The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exposing Biega as a forward?!

Ossi Vaananen

49 minutes ago, JamesB said:

But the Canucks might have to overpay to sign a couple of these guys and whoever they sign is unlikely to be chosen by LV, so the Canucks will be stuck with the contract.

This seems like a "detail" that Benning should have figured out and resolved long before now.

44 minutes ago, lmm said:

I AGREE with this completely.

Should have picked up a depth forward in one of his deadline deals.

Might find this hard to believe, but not only did Benning and the Canucks know all the rules before any of us, they have been working out the expansion draft for all that time as well.  Believe it or not, they are not just suddenly scrambling around, "Oh, there's expansion?  Should we start looking into it?  Maybe we should check out CDC for advice, they seem to be in the know..."

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I wish they would just expose Edler.

The thought of him leading the young defense to think that always trying the risky play makes me cringe. Also if your longest serving D-man is slow and makes it easy for the opposition to play around the blue paint... well that sets a very poor precident for newcomers on defense. 

The sooner Edler is gone, the better. 

There are much better options than a career - player, who points up 20 points/season and plays a weak game at 5m/year. As soon as Hamhuis/Salo weren't here and Tanev didn't shelter his glaring defensive flaws, he's been exposed bad.

18 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Might find this hard to believe, but not only did Benning and the Canucks know all the rules before any of us, they have been working out the expansion draft for all that time as well.  Believe it or not, they are not just suddenly scrambling around, "Oh, there's expansion?  Should we start looking into it?  Maybe we should check out CDC for advice, they seem to be in the know..."

Don't they do that before making all decisions to ensure CDC will be on-side? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Vegas will be granted a 48-hour window prior to the draft to sign any pending free agent (RFA or UFA, one per team) that was left unprotected. If a team loses a player to Vegas during this signing window they will not have a player selected from their roster during this draft.

Would that be an offer sheet for Gaunce then?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Tryamkin now practicing as net front on the PP?  :o

C'mon Alf, you know they only come here to get confirmation of their own ideas.....not to solicit new ideas.

You may be right that they should try that but they would need to totally revamp the way they run the power play. Phil Esposito wouldn't score on our power play because the puck is never directed to the net. I believe that is the main reason Eriksson has been ineffective this year. He historically has scored most of his goals as a net front presence and that just simply does not work with this team.

Just now, Rick Blight said:

C'mon Alf, you know they only come here to get confirmation of their own ideas.....not to solicit new ideas.

You may be right that they should try that but they would need to totally revamp the way they run the power play. Phil Esposito wouldn't score on our power play because the puck is never directed to the net. I believe that is the main reason Eriksson has been ineffective this year. He historically has scored most of his goals as a net front presence and that just simply does not work with this team.

Esposito was great: "Slot Machine".  Alf didn't boo in '72.  :)

4 hours ago, 70seven said:

I'm curious if the Canucks have a deal in place with vegas to take Biega for a pick. 

Vegas will likely want to take other dmen, which they can only take so many, so the Canucks are finding a loophole to expose biega as a forward. 

Theyd keep sbisa, and possibly look at trading a dman.

thats my hypothesis 

I'm trying to find any silver lining on having him exposed as a forward, and some sort of deal to have Biega be the one selected without hampering Vegas' ability to select other D-men is about the only thing I could even fathom. Exposing him as forward instead of defence on its own certainly doesn't help us protect someone we otherwise wanted to (i.e. Gaunce or Sbisa) since we're already set to use all our spots.

EDIT: I see people talking about not having two forwards signed that meet the requirements. Dorsett has played 70 games in the last two years, but someone will have to show where being on LTI to end the year excludes him from meeting those requirements. Obviously if the injury is bad enough to force him to retire, that'd take him out of the running, but I haven't really heard anything to suggest that. In fact last we heard was in December where he was focused on being fully healthy for the start of next season.

Even without Dorsett we're certain to sign Gaunce, and Boucher (only needs 4 more games to make the requirement) makes sense as well. If for some reason we didn't want to sign one or both of them, we could sign Chaput or someone just for the expansion draft. Utica will still need players next year so we could sign someone to have as depth and be able to send down. If someone like Chaput gets claimed, it's not a significant loss.

The suggestion that we'd be forced to protect less than 7 forwards would be a huge mistake if management let it get to that point.

3 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

Would that be an offer sheet for Gaunce then?

I honestly don't know what it would be called but I don't think it would be an offer sheet. My understanding is Vegas can sit down and talk contract with any UFA's/RFA's and potentially agree to a contract, sign it and file it with the NHL as a finalized contract. IE: no going back to the original team to see if they would match the offer. I can't find anything that confirms this process in plain English though.

Just now, Rick Blight said:

I honestly don't know what it would be called but I don't think it would be an offer sheet. My understanding is Vegas can sit down and talk contract with any UFA's/RFA's and potentially agree to a contract, sign it and file it with the NHL as a finalized contract. IE: no going back to the original team to see if they would match the offer. I can't find anything that confirms this process in plain English though.

JB: We'll give you 10% more than whatever they're offering. Don't tell the league we had this meeting.

BG: Deal.

Problem solved.

2 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Because you don't expose a #2 or 3 puck moving d man that can munch 24 minutes a night for nothing in return. Edler actually has trade value. Surely enough to get a 2nd round pick or prospect at the deadline. 

As I said, if you can trade him, fine.  If not, expose him.  He is in moderately steep decline and that will only get worse going fwd.  Sbisa is a comparable player atm, is just coming I to his prime and is cheaper.  You can use elders cap space to lock up RFA

Just now, EagleShield said:

JB: We'll give you 10% more than whatever they're offering. Don't tell the league we had this meeting.

BG: Deal.

Problem solved.

That's where we risk this though....

The NHL's deputy commissioner, Bill Daly, said that teams that do not follow the expansion draft rules would face penalties, including possibly the "loss of draft picks and/or players."[8]

55 minutes ago, Visp said:

I would disagree. Much rather Sbisa (as well as his contract) then Edler (and his contract)... younger too.

Edler will be useful to shelter our young defensemen and take some of the heat from the media.  Anyone else we have on the left side would be eaten alive on the top pairing.  We'll still be able to move Edler once he's a rental.  Exposing Sbisa hurts but it's the right move.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Actually...it's not a bad idea if  they can pull it off.  It would still leave Sbisa exposed on the back end but almost ensure our forwards were expansion free.

Yup I like it.

Biega is a guy who has worked his arse off to get up here. He's a total team guy. Going forward his time will be limited here so if he gets a chance to be a regular in Las Vagas, I'm happy for him.

#BULLDOGFTW 

47 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Vegas has a window to negotiate with pending free agents and anyone they sign would count to the expansion draft pick from that team.

Archived