The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Case Against Travis Green

AK_19

A big complaint around here is the on ice product doesn't match the price of the tickets. If that's the case, and Green's style is similar to WD's, why would we want him?

Everybody on here knows how boring this team was to watch this year. We all know one of the only draws to watch a game was to check out the revolving door of young guns playing and it's been like that since day one:

- What's going to happen to Horvat, why is he starting on the 4th line?

- Everybody wanted to see what Stecher and Tryamkin were about

- How will Baertschi do on his new show-me contract?

- What's Granlund really about?

- What's a healthy Sutter like?

- Boeser, Goldobin, Boucher etc

and so on and so forth

Crawford who's known for coaching a more upbeat style of play, has won in the NHL and has experience with coaching a Canucks team in transition sounds a lot more appealing to me. 

Don't even get me started on Darryl Sutter. We don't need to see Brandon Sutter getting PP1 time anymore. That's done. Please.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Green is CDC's flavour of the month, just like how Willie was 3 years ago.

Actually there was quite a few angry three years ago that Willie was selected over Green. Personally I think they have very similar approaches to coaching. Willie has just enjoyed more success.

I hope they're talking to Gallant. Experienced with youth, many years as an assistant, and his firing in Florida simply baffled me.

36 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Actually there was quite a few angry three years ago that Willie was selected over Green. Personally I think they have very similar approaches to coaching. Willie has just enjoyed more success.

I hope they're talking to Gallant. Experienced with youth, many years as an assistant, and his firing in Florida simply baffled me.

I think people were more so angry that we didn't get Bylsma, but I'm pretty sure Willie was their second choice. Everybody and their mothers wanted him, because of his success with the Texas Stars.

Looking at the Canucks current situation, Vancouver may not be the best option for Green's entry into the NHL. He is a smart man and if there are other options out there for him he might not be available. We may very well be a bottom 6 team for the next few years and may need to sacrifice a coach or two along the way back to respectability. A coach with experience may settle the fan base as well as the young players in the lineup. 

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

In the modern history of this franchise the most successful coaches have arguably been Quinn,  Crow and AV - all had previous NHL head coaching experience before arriving here.  Is this a prerequisite for success - no, but imo it shouldn't be a criteria taken lightly. 

Quin was the best hockey man this club ever had given his ability to make the big trade draft well ( anyone who fired back want about Nedved and not Jagr needs to do some homework to find out he said no publicly and to every GM who asked him except secretly yes to PIT because the only way he would come to the NHL was to play with Mario) and turned an pretty bad team into  Smythe division killer and eventually 94. AV was a great coach on great Burke/Nonis team.  Crow was a great coach too overachieving at times with Van after his cup in Col.  Neilson wasn't too shabby either.

I'm enjoying all the comments about Green being WD 2.0 when they have never watched the Comets play an actual game.  They play an uptempo, hard forechecking game that generates a lot of scoring chances, they just haven't had many finishers down there in the last two years.

Things ought to get real interesting around here if we hire a fan fav experienced coach and not only do we still suck in 2 years but the young guys don't get much playing time and the powerplay still sucks..... oh boy. Sure hope Benning picks the right guy ;)  except there is no right guy according to the poll running on here.

I'd like to see Crow back. When he joined the first time the team was very similar to what it is today. Vancouver was almost always at the top of the goals for column with him at the helm. The west coast express line early on reminded me of players like Baertschi, Virtanen, Goldobin. First round picks who have the talent that hasn't translated. Even guys like Druken, Muckalt, Schaefer, Cooke put up good numbers under Crawford.

Another point for Green to be promoted as head coach.

Jake Virtanen. Here is a guy drafted 6th overall who has been having a difficult time in his development. Though natural to have difficulty adjusting his game as a power forward, he is not where he wants to be or where he can be. He is a kid in a mans body and needs a lot of work. Having a head coach like Travis Green who has had adequate time with Jake Virtanen will set Jake up for easy transition for call ups. He knows Green's systems; he knows what Green wants defensively; he knows what Green wants offensively. 

We don't hire a head coach for one players development. However, this is the added piece that excites me and gives me hope in a quest to hiring a head coach that can lead this young team to success.

5 hours ago, swizzey said:

Another point for Green to be promoted as head coach.

Jake Virtanen. Here is a guy drafted 6th overall who has been having a difficult time in his development. Though natural to have difficulty adjusting his game as a power forward, he is not where he wants to be or where he can be. He is a kid in a mans body and needs a lot of work. Having a head coach like Travis Green who has had adequate time with Jake Virtanen will set Jake up for easy transition for call ups. He knows Green's systems; he knows what Green wants defensively; he knows what Green wants offensively. 

We don't hire a head coach for one players development. However, this is the added piece that excites me and gives me hope in a quest to hiring a head coach that can lead this young team to success.

Making someone the coach for the benefit of one player even if he's (the coaching candidate) not the best fit for the entire team is not how you inspire organizational confidence.

The best coach period will be able to work with Virtanen, and having had Green for a single season in Utica is not enough to justify giving him the head coaching job. He's just too inexperienced.

On the flip side top 10 picks bust all the time, I'm not saying Virtanen is going to be a bust, far from it; but you can't use flawed logic to appease your opinion and expect everyone to agree with you.

Edit: Clarifying my opening sentence, lol.

Great post. I can't believe all the pro Green stuff on here either... another rookie head coach with LESS experience than old Wilbur... just makes no sense. Then again the average poster here thinks every one of our prospects will be impact NHL players.

Archived