung their trade on deadline day. So again, what was left too late?

Burrows has already been hounded by the press about the deadline. He's completely aware of his situation. So does it matter if Benning has talked to him yet? The same goes for any pending ufa.

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  Not getting ahead of the TDL and laying the groundwork for potential trades is certainly worrisome.  I too have doubts JB does anything:(

What would you consider to be ahead of the TDL and laying the groundwork for potential trades? Did you miss where he said "At scouting meetings they go through all the teams, is there a fit with other teams".....would this not be a necessary part of the groundwork? He has also said "Teams are too close to playoffs so the phone lines are slow right now. Things will pick up next week" so I guess there are not a lot of conversations going on at this point. He has also said "Burrows and Hansen, No conversations with the players yet. 3 games coming up before a 5 day break, that will determine what happens". The 5 day break starts February 20th......does this not leave lots of time to deal with Burrows and Hansen?

Trading of players like Tanev, Sbisa, Baertschi, Granlund or any other players without NMC's or NTC's are not covered in here at all so we simply don't know what their plans may be for moving any of them. Conversations are not necessary for movement of any of them and I certainly would not expect Benning to tell the media what his plans are.

Why the panic?

11 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I don't buy it was left too late last year. Players that are pending ufa's know what's coming. They're not stupid. Talked to yet or not they know what may be coming if out of the playoff race. No team on Vrbata's list was interested as planned by Vrbata. The one team on Hamhuis' list that had any interest got the guy they wanted on deadline day. So what exactly was left too late?

Buying GM's start kicking tires weeks before the trade deadline. Kicking tires is just having several options available for crunch time and doesn't mean an actual offer is on the horizon. It's just making a list of who may be available and a ballpark cost. As it gets closer cost versus need versus available gets weighed. Last year Benning said he was getting calls weeks before the deadline but the only actual offers received were from a team Hamhuis declined to go to (Washington) and that last minute bogus offer from Dallas.

There was only one team for Benning to deal with last year and they swung their trade on deadline day. So again, what was left too late?

Burrows has already been hounded by the press about the deadline. He's completely aware of his situation. So does it matter if Benning has talked to him yet? The same goes for any pending ufa.

People like to spin last year's trade deadline with #AlternativeFacts & #FAKENEWS! 

Archived