The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] - Scott Darling to Carolina

Darius

T

The Chicago Blackhawks today acquired a third-round pick in the 2017 National Hockey League Draft from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for goaltender Scott Darling.

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/blackhawks-acquire-draft-pick-from-carolina/c-289160318

I guess this might be the end of the road for Lack in Carolina?

26 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Poor Eddie :(

Carolina's anticipation that possibly it could be Lack being selected for the expansion draft.

Maybe a blessing in disguise. He's been cursed since he went to the hurricanes. His asshole coach called him out to the media as well. 

ah man

he was among the worst goalies since he left the canucks

jb was wise to move him when he did

he is likely done

really nice guy .. great personality

but a bit lacking in skill at the nhl level

reminds me a bit too much of the corrado sentiments on here

a marginal player who was liked

but him moving on was not a loss to the team

man . many of us would give a left nuttt to play in the nhl

even for the limited games and medicore performance lack delivered

he might have a good ahl career though

good luck to him

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

18-13-4 was his best record when we traded him. I think that was the highest value he was at for the trade. What did we get for him?

I believe it was the 66th pick in 2015 which Benning turned into Brisebois and the 7th rounder in 2016... cant remember who they got for that and Im  too lazy to look it up!

A 3rd rounder for the UFA negotiating rights for Scott Darling? That's a win for the Blackhawks. Blackhawks were clearly not going to be able to sign Darling (since Darling's angling for a starters job). It'll be interesting if Darling ends up signing with Carolina (to be there new starter) or if he ends up testing his market value. This likely means, no matter what, both Cam Ward and Eddie Lack will be exposed in the expansion draft with Scott being protected (to keep the negotiating rights). Regardless, I think the Hurricanes will lose Lee Stempniak, either way.

That said, I'm curious who the Blackhawks want as their backup next season now that Darling is gone. The Blackhawks don't really have a prime candidate in their system to replace Darling outside of Jeff Glass. Either Glass is the shoe in or they'll be making another move to get a backup... likely once the expansion draft happens. I could see the Blackhawks going after a guy like Troy Grosenick (San Jose), Adam Wilcox (Florida) or Pheonix Copley (St. Louis) as their backup next year... both cheap, AHL proven goalies who haven't been able to break through the goalie clog on their teams.

18 minutes ago, Quantum said:

A 3rd rounder for the UFA negotiating rights for Scott Darling? That's a win for the Blackhawks. Blackhawks were clearly not going to be able to sign Darling (since Darling's angling for a starters job). It'll be interesting if Darling ends up signing with Carolina (to be there new starter) or if he ends up testing his market value. This likely means, no matter what, both Cam Ward and Eddie Lack will be exposed in the expansion draft with Scott being protected (to keep the negotiating rights). Regardless, I think the Hurricanes will lose Lee Stempniak, either way.

That said, I'm curious who the Blackhawks want as their backup next season now that Darling is gone. The Blackhawks don't really have a prime candidate in their system to replace Darling outside of Jeff Glass. Either Glass is the shoe in or they'll be making another move to get a backup... likely once the expansion draft happens. I could see the Blackhawks going after a guy like Troy Grosenick (San Jose), Adam Wilcox (Florida) or Pheonix Copley (St. Louis) as their backup next year... both cheap, AHL proven goalies who haven't been able to break through the goalie clog on their teams.

In all honesty? I don't think the Blackhawks would need to make a deal to find a serviceable backup. Crawford is their man for the foreseeable future and there will be enough decent backups hitting free agency. 

I bet Bowman is laughing that he got a 3rd for a backup goalie he had no intention of re-signing.

Archived