The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Team Toughness

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Depending on how the balls drop, they may be able to land a big, skilled, playmaking center in this draft though - which does go a long way to making a smaller scoring winger more viable - and is a good complement in their own end as well as it is the center that draws the responsibility down low.  If we're fortunate enough in the lottery, we may not only get the highly skilled playmaker, but perhaps some size as well - and if that's the case, down the middle the team looks fairly strong in the future (ie Patrick, Horvat, Sutter )

Mittelstadt, Vilardi and Glass also have some decent size as center possibilities.

So if they were to wind up with one of those C in their top 6, Virtanen in their middle six - reasonable size in Horvat, Boeser - they'd be making decent strides imo.

And they'll finally have some depth of prospects, where they could actually have the assets - both up front and on the blueline - to potentially acquire a guy that rounds out the forward group better.  My dream would be a deal for Boone Jenner, but Columbus' rise this year might make them less likely to be making pre-emptive deals to avoid expansion exposure - but a guy in Jenner's mold would certainly make the group another level of hard to play against.

Here's hoping the balls drop in our favour for a change.  

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Darius71 said:

One guy I would love on our 4th line would be Ryan Reaves.  The guy hits like a linebacker, is one of the toughest guys in the league, and can get you 5-10 goals.  Hes getting up there in age, but I wonder what it would take to pry him out of St Louis..they might be more likely to move him if they lose in the first round.  Hes a ufa at the end of next year I think.

He would look good on the 4th line with Kassian and a speedy center.  Opps, we traded the toothless one    One big hit and 1 goal tonight for Kass.

Edited by stanleysteamersmyl
spelling mistake

On 3/29/2017 at 9:20 PM, Zhukini said:

We were most successful with Torres, and Lappy crashing and banging on the forcheck and that probably correlates with our success.

First of all no to drafting it. It's tough to judge if we have enough when 15 and 44 were out most of the season. Most of the toughness comes through Sbisa and there's a good chance he'll be gone. So long story short, no we probably don't 

Yes it's ok to draft it, i.e. Rasmussen but everyone thinks "superstar" like matthews but 1 star will far from help this team that much.

Some of us long time fans are happy we even have players developing in the system  for a change, that lack of depth has cost us 2 stanley cups already and we do not need it to be 3 but since the farm is slowly starting to work i think those days are gone and we will have the depth when we finally make a run at it but without toughness? we're F'd!   It's already been proven enough times...

Edited by iceman64

On 3/29/2017 at 9:16 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Apologies if a similar thread has already been served up. But I'd like to see fan's assessments/analysis of what we should do here.

Watching Cal, Edm & Ana recently, it seems these teams have been built with plenty of grit, alongside their young skill. Likely the Desert Dawgs will be following suit.

Our division is looking (increasingly) that size & attitude will be required.

1) Do we have enough?

2 )Should we draft it? Summer-sign it? Trade for it? Or all of the above?

Lastly, might the pendulum swing the other way? Might the league try to phase out most of this sanctioned violence? Thought this was trending(a few yrs back), but it appears to be reverting back to old patterns.

Knuckle draggers who can only fight, are and have been phased out and replaced mostly with bigger guys who can score some and throw punches (when necessary) and we need 2-3 of them on forward NOT defence so much but we don't even have 1 which is pretty soft and easy prey, especially in the playoffs, let alone to get there. This is a every year thing....  maybe on of these days it will change, like it or not, Mr. Benning is the one to do it when his handcuffs (ntc's and nmc's) are gone.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Knuckle draggers who can only fight, are and have been phased out and replaced mostly with bigger guys who can score some and throw punches (when necessary) and we need 2-3 of them on forward NOT defence so much but we don't even have 1 which is pretty soft and easy prey, especially in the playoffs, let alone to get there. This is a every year thing....  maybe on of these days it will change, like it or not, Mr. Benning is the one to do it when his handcuffs (ntc's and nmc's) are gone.

I would like to have Crammarossa back to be one of those 3, and along with Dorsett it really leaves us with one spot open.  Labate isn't that guy, imo, although he is young and will improve.

16 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I would like to have Crammarossa back to be one of those 3, and along with Dorsett it really leaves us with one spot open.  Labate isn't that guy, imo, although he is young and will improve.

Gaunce also has the ability to be a heavy forechecker who wears down teams.

A good summer of training and a desire to make the starting lineup could really add to team toughness.

51 minutes ago, The Aquamen said:

Accumulate Skill first, the you beef up simple.

You need toughness around while the skill develops or you have injuries.  To be honest I'd bring in John Scott as a depth guy.  Sure, he's not a highly skilled guy but he's still a better defenseman than Larsen, can stick up for teammates, and is a good character guy in the room.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, R35Godz1lla said:

The Canucks did indeed put him through the league substance abuse program, it didn't click. It wasn't until he crashed a leased truck into a telephone pole in Montreal with passengers with him and the subsequent jettisoning from the Habs team that the need to clean up his life finally seemed to click.

People without any knowledge are the kind who think Kassian "could" have been here until now. Zach just wasn't going to cut it here, and needed a big change. Even after Montreal, he still had life problems to deal with. It took a lot for him to finally turn a corner. I'm glad he's finally finding his way in Edmonton.

People are acting like we traded a big piece for nothing, but Canucks Kassian wasn't Oilers Kassian, and never was going to be.

• Upvote 2

The key now is to have some tough skill guys that can play in your top 9 and contribute offensively while playing that heavy game. 

Other guys play bigger when you have a few of those tougher guys who can wear down the opposition D with physical play and chuck the knuckles once in awhile to keep other teams honest. As long as they can skate, keep up, and contribute offensively while not being a defensive liability.

It's probably one of the hardest combinations of players to find. The only way teams usually get them is through the draft or fixing/developing one that other teams haven't been able to fix (Kassian is a prime example).

Looking at our current forward group and assuming they continue to progress as expected, replacing the Sedins with two guys like that when they retire would give us a great balance in our top 9. Baertschi, Horvat, Boeser, Goldobin, Granlund, etc would get a lot more room to maneuver with a couple of guys like that.

Having said that I think it all starts with that pack mentality and team toughness to stand up for themselves and each other. We saw a bit of it with Bo and Hutton. We need guys to do that more often but not just those guys.

1 hour ago, YummyCakeFace said:

What toughness?  Where dat?  Too small, too soft. 

Millers pretty tough. ::D Other then that?....... Yes we are slowly becoming speedy and talented but that will mean nothing when they enter the playoffs and they get bounced around like rag dolls without any pushback players in the line up. Get rid of the older softies and bring in some young toughness with some energy please.

Canucks team toughness:  zero

Top-3 Forwards:  zero

Top-2 Defensemen:  zero

Again, how on Earth has this been allowed to happen???  With a $70+ million a year payroll?  And, about 5 years of advance-warning? 

Whenever you're tempted to say that Benning's doing a great job, just look at the above.  The incompetence required to allow this to happen is just off the charts.

So we lack toughness but a lot of posters were against the Gudbranson trade. That trade looks even better now. He is needed more than ever. A heavyweight who can play in your top 4 D is a most valuable asset. We just need a Gudbranson type In our top 6 of forwards and we should be fine. We also have Tryamkin who could be a monster in 2-3 years and could be in the top pairing one day. I'm sure Gudbranson will teach him how to fight in the summer. If Tryamkin can ever learn to throw the mitts he will turn into a monster really...

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 2

TEAM TOUGHNESS......... there is none and other teams know it! Yes, Dorsett has the heart and soul but he is NOT feared or a heavy weight by any means. We have no defenseman that have that edge and want to clear the front of the net and in fact most of them look like they are very intimidated.... IE: EDLER. Other teams players know they can just park themselves in front of our net and with no repercussions and in fact its embarrassing to watch.

I think Edler is the worst, and that guy has to go. He appears to actually get out of the way of opposing players or, stand right in front of our goalie and screen the heck out of him all the time. Defenseman  are supposed to clear the front of the net and cover their man and hopefully move the puck out their end and play tough and make it a miserable place to be when the opposing players get in their kitchen.All our defenseman are too polite and not punishing the opposing players plain and simple.

I am not advocating goonery, just a some defense with a purpose and passion, and a willingness to play it tough both physically, and mentally. It must be a nightmare playing goal for our goalies with a defense core like we have.

Our defense is way too soft and we will continue to be in trouble if its not addressed.Would loved to have a guy like big buff from the Jets but oh well. I personally believe none of our players will play to their potential until the Canucks management wise up and balance this team with players with size, and an edge, which in turn  make some of are more skilled players play bigger and more comfortable. We need guys like a Lucic, Ferland, yes, Kassian etc... to balance the team out out. Hell, I would even prefer Marchand at this point(as much as I can't stand him), but I got to say that even though he is not the biggest player, the guy plays big, with heart and passion, and willing to get into the dirty areas.He doesn't shy away is more than I can say for a lot of our forwards. So, until we balance this team of ours with skill, and team toughness it will always be the same old excuses, and bull$&!# end results .I think Linden, and Benning is also to be held accountable for this un balanced sorry ass state we are in. Fire Linden and Benning, bring in Crawford to coach and light a fire and instill passion, and get rid Edler and some of our soft forwards (and we have many), and bring in some toughness!!!! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bad_Dog said:

TEAM TOUGHNESS......... there is none and other teams know it! Yes, Dorsett has the heart and soul but he is NOT feared or a heavy weight by any means. We have no defenseman that have that edge and want to clear the front of the net and in fact most of them look like they are very intimidated.... IE: EDLER. Other teams players know they can just park themselves in front of our net and with no repercussions and in fact its embarrassing to watch.

I think Edler is the worst, and that guy has to go. He appears to actually get out of the way of opposing players or, stand right in front of our goalie and screen the heck out of him all the time. Defenseman  are supposed to clear the front of the net and cover their man and hopefully move the puck out their end and play tough and make it a miserable place to be when the opposing players get in their kitchen.All our defenseman are too polite and not punishing the opposing players plain and simple.

I am not advocating goonery, just a some defense with a purpose and passion, and a willingness to play it tough both physically, and mentally. It must be a nightmare playing goal for our goalies with a defense core like we have.

Our defense is way too soft and we will continue to be in trouble if its not addressed.Would loved to have a guy like big buff from the Jets but oh well. I personally believe none of our players will play to their potential until the Canucks management wise up and balance this team with players with size, and an edge, which in turn  make some of are more skilled players play bigger and more comfortable. We need guys like a Lucic, Ferland, yes, Kassian etc... to balance the team out out. Hell, I would even prefer Marchand at this point(as much as I can't stand him), but I got to say that even though he is not the biggest player, the guy plays big, with heart and passion, and willing to get into the dirty areas.He doesn't shy away is more than I can say for a lot of our forwards. So, until we balance this team of ours with skill, and team toughness it will always be the same old excuses, and bull$&!# end results .I think Linden, and Benning is also to be held accountable for this un balanced sorry ass state we are in. Fire Linden and Benning, bring in Crawford to coach and light a fire and instill passion, and get rid Edler and some of our soft forwards (and we have many), and bring in some toughness!!!! 

Agree 100 %.