The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] - Scott Darling to Carolina

Darius

51 minutes ago, Quantum said:

That said, I'm curious who the Blackhawks want as their backup next season now that Darling is gone. The Blackhawks don't really have a prime candidate in their system to replace Darling outside of Jeff Glass

There were rumblings leading into last season that Ivan Nalimov was going to cross over. Now, he did sign a 2 year extension in the KHL, which has one more year remaining. So he won't be coming over, if at all, until the 2018-2019 season.

So unless Chicago signs someone in the off-season, my guess is Lars Johansson.

3 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Just heard Frieman say Darling is a pending UFA. A steep price for a short window to sign a backup goalie I'd say.

Carolina or Arizona would be the best 2 places for Darling to get a starting job. Maybe he goes to the Jets or avs? That could work to and he'd be playing the Hawks 6x a year

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

A 3rd rounder for the UFA negotiating rights for Scott Darling?

I'd be surprised if this isn't one of those situations where the Hawks gave the Canes permission to talk with / negotiate with Darling as part of the terms of this deal.

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Poor Eddie :(

Carolina's anticipation that possibly it could be Lack being selected for the expansion draft.

What about this scenario:  maybe Carolina might have a deal with Vegas to sign Darling.  If Vegas signs Darling during their exclusive free agency period, then Carolina doesn't have to lose anyone else in the expansion draft.

In a way, it kind of reminds me of when the Canucks traded for Vanbiesbrouck in order to protect McLean and Whitmore.

12 hours ago, Monty said:

There were rumblings leading into last season that Ivan Nalimov was going to cross over. Now, he did sign a 2 year extension in the KHL, which has one more year remaining. So he won't be coming over, if at all, until the 2018-2019 season.

So unless Chicago signs someone in the off-season, my guess is Lars Johansson.

Chicago will likely look outside the organization for a back up. They've had very good success lately with back ups (Emery, Raanta, Darling)  so I'm confident they'll find another. 

Darling was was going to free agency and somebody will pay him starter money. There's no way Chicago could keep him. Darling has been awesome and deserves a chance to be a #1. I hope he gets paid big time and enjoys tremendous success in Carolina or where ever he lands. 

10 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Carolina or Arizona would be the best 2 places for Darling to get a starting job. Maybe he goes to the Jets or avs? That could work to and he'd be playing the Hawks 6x a year

Arizona has Smith.

Sakic said he is going to protect Varlamov in expansion draft over Pickard.

The Jets have Hellebuyck - I don't think they plan on moving on from him. 

2 hours ago, mll said:

Arizona has Smith.

Sakic said he is going to protect Varlamov in expansion draft over Pickard.

The Jets have Hellebuyck - I don't think they plan on moving on from him. 

Given a choice between Sakic and Benning, Benning wins easily as GM. Unless we're talking as a player in their primes. 

Lack's issue was coaching in Carolina imo.  Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  His numbers were good in Van and one of the worst in Carolina (20 games last year, 0.902 save %).  If coached to play the way Melanson had him playing, there's no telling if or when he might return to form.  Eddy is now 29.

On 28/04/2017 at 4:42 PM, DeNiro said:

To anyone who thinks we didn't get enough for Lack. This is the market value for a backup. 

Darling will be a UFA in 2 months. I'm surprised they actually got a 3rd for him. Lack still had a year left on his deal when he was traded. So in theory, Lack should have had more value. Strange move for Carolina IMO. There's no guarantee Darling even signs with them. 

I'm curious who will be next to be moved for the playoff teams that have to many talented players.  Anaheim has a ton of players that they need to figure out.  They got like 1 extra D man and a forward don't they?

Archived