The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

9 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Just look at Filip Forsberg, he spent some time in the A and is pretty decent now for the Preds 

Forsberg got his first NHL games in his draft +1 year and made the league full time in his +3 year.  That said, there are some statistical similarities between the two players in their draft and draft +1 years.  I'm pretty keen on Dalen.  I think he'll need most of this season to adjust but we'll likely see him in the NHL this year or next at some point.

• Like 1

From what I'm seeing Dahlen is developing nicely in the AHL. Could be good signs for next year. He certainly didn't look ready this year, but maybe a year of grooming will be what he needs. I wouldn't be against having him in Utica for 2019-20 to dominate the league if he's good enough (assuming he still isn't quite ready for the NHL).

19 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Regardless if he needs more time bring him up for a couple of games so he can see if he needs time. Sometimes players need candy instead of the whip. Play a couple of games and you will see where he is at.

he's not that far up the totem pole yet

3 hours ago, stawns said:

he's not that far up the totem pole yet

Let's keep in mind there aren't many players that bring what he brings that we can call up. It would definitely be a mistake to bring him up now but near the end of the year I could see it happening .

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Let's keep in mind there aren't many players that bring what he brings that we can call up. It would definitely be a mistake to bring him up now but near the end of the year I could see it happening .

I would also like to see him called up towards the end of the season and perhaps playing in the last 8 - 10  games esp. if we are out of the playoffs at that time. Even if the team by good fortune makes the playoffs, I can still see them bringing him up as a depth player and having him practice with the team so he has a better understanding on what he needs to work on in the off season to improve his game.

22 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I would also like to see him called up towards the end of the season and perhaps playing in the last 8 - 10  games esp. if we are out of the playoffs at that time. Even if the team by good fortune makes the playoffs, I can still see them bringing him up as a depth player and having him practice with the team so he has a better understanding on what he needs to work on in the off season to improve his game.

Ya, see how the season unfolds. I truly believe he will hit his stride and start taking control of games a bit more. Needs that confidence to get rolling.

19 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I was thinking he stay in Utica all year and pave the way for EP to join Utica for the playoffs.  

2 hours ago, TGT68 said:

I was thinking he stay in Utica all year and pave the way for EP to join Utica for the playoffs.  

I don’t see EP ever joining Utica, risk of injury isn’t good also I see as soon as his season ends that kids is so driven his training will probably start that kid looks like the type to bust his A$& to get better. 

7 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I don’t see EP ever joining Utica, risk of injury isn’t good also I see as soon as his season ends that kids is so driven his training will probably start that kid looks like the type to bust his A$& to get better. 

You want him to play for us or for Sweden? Cause he ain't going to summer training until after the world championships.  

I think it's been very clear that although there's a few Canucks that can play with EP and bring some talent to the table that works with him nobody is on his level.

I think the same could be true for Dahlen in Utica and possibly why his production there isn' tas high as we'd like ot fo be. I haven't seen Dahlen play lately but from what I'd seen in the past he does have some of the over the top skills that EP possesses. Right now I assume they're teaching him like they did with Goldobin and Virtanen to do some of the little things better so he doesn't hurt the team on the defensive side and so they can give him a chance soon see what they can do together and I'd love to see that.

Obviously there's a huge benefit of they're paired together and they have that chemistry we all know EP needs to play at his highest level but there's also some great fallout if that happened also.

Personally I'd like to see a Horvat, Boeser and Baertschi reunion when healthy and a Pettersson, Dahlen with MacEwen, Virtanen or even Rousell line in the future because I feel like also having a big strong body with skill could really pay dividends on the boards, net front making space and as protection against the extracurricular physicality teams would surely use to stop their skill.

Seems like the team is reluctant to bring in some kids and I understand their reasoning to a point but really I'm not sure why they can't get at least a small taste at the right time and see what they've got and at worse show them what they need to go back down to work on. It's not like the guys they'd be replacing are doing a whole lot to help the team anyway and in Goldobin and Leipsic they're both turning the puck over more than any coach would like to see but are still given the chance over and over again.

If I'm Green after this roadtrip or not too long from now I try MacEwen, Dahlen, Guance and Sautner/Chatfield/Brisbois and sit Pouliot, Archibald and Schaller 3 guys not bringing enough to the team and possibly Goldobin and Leipsic at some point as well. 

I personally think at this point it's better to address the clearly weaker links on the team and see if those spots could be improved now or in the future with some very capable young players in Utica who could very well come in and make a strong positive impact immediately and also have these players like Archibald, Schaller, Pouliot, MDZ, Leipsic and Goldobin doing all they can to earn a spot on the team.

Anyway I feel like moving some Utica players in could give the team some much needed life and really see no reason to at least try a few kids out and if things worked out like I think they would I could really see MacEwen, Dahlen and Chatfield, Brisbois or Sautner getting this team to another level!

Edited by The Big Luongo
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Big Luongo said:

Seems like the team is reluctant to bring in some kids...

What? The Canucks just got voted as having one of the best cores under 24 and 3 of those players are already on the big team. In addition, there are other young guys on the team.

No, I think the team does not want to rush young players (like they have done before) such as Dahlen. Posters that actually watch Dahlen in the A say he started playing well recently but needs more games at that level to really get his game.

So no, the team is not reluctant to use young guys. Go ask Gagner!! :mellow:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 3

I think the Canucks will let Dahlen mature in the minors for as long as he is waiver exempt or "breaks down the doors" to join the NHL roster.  It's good to see Dahlen's progress.

Giving Dahlen more time will give the Canucks more time to decide what to do with Goldobin.  While there's no guarantee that Dahlen would be competing directly with Goldobin, I presume Dahlen is the natural player to be next-in-line positionally after Goldobin.  Goldobin's a RFA next summer so the Canucks aren't in danger of losing his rights for at least another year but he'll have to solidify his position on the roster in that time frame since he already requires waivers.

I can't recall when Dahlen loses his waiver exemption but my guess is that so long as Dahlen is waiver exempt, Goldobin is a bit "safe" but he's got to solidify his spot on the team not only by showcasing his skill with Pettersson but with producing and playing both ends well.  If not, I can see the Canucks moving on from Goldobin.

• Upvote 3

On 11/14/2018 at 4:36 PM, TGT68 said:

I'm not convinced that AHL playoffs experience will benefit EP much. 

EP will need as much of the summer for resting and training.