The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

3 minutes ago, suitup said:

Wouldn't mind to see Dahlen play in the SHL next year as it would be a nice step up from where he is playing now. If that does happen, he'd be stronger and faster when he makes the transition to North American hockey.

Wouldn't be mad with this. Let's see what he can do in the SHL playing against better teams and better players. 1 or 2 years in the SHL, then a year in the AHL maybe. This kid is still 19 years old.

Edited by Odd.

Hope this doesn't turn into a Cody Hodgson 2.0 situation lol.  He protected his son from having to play vs top tier sweedish players.  Curious if his dad might botch any ahl hopes for this upcoming season.  That would be extremely frustrating.  I hope he goes to the A.  Maybe he could even crack our nhl lineup if he lights it up. (Or at least be on the path to the nhl with at least 1 more year of ahl exp)

8 minutes ago, suitup said:

Wouldn't mind to see Dahlen play in the SHL next year as it would be a nice step up from where he is playing now. If that does happen, he'd be stronger and faster when he makes the transition to North American hockey.

you are probably right. but im on the same page as JB.  Lets try and get him signed and over to Utica. :D

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Hope this doesn't turn into a Cody Hodgson 2.0 situation lol.  He protected his son from having to play vs top tier sweedish players.  Curious if his dad might botch any ahl hopes for this upcoming season.  That would be extremely frustrating.  I hope he goes to the A.  Maybe he could even crack our nhl lineup if he lights it up. (Or at least be on the path to the nhl with at least 1 more year of ahl exp)

I'd imagine they'll do whatever they feel is the best route to the NHL based on where he is as a player.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am curious how much minor hockey Dahlen played in NA while his father played in the NHL? Bottom line is that NA will not be a totally new experience when he comes over.  

Ulf hasn't played in the NHL for 13 - 14 years.   I would guess his son didn't play in NA at all. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Quantum said:

It won't. Ulf Dahlen is a former NHL player. He knows the game and knows what it takes to be an NHLer. I'm sure he's just looking out for his son long term. Cody Hodgson's dad was not a former NHLer and had no business making the demands he did because he didn't know what he was talking about. They're totally different situations.

A year in the SHL vs AHL is really the debate here. Personally, Id rather have him in the AHL so he can start building chemistry with the other young guns but a year in the SHL isn't bad either. 

Again, not worried about Dahlen.

very good points!

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Quantum said:

It won't. Ulf Dahlen is a former NHL player. He knows the game and knows what it takes to be an NHLer. I'm sure he's just looking out for his son long term. Cody Hodgson's dad was not a former NHLer and had no business making the demands he did because he didn't know what he was talking about. They're totally different situations.

A year in the SHL vs AHL is really the debate here. Personally, Id rather have him in the AHL so he can start building chemistry with the other young guns but a year in the SHL isn't bad either. 

Again, not worried about Dahlen.

SHL is arguably more of a skilled league which would hardly be horrible. AHL gets him adjusting more to N.A. game and building chemistry with future line mates. Neither is a bad option.

• Upvote 1

One thing to consider is whether Utica has room for him.  

Boeser will most likely be in the AHL, Virtanen could potentially be spending another stint down there too, a few AHLer/journeymans, guys graduating from the CHL/ECHL, some college prospects, etc.  

Yet at the same time, SHL doesn't always reward on merit and sometimes have ice-time based on seniority (as we saw with Jensen).  

28 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

very good points!

7 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Boeser will most likely be in the AHL, Virtanen could potentially be spending another stint down there too, a few AHLer/journeymans, guys graduating from the CHL/ECHL, some college prospects, etc.  

Yet at the same time, SHL doesn't always reward on merit and sometimes have ice-time based on seniority (as we saw with Jensen).  

Did Willie matriculate in Sweden?  

• Upvote 1

Good points being brought up for the various options.  Not that I think they are on the same level skill-wise,  but I wonder if Dahlens development can,  loosely,  be compared to Nylanders development with the Marlies/Leafs organizations?  Nylander spent parts of 2 years in the SEL and parts of 2 years with the Marlies/Leafs before being a full time NHL regular. The kid looks like his development definitely benefitted him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Utica has room for that shot.

Boeser will not be playing in the AHL....Canucks need that shot

Virtanenbomb....my hunch is...Jake has finally got what he needs to do to make it to the NHL, it's a crapshoot on whether or not he remembers all summer, trains hard and comes back in the fall one year older and ready to go...I say he pulls through...just a hunch at this point...

52 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Good points being brought up for the various options.  Not that I think they are on the same level skill-wise,  but I wonder if Dahlens development can,  loosely,  be compared to Nylanders development with the Marlies/Leafs organizations?  Nylander spent parts of 2 years in the SEL and parts of 2 years with the Marlies/Leafs before being a full time NHL regular. The kid looks like his development definitely benefitted him. 

There may be some very loose parallels,  but Nylander was 17years old and played in Swedens highest league with good stats, while Dahlen is already 19 and has never played at Swedens highest level yet.

8 hours ago, Fanuck said:

What I was thinking as well. 

7 hours ago, PlanB said:

There may be some very loose parallels,  but Nylander was 17years old and played in Swedens highest league with good stats, while Dahlen is already 19 and has never played at Swedens highest level yet.

It's not relative to what the player has achieved thus far, but rather the developmental progression.

Utica makes sense for a couple of reasons. 

1. Its his fastest rout to playing in the NHL 

2. At 19 its time for him to get used to the smaller rink and tougher north american style of game. 

3. If Green is still the coach next season he will teach him a system that is transferrable to the Canucks style of play. 

9 hours ago, PlanB said:

Timrå were supposed to be/become a top league team when he came there in 2014. Players on a contract are not "called up" to the SEL unless they have been loaned from there to the other team.