The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

When was the last time the Canucks had a prospect that wasn't an automaton? 

Dont get me wrong, I love "good Canadian farm boys" (Linden, Bo) but you need some swagger too (Bure.)

I feel the NHL sometimes mistakes professionalism with boring. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Goldy it is! 

its_official.jpg

17 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I gotta say, the kid has got some style. He's got that clean undercut and rocking them Yeezys. 

I find it a little douchey, tbh. Whatever about the shoes (way overrated) but those pants... :wacko:

But that does seem to be a bit of a style with young Euros, Russians in particular, and it doesn't mean he is. Lets see what he does with a suit.

Edited by elvis15

13 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

But that does seem to be a bit of a style with young Euros, Russians in particular, and it doesn't mean he is. Lets see what he does with a suit.

Apparently he's a big suit guy. I have a hunch he's gonna show up to tonight's game looking like George Stromboulopoulos though. 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Apparently he's a big suit guy. I have a hunch he's gonna show up to tonight's game looking like George Stromboulopoulos though. 

Went and googled it, here you go:

tumblr_nv9idieG0b1sktvtro1_500.jpg

Not a big fan of those royal suits that are the trend the last few years. But hey, whatever he wears makes no difference to me as long as he puts the effort in on the ice. He has the talent, it's questions about his consistency and work ethic in all areas that will make or break him as an NHL'er.

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Not a big fan of those royal suits that are the trend the last few years. But hey, whatever he wears makes no difference to me as long as he puts the effort in on the ice. He has the talent, it's questions about his consistency and work ethic in all areas that will make or break him as an NHL'er.

Could be much worse. 

As for the latter part of your post- absolutely. I'd rather not see an Alex Mogilny who's going to float around 60% of the time, even if it means he puts up points. If could turn into a Baer level competitor and two-way player I'd be happy. 

17 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

The ceiling is high for this kid and hopefully he can develop a solid game. He should get a chance to get some limited time with the Canucks in the rest of this season and then some real development for 2 years or so in the AHL to make him more of a solid 200 ft player. 

Kid is going to be with the roster from here on out.  He's served his dues in the AHL and is ready to graduate.  

I'd be surprised if he found himself back in the minors again, with the exception of if Utica makes the playoffs this year.

• Upvote 1

Also for what it's worth, I can pretty confidently say the effort concerns are a thing of the past.   Ever since he turned pro and wasn't over-skilled for the level he was playing in he has shown a much higher compete level, and the results clearly speak for themselves.

The kid is no Bo, but he's not a floater anymore by any means.  He works hard along the boards and will battle for loose pucks and is much more active when playing away from the puck than he used to be.

His defensive work remains his biggest issue, but that is largely in-part due to strength and just not having the best defensive positioning awareness.  I think both of those issues will continue to improve greatly over the course of the next few years however.

I really see no reason this kid shouldn't be at least a solid 2nd line player in the league.  He has the offensive talent to be even better than that.  He's the player I was hoping we would get when I heard Hansen was going to SJ, and I truly believe this is the best trade Benning has made at GM.

Edited by Jägermeister
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Could be much worse. 

As for the latter part of your post- absolutely. I'd rather not see an Alex Mogilny who's going to float around 60% of the time, even if it means he puts up points. If could turn into a Baer level competitor and two-way player I'd be happy. 

I'd gladly take a player who floats 60% of the time if he puts up 1032 points in 990 career games. We have plenty of workhorses, we need some point producers soon.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-03-01 at 9:57 AM, Beary Sweet said:

Welcome, Nikolay! He has the potential to be a great player in the future. great to see that he will play against his former team. I've heard nothing but great things about this young kid. I like the fact that he has a solid 2 way game, a great playmaker, and an eye for goal. believe he will be a consistent goal scorer for us and will rack up points on a nightly basis for us one day. he's been making it happen in the A and its only a matter of time he will break out in the NHL. funny that I traded him in fantasy league I'm in for Leafs prospect Gauthier. think it's an even trade but might be regretting it soon lol. elated to have this kid in our team now and down the road, Sharks will end up regretting giving him up. he also has great vision and knows where his teammates are always, makes his passes so easy like Juolevi where he makes his teammates and not just him better. excited!

At the moment this is in question, along with character to show up game in and game out. Hopefully this kid is hungry and willing to learn the pro game. He seems to be making positive strides since he was drafted. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

fits right in with another Euro. Just kidding suit looks good on him - he has some confidence.

swag.jpg

16 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

I like the flare. Roll with it.

let Bo, Stech, Tanev be the Steak, Goldy, Dahlen, and Boeser be the sizzle. 

Juolevi = steak

Stech is the sizzle man, he'll become a major point producer once our powerplay unit is tighter and more skilled. He's playing a safer game as a rookie, but I look for him to become a big source of offensive production in the future.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BabychStache said:

When was the last time the Canucks had a prospect that wasn't an automaton? 

Dont get me wrong, I love "good Canadian farm boys" (Linden, Bo) but you need some swagger too (Bure.)

I feel the NHL sometimes mistakes professionalism with boring. 

Agree completely.   One of the perks of our current roster, even after losing Hansen and Burr, is you can bring in a kid and know he's going to be surrounded by good role models.  

Also, if Goldobin is under Larionov's wing I'm even more confident he'll keep his head on straight.

The extra style/swagger/fun he brings will be a breath of fresh air.