The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Team Toughness

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Really makes you wonder if coaching and management dropped the ball on Tryamkin.

Wow, what crappy news for our club. 

They completely did with their idiotic "Re-tool" BS. Willie was told to compete for playoffs, so he did the best he could. Which meant limiting the exposure of the prospects. 

The entire group of Retools need to apologize for losing a fan favorite, promising prospect, and a big part of the future of the team due to their ineptitude. 

Get the coach right you bunch of maroons. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hmmm, not sure.  Just because someone's "big", doesn't mean they're tough.  I actually thought he seemed somewhat apprehensive when engaging in scrums.  Not sure it was his deal.  I mean, a guy who apologizes and is outwardly upset over being penalized?  

I had hopes that he'd develop a snarl/edge, but there's nothing guaranteeing that.  Mind you, just having a guy of that stature in the line up can be a deterrent, but if he wasn't willing to use his size then the word would get out on that.  We just didn't get a chance to find out.

Tryamkin was more friendly giant than anything, which was sad because when he decided to play mean and tough he was unstoppable, for all of that single 30 seconds to 1 minute shift, then he would go right back to friendly giant again.

7 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

Half of this team's toughness just left for Russia.

His 2.2 hits per game is about what Gudbranson averages, soooo, yah. With a full year of Dorsett and Quads we will be fine.

Edited by R35Godz1lla
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Googlie said:

Reading all these knocks against our non-fighting Euros led me to google the following:

Joe Sakic's greatest fights - just 1 in his career

Steve Yzerman's greatest fights - just 1 in his career

I don't think their teams suffered due to these good BC boys' lack of "toughness "

Toughness doesn't necessarily mean you drop the gloves at any given moment.  It's grit and mental fortitude.  Play in the rough and tough areas of the ice win the puck at any cost to YOU.  Go to the front of the net and take the abuse the defense will throw at you. I mean it's not like the league not too long ago when almost anything went to clear the front of the net.  WIN the puck along the boards don't wait for someone to do it for you.  Players like the 2 you mentioned benefited greatly from open ice created by team toughness.  Hesitate a fraction of a second cuz the guy chasing the puck into the corner plays the game physically hard and before you know it he sends it to Yzerman and its in your net. Canadian hockey was always built on mental and physical toughness. 

• Upvote 1

Benning has his work cut out for him this off season. While I'm hopeful that Hischier will become a Canuck and join a promising young core, there is a definite need to add a physical element to a forward corps that has been given an infusion of youth and speed already.

As well, sadly, there is a very large hole in the defense that needs to be filled. I don't envy Trader Jim this offseason, as coming back with essentially the same team, minus Miller and Tryamkin, will spell trouble for an already beleaguered season ticket base.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

Don't worry 

The Sedin-style leadership will see this team through its lack of physicality. :P

(If not, our 13th forward and number 5 Dman will try to get on the ice to retaliate and seek retribution on systems that recognize and exploit this small, young team)

Slim-Jim has their work cut out for them now. And that wonderful young D fallacy looks even more ridiculous today, but, silver-linings, I look forward to drafting Dahlin in 2018. 

On 4/20/2017 at 11:27 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Hmmm, not sure.  Just because someone's "big", doesn't mean they're tough.  I actually thought he seemed somewhat apprehensive when engaging in scrums.  Not sure it was his deal.  I mean, a guy who apologizes and is outwardly upset over being penalized?  

I had hopes that he'd develop a snarl/edge, but there's nothing guaranteeing that.  Mind you, just having a guy of that stature in the line up can be a deterrent, but if he wasn't willing to use his size then the word would get out on that.  We just didn't get a chance to find out.

A couple of things mentioned the Tryamkin thread from interviews was he didn't like fighting and he couldn't understand why guys would come after him for throwing a legal hit. I'd say snarl isn't really in his game and it's why he'd rather not play as physical as management would like him to. He's young though and maybe he'll get that edge with age and experience. But if he's really worried about having to fight he may never develop that edge.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning has his work cut out for him this off season. While I'm hopeful that Hischier will become a Canuck and join a promising young core, there is a definite need to add a physical element to a forward corps that has been given an infusion of youth and speed already.

As well, sadly, there is a very large hole in the defense that needs to be filled. I don't envy Trader Jim this offseason, as coming back with essentially the same team, minus Miller and Tryamkin, will spell trouble for an already beleaguered season ticket base.

They want Miller back but can't do anything about until after the expansion draft. Any sooner and either Miller or Markstrom gets exposed. They wait and it's Bachman that's exposed.

I think the defense is fine. We spent most of last season without Gudbranson. We have some depth there. I don't think next year is nearly as bleak as you believe. next year there's young forwards with actual offensive ability available.

17 minutes ago, Baggins said:

They want Miller back but can't do anything about until after the expansion draft. Any sooner and either Miller or Markstrom gets exposed. They wait and it's Bachman that's exposed.

I think the defense is fine. We spent most of last season without Gudbranson. We have some depth there. I don't think next year is nearly as bleak as you believe. next year there's young forwards with actual offensive ability available.

Considering WD and the troops fought back hard and got back into it after a nearly ten game losing streak and kept us close until it all but impossible to get in there is reason for optimism with a better coach. 

Personally I'd rather just get it over with at this point and be terrible for two or three more years to get three or four quality prospects/ future stars.  

Management would be wise to keep Juolevi and this year's pick down no matter the temptation let them play in Utica.  Boesser will make the team which will off set losing Tryamkin plus Guddy back.  The worse thing that could happen to this team is becoming a fringe playoff one...We need to suck for a little while longer.

Guess we will find out.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Fair enough. Good point. 

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

I think that the loss of Tryamkin will hurt somewhat, but having Gudbranson back will be very helpful. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. Good point. 

I think that the loss of Tryamkin will hurt somewhat, but having Gudbranson back will be very helpful. 

I'll admit I was hoping to see a Guddy/Try pairing at some point down the road. But life goes on and at least Guddy wants to be here. There still plenty to be excited about on the D side. But what has me looking forward to next season is the prospect of some new young forwards with some real offensive talent joining the team. think about it, Boeser had 4 goal and an assist in 9 games and Goldobin 3 goals in 12 games. The of course there's also possibilities in Gaudette, Dahlen and this years high 1st rounder. As far as I'm concerned there's a great deal to look forward to.

• Upvote 2

On 20/04/2017 at 2:12 PM, BabychStache said:

They completely did with their idiotic "Re-tool" BS. Willie was told to compete for playoffs, so he did the best he could. Which meant limiting the exposure of the prospects. 

The entire group of Retools need to apologize for losing a fan favorite, promising prospect, and a big part of the future of the team due to their ineptitude. 

Get the coach right you bunch of maroons. 

A bunch of Maroons would solve our toughness issues too.  And if they get otherworldly Mcenters we can expect almost thirty goals per piece.

• Upvote 1

I'll say it again. What toughness?  When Benning first came in, he said he wanted to bring in players that would allow the skill guys to "play with courage". Those were his exact words - "play with courage". The one and only guy I can think of that may fit that quote would be Guddy but as we've seen, that was a gross misjudgement. Dorsett is all heart and character but he constantly punches above his weight class.  Love the guy but he's just not enough.  I'm sick of watching my home team get pushed around and frankly, in my mind, immasculated too often. I crave a big tough mean team that forcefully puts pressure on its opposition and doesn't wear out down the stretch due to size issues. Look at what Chiarelli has done in Edmonton bringing in Maroon, Kassian and Lucic to complement the youth and allow them to feel there's someone there to back them up. It makes a difference. Benning talked a big game but in my mind, he's failed miserably. 

Canucks team tries to intimidate teams with NICENESS.

Like when our guys pick up sticks off the ice after the whistle and bring them back to the opponent.....

The Canuck niceness techniques basically makes opponents feel guilty about hurting our players and/or scoring on our goalie.

So the Canucks choose NICENESS over TOUGHNESS.   It is Bennings strategy to win in the new NHL...