The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver-Dallas

Dallas gets___Markstrom, Hutton

Vancouver gets____Lehtonen, Roope Hintz and Dallas 1st 2017, Dallas 5th 2018

Before the entry draft and after the expansion draft.

Why Dallas does this. Dallas will be looking to rebound next year with a new goalie. Markstrom can be that guy. Dallas would want more so we put so we throw in Hutton in order to sweeten the deal and get us a good prospect and the 1st. Dallas dumps cap from Lehtonen and gets a couple good pieces.

Why Vancouver does this. First of all the Canucks resign Miller for 2 years and then run Lehtonen and him together. Demko's play this year has shown he may be able to make the jump sooner rather then later. At least one more year in Utica but then he might be ready. Vancouver gets a good prospect  that can play in Utica next year and Dallas's first which we can use in the top 10 this year for either a guy like Makar, Rasmussen or Mittlestadt.

The only question will be is whether Dallas think Markstrom is ready for a number one role.

ZERO interest in Markstrom from Dallas' point of view. What exactly has he proved? He's gotten better and he's a good backup but as a starting goalie we'll see.

Dallas is a rebuilding team. They're not trading their first round pick. Maybe they make Jamie Benn available so they can build the team around Seguin, but that's as far as that goes. 

59 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

ZERO interest in Markstrom from Dallas' point of view. What exactly has he proved? He's gotten better and he's a good backup but as a starting goalie we'll see.

Dallas is a rebuilding team. They're not trading their first round pick. Maybe they make Jamie Benn available so they can build the team around Seguin, but that's as far as that goes. 

Rebuilding? Lol.

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Rebuilding? Lol.

They are.

Mike Heika had an article up last week that even had the word rebuild in the title.  He wrote about how they have been trying to transition to a younger future core while trying to win now.  It's turned into a bit of a mess and now they have to take responsibility and find a way to fix it.   They are in the prime of Seguin and Benn but the transition on D hasn't exactly gone as planned.  They moved D-vets out to give their spots to younger Ds and now they need to find a way to fix their defensive structure.  Goaltending is the other issue.

Markstrom is too unproven for Dallas to have interest.  I could see them trying to target Darling who is UFA and is one that many believe could become a starter, unless they prefer to go with a proven name like Fleury or maybe even Bishop.  These two have struggled at times though - probably the irregularity of their schedule by no longer being the established starter.  

As on D - they probably don't have interest in Hutton.  Nill claimed a year back that they have one of the best upcoming Ds in the league with Honka, Lindell, Klingberg, Nemeth etc.  They have faced some trouble developing their young Ds this season - too many in and out of the lineup to find consistency.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

They are.

Mike Heika had an article up last week that even had the word rebuild in the title.  He wrote about how they have been trying to transition to a younger future core while trying to win now.  It's turned into a bit of a mess and now they have to take responsibility and find a way to fix it.   They are in the prime of Seguin and Benn but the transition on D hasn't exactly gone as planned.  They moved D-vets out to give their spots to younger Ds and now they need to find a way to fix their defensive structure.  Goaltending is the other issue.

Markstrom is too unproven for Dallas to have interest.  I could see them trying to target Darling who is UFA and is one that many believe could become a starter, unless they prefer to go with a proven name like Fleury or maybe even Bishop.  These two have struggled at times though - probably the irregularity of their schedule by no longer being the established starter.  

As on D - they probably don't have interest in Hutton.  Nill claimed a year back that they have one of the best upcoming Ds in the league with Honka, Lindell, Klingberg, Nemeth etc.  They have faced some trouble developing their young Ds this season - too many in and out of the lineup to find consistency.  

They are just skipping a beat on D & brutal in goal. Nothing more, and not a rebuild required to correct.

It was that get the puck, and get it up ice last year, perhaps from Goligoski, that's missing? That made them one of the leagues most potent offensive forces last year.  Thats the skip. But they would be dumb to blow it up in my opinion.  They still have all kinds of skill up front.

On D? Lindell & Johns look very good to me for young players! They will solidify the defensive side pretty quickly is my estimation. Oleksiak is also very serviceable. And simply intimidating. A guy who can brutalize anyone to clear the crease! Heatherington is close too. Great AHL numbers for a defensive D? Lots of good young blueliners on the cusp.  So why panic? Plus Honka is the real key. Another weapon with the puck besides Kilingburg. And more importantly, a guy who can spring the attack, launching forays up ice.  He can be Goligoski's replacement, maybe even be more dynamic than ever?

They should have $10 or $12 mill to sign a goalie & a forward to replace Hudler. Gurianov will slot in for Sharp who they let walk. Younger, faster, just as slick & bigger. Give him and Honka a year & people will be talking about them IMO. Which makes them Bishop away from being very dangerous again? I repeat, why panic...

And to the poster one or three above you, how do you look any player, or their agent, straight in the eye if you trade Jamie Benn before his NTC kicks in? 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

They are just skipping a beat on D & brutal in goal. Nothing more, and not a rebuild required to correct.

It was that get the puck, and get it up ice last year, perhaps from Goligoski, that's missing? That made them one of the leagues most potent offensive forces last year.  Thats the skip. But they would be dumb to blow it up in my opinion.  They still have all kinds of skill up front.

On D? Lindell & Johns look very good to me for young players! They will solidify the defensive side pretty quickly is my estimation. Oleksiak is also very serviceable. And simply intimidating. A guy who can brutalize anyone to clear the crease! Heatherington is close too. Great AHL numbers for a defensive D? Lots of good young blueliners on the cusp.  So why panic? Plus Honka is the real key. Another weapon with the puck besides Kilingburg. And more importantly, a guy who can spring the attack, launching forays up ice.  He can be Goligoski's replacement, maybe even be more dynamic than ever?

They should have $10 or $12 mill to sign a goalie & a forward to replace Hudler. Gurianov will slot in for Sharp who they let walk. Younger, faster, just as slick & bigger. Give him and Honka a year & people will be talking about them IMO. Which makes them Bishop away from being very dangerous again? I repeat, why panic...

And to the poster one or three above you, how do you look any player, or their agent, straight in the eye if you trade Jamie Benn before his NTC kicks in? 

They are not trying to blow it up - more they are trying to consolidate their D (still inexperienced and at times inconsistent) and add younger players.

They lost Demers last off-season.   Here's Heika's take:  

7 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Benn available?? I highly doubt that. But if he was made available we need to get him.

Dallas isn't rebuilding. They were missing up to 7 of their top-9 forwards to injury at times. Benn played hurt a lot of the year. And, as mentioned, they were bringing in a lot of young D at the time, so not having the support of their strong veteran forwards made it extra difficult.

If Vancouver can't re-sign Miller for 1 season - and 1 season only - then they could use a veteran stop-gap with 1 year left on his deal to platoon with Markstrom until Demko is ready. Dallas desperately needs to unload a goalie so they can go after a UFA or trade for MAF. So why not offer to take one of their goalies off their hands? With a sweetener, of course.

To Vancouver: Lehtonen/Niemi, 2017 2nd round pick

To Dallas: Whatever (depth forward/prospect)

Do you think Miller is taking a discount? I don't think our MVP is taking a discount. Your proposing we spend 12m on goalies I guess it's not my money but if it were I would think you were nuts.

I also think Dallas declines they have no interest in giving up their 1st just to shed a season of lethonen. 

10 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think the fly in the ointment is we'll have too much $$ tied up in goalies and not be able to extend some of our depth guys, and maybe even Guddy.

I think separate deals for these guys would yield better picks potentially as well. I'd rather see us sign a solid backup for Marky and leave some cap space for TDL deals for picks for 2018.

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Dallas isn't rebuilding. They were missing up to 7 of their top-9 forwards to injury at times. Benn played hurt a lot of the year. And, as mentioned, they were bringing in a lot of young D at the time, so not having the support of their strong veteran forwards made it extra difficult.

If Vancouver can't re-sign Miller for 1 season - and 1 season only - then they could use a veteran stop-gap with 1 year left on his deal to platoon with Markstrom until Demko is ready. Dallas desperately needs to unload a goalie so they can go after a UFA or trade for MAF. So why not offer to take one of their goalies off their hands? With a sweetener, of course.

To Vancouver: Lehtonen/Niemi, 2017 2nd round pick

To Dallas: Whatever (depth forward/prospect)

Dallas would do that.

And yes, they are rebuilding. They're picking in the top 10 this year. How is that not rebuilding? They're at least retooling. Plus they traded players for picks at the deadline lol 

9 hours ago, mll said:

They are not trying to blow it up - more they are trying to consolidate their D (still inexperienced and at times inconsistent) and add younger players.

They lost Demers last off-season.   Here's Heika's take:  

Mike Heika is not the brightest journo around. Well informed or understanding hockey at the least anyway.  Dallas has most components of a good team.  Powerhouse strengths in some area's capable of being a great team in fact. If they can fix some deficiencies. Get healthy.

They do not need a rebuild. My opinion anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Should we try Loui and Sbisa instead for Neimi, Nish and 2017 2nd.

Dallas needs some sort of defense to help out with their offense because if you can't defend you can't contend.

This allows the canucks to not lose anything significant in Expansion Draft(Asset Management crowd will be happy).

Helps fill the goalie void if Miller leaves and helps us with getting younger.

After Next season Sbisa and Neimi are both free agents so there some cap relief

On 2017-03-22 at 11:28 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Before the entry draft and after the expansion draft.

Why Dallas does this. Dallas will be looking to rebound next year with a new goalie. Markstrom can be that guy. Dallas would want more so we put so we throw in Hutton in order to sweeten the deal and get us a good prospect and the 1st. Dallas dumps cap from Lehtonen and gets a couple good pieces.

Why Vancouver does this. First of all the Canucks resign Miller for 2 years and then run Lehtonen and him together. Demko's play this year has shown he may be able to make the jump sooner rather then later. At least one more year in Utica but then he might be ready. Vancouver gets a good prospect  that can play in Utica next year and Dallas's first which we can use in the top 10 this year for either a guy like Makar, Rasmussen or Mittlestadt.

The only question will be is whether Dallas think Markstrom is ready for a number one role.

I like this trade.

I was hoping Markstrom and a 2nd might do it. I think Dallas requires Nucks  to take one of their goalies back. Although both have NTC there is the expansion draft threat. I think a year with Niemi/Miller will probably secure the Nucks another high draft pick in 2018!

I like Hutton and would hope he remains a Nuck, and I think with 2 lottery picks JB could get the centre and defenseman he covets.

I also think another team looking for immediate credibility is Arizona.

They absolutely have to draw more interest for a new arena or to improve their exiting situation.

They made need a replacement for Smith, but I guess there are a lot of free agents goalies also.

They might be interested in RHD like Tanev to play with OEL?

Both Tanev and Markstrom would hurt to lose and maybe the Nucks lose Sbisa to expansion so then 2 top 6 are needed to replace them.

I guess Guddy back and OJ in could work?

I think with our depth at goal Markstrom becomes a tradable asset. Miller could come back on a two year deal.

Could you imagine:

Dallas: Markstrom, 2nd (Columbus)

Vancouver: 2017 1st, Niemi and rights to Nishushkin (too much?)

Arizona: Tanev, 2nd

Vancouver: 2017 1st

draft 3 of first 10 picks. 

I know it isn't a huge draft but what an exciting day that would be!

Edler Stretcher

Tryamkin Guddy

OJ Biega/Subban

Pedan ??

(if Sbisa not taken in ED then not so thin!)

On 2017-03-22 at 11:28 PM, RetroCanuck said:

In what world do we get.

A top 15 draft pick.

a 5th round draft pick

arguably Dallas best Center Prospect.

and a throw away contract

For
Ben Hutton

and Markstrom....

Take away the 1st and Dallas still might say No.

If Dallas is doing this to get a Goalie they are not going to roll the Dice.

They are going to go after someone with experince and can hold down the Number 1 role

Archived