The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Toxic Culture of Negativity - Vancouver Courier Article

TFerguson

One definitely requires grit, and quite literally balls, to dig a pick out of the tough areas. There's no "toxic masculinity" here, just someone trying to attach third wave feminist ideas to a sport being played by men.

11 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I guess though, Sutter does have balls.  I mean, it takes someone with balls to call people out after the two seasons he's had here. 

He does have a ball to call out the young guys who are still learning, but not the ball to call himself out for his own soft-rock performance on the ice throughout his career. Sutter also doesn't have a ball to call himself out for his pitiful production and for paralyzing his linemates, despite all the TOI given to him 5on5 and on PP.

He should grow a couple more balls himself before questioning the others'. Having an extra ball may also help reinforce his own "foundational" piece.             

Bottom line for me is:  call someone out in the room or during a one on one meeting.  Don't let the media get a hold of a comment like that.  Sutter should know better.

i find it surprising that a player who has shown inconsistency in his two years here, meanwhile making bank, publicly calls out a newly traded, foreign born rookie, coming off a serious illness, 15lbs under his usual "underweight".......an offensive forward being told to learn a new approach to the game.

probably should have kept his dumb mouth shut and put one in the net during recent memory.

whos next on the verbal mentorship program? Loui Eriksson?

13 hours ago, Katobaron said:

Before ripping into Sutter I'd advise reading the full quote as opposed to the balls line that was cherrypicked out of it. All Sutter was referring to was that you have to be tenacious on the puck and force the issue, not wait for the play to come to you and that once Goldobin has the puck he makes great decisions with it, just a matter of gaining possession in the first place.

This city's sports coverage is nothing but clickbait and sensationalism!

Sutter did what other vets/leaders on the team have done, but some fans have been overreacting to it.  Sedin called out some young players last year, Bur's comment on Virt was pretty harsh (but accurate) and I recall Bieksa and Kes doing the same during their tenure as vets.  These guys know what it takes to have a career in the NHL and the young guys should pay attention to what they say.  Listen up, kids.  The window to develop into NHL players is not long and it requires tremendous dedication and hard work.

It happens on other teams as well, but the players aren't always under the microscope like they are here in Vancouver.

"Toxic culture of negativity" is a prime example creating an eye catching headline and then creating a false story to back it up.  What an insulting and undermining comment. 

I would describe the team I've been watching (for some time now), as a team that works hard and never gives up.  Time and again, I thought the game was over for them, then they come back out and challenge the opposition.  I see a group of guys that still have tremendous passion for the game, respect for each and are hopeful for the future; despite having a dismal season.  That's some character.

On 3/31/2017 at 11:53 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Gotta love Murph. I thought Molino showed good wheels and defensive awareness tonight, he even got a nice scoring chance and was noticeable in his debut.

Another case in point ^^^^

19 hours ago, J.R. said:

Most of the negativity comes from the media (OP's article being a case in point) and the mouth-frothing fan base they feed, not the club.

44 minutes ago, 1-d said:

He does have a ball to call out the young guys who are still learning, but not the ball to call himself out for his own soft-rock performance on the ice throughout his career. Sutter also doesn't have a ball to call himself out for his pitiful production and for paralyzing his linemates, despite all the TOI given to him 5on5 and on PP.

He should grow a couple more balls himself before questioning the others'. Having an extra ball may also help reinforce his own "foundational" piece.             

As far as I'm concerned Sutter has been pretty good this year. No worse certainly than most of the rest of the team.

In my book he has every right to lecture rookies, that's what vets are for, that is how it's always been and hopefully how it always will be. Sutter has served his time and is an established NHL player, that is enough to give him the right to point out rookie failings imo.

Of course he's not 21 and wasn't drafted here so in the mind of the usual lynch mob that is good enough to start disrespecting him it seems. I see the lightweights are out in force again.

19 hours ago, AllWeatherFan said:

I think the difference it would make is clarity. Makes it easier to cheer for a team when everything's on the exact same page as far as where we are and where we're going. Maybe most are but it doesn't seem that way to me at games, in the media, or when I listen to TL refuse to use the word, 'rebuild.'

It should never be difficult to cheer for your team. It's yours at the end of the day, warts and all - this is sport. Whatever happened to loyalty, faith and waiting on the next game and the next and ......... to cheer on your heroes.

19 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That wouldn't bother me if he wasn't paid $4+ million while putting up 30 something points (with a NTC).  He's alright defensively - but not nearly good enough to offset those faults.

Yeah because we all know he always gets the top line mates.

25 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

It should never be difficult to cheer for your team. It's yours at the end of the day, warts and all - this is sport. Whatever happened to loyalty, faith and waiting on the next game and the next and ......... to cheer on your heroes.

Loyalty and faith.....Just like

On 12/5/2015 at 0:22 PM, alfstonker said:

This is why I wonder if we will ever win a Cup. 

Leaders don't WIN the cup, (every team has leaders) WINNERS win the cup and if you are telling me we passed up a 6'-4" 220 lb draftee to select Bo then yes it was a mistake. 

Bo is disappointing me.

He is NOT the gritty player I thought he was and worse, he has little push back (he is a forward equivalent of Tanev) I want to see Bo lead like Brown or Iginla or Crosby - with some sandpaper. That's what turns a leader into a WINNER.

Imo Bo will ultimately disappoint because he hasn't the talent of a Sedin or Nichushkin or a Monaghan  and he hasn't the sand and pushback of a Brown, Giroux or a Doan.

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Loyalty and faith.....Just like

That is realism. It has nothing to do with loyalty and faith and wanting the best for your team. You should know that. You seem to be under the impression I'm some kind of homer, I'm not. I see our weaknesses but none of them stop me thinking we will get it right in time.

As for Bo, I haven't really changed my opinion. For a pretty big body he is still not as physical as I would want and while he competes well for the puck I don't see any push back - yet. Now no player NEEDS to have push back but FOR ME it has to be in your captain and if Bo wants to be the leader of this team he needs to prove he can step up and do what it takes. We have had for too long leaders of this team that need others to do the push back for them.

It is early days though and if you want to see a team with push back all through it go look at the Blue Jackets.

By the way that was 2015 and it is still true - not bad I think.

Good try though Forsberg. I now have this mental picture of you saving all my posts. I feel honoured:lol:

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

That is realism. It has nothing to do with loyalty and faith and wanting the best for your team. You should know that. You seem to be under the impression I'm some kind of homer, I'm not. I see our weaknesses but none of them stop me thinking we will get it right in time.

As for Bo, I haven't really changed my opinion. For a pretty big body he is still not as physical as I would want and while he competes well for the puck I don't see any push back - yet. Now no player NEEDS to have push back but FOR ME it has to be in your captain and if Bo wants to be the leader of this team he needs to prove he can step up and do what it takes. We have had for too long leaders of this team that need others to do the push back for them.

It is early days though and if you want to see a team with push back all through it go look at the Blue Jackets.

By the way that was 2015 and it is still true - not bad I think.

Good try though Forsberg. I now have this mental picture of you saving all my posts. I feel honoured:lol:

I think that Bo has the strength of character, work ethic, and attitude  to develop those "lead by example" traits and become more physical, a bit more snarky, etc. That's why I think it's quickly become his team and I see a lot of Linden in him to be honest.

On 2017-04-07 at 10:32 AM, riffraff said:

Bottom line for me is:  call someone out in the room or during a one on one meeting.  Don't let the media get a hold of a comment like that.  Sutter should know better.

i find it surprising that a player who has shown inconsistency in his two years here, meanwhile making bank, publicly calls out a newly traded, foreign born rookie, coming off a serious illness, 15lbs under his usual "underweight".......an offensive forward being told to learn a new approach to the game.

probably should have kept his dumb mouth shut and put one in the net during recent memory.

whos next on the verbal mentorship program? Loui Eriksson?

+1 Riff..this reflects damn poorly on "Suttssy".

What does Jimbo think? A verbal attack on his complete return(we're not getting the 1st!) from the one & only, Honey Badger? Bonino's(brilliant cap hit) was squandered on this guy, who's now depreciated another asset.

Is the sutter-clan telling this schmoe what to say?!

10 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

it starts and ends with our hack media. we desperately need new hockey media here

The fact is the Canucks are almost a completely different team than when JB took over, just compare the 2014 to the projected roster for next season. Younger, more skill potential, a bit faster, etc. 

Also as  far as messaging, haven't you seen the "compete" ads where they're all doing the grind, running the sea wall etc, those are great. Bo's going to be on ad's everywhere next year with a new younger competitive ad thing going on that I think will be very positive and work well. 

Goldy is playing better since being called out. We don't need floaters like Yakipov who won't go into the corners. If you want Goldy to be that, then we'll start seeing some real negativity. 

On this one point, there are two pipelines where things start and end. I agree that it starts and ends with our hack media but it also starts and ends with those who digest what the hack media puts out there.

The media in this city is a major contributor to the culture of negativity. It's obvious. That's how they profit by playing into what the fans want to hear. Ultimately, though, it's also a personal choice to believe the media, which toils more in speculation and opinion than facts. So when the media journalist presents a negative opinion that's aligned to individual fan opinions, it's often misconstrued as fact. And the cycle continues. 

I'm just saying it's a two way street. Agree we need a better media culture.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

On this one point, there are two pipelines where things start and end. I agree that it starts and ends with our hack media but it also starts and ends with those who digest what the hack media puts out there.

The media in this city is a major contributor to the culture of negativity. It's obvious. That's how they profit by playing into what the fans want to hear. Ultimately, though, it's also a personal choice to believe the media, which toils more in speculation and opinion than facts. So when the media journalist presents a negative opinion that's aligned to individual fan opinions, it's often misconstrued as fact. And the cycle continues. 

I'm just saying it's a two way street. Agree we need a better media culture.

true, but there's are fans and "fans" in Vancouver. Some are bleeding blue and green, others watch with some interest and then show up to Roger's in a Hawks jersey. I think the negativity thrives with the latter. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

true, but there's are fans and "fans" in Vancouver. Some are bleeding blue and green, others watch with some interest and then show up to Roger's in a Hawks jersey. I think the negativity thrives with the latter. 

Don't disagree at all. Good point. I think about this all the time. I find it's a complex topic. It's cool in this city to hate on the Canucks to fit in with others. That's one issue. A friend of mine here is actually proud to be a bandwagon Canucks fan. Throw in the media ... bizarro world! 

Archived