The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Benning wants to move up in 2017 draft (per LeBrun)

40 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Tanev alone does not get you the 3OA..The reason the story has legs is because the Canucks are in a unique position of being a rebuilding team, that can take on salary,and has two 2nd's at their disposal.

An overpayment to move up 2 spots either is not really smart either....After the first two picks,3-7 are basically crapshoot...There is no consensus player at 3.

There may not be a consensus, but every team has a player in that spot and some may really like the player they have there. 

That being said, I wouldn't pay a whole lot to move up either. 

11 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

3rd and 5th would be great. I jus dont think tanev, 55th pick and a bad contract coming our way would land us 3rd overall. If dallas is in win mode now then i think they would want a bearschi or granlund included in that deal.

I can almost say with 99% certainty,that any deal involving Tanev and whatever else will not get us the 3OA....Even though the Dallas hockey market is nothing like here,you would have a tough time selling that deal to your fanbase.

29 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I can almost say with 99% certainty,that any deal involving Tanev and whatever else will not get us the 3OA....Even though the Dallas hockey market is nothing like here,you would have a tough time selling that deal to your fanbase.

Selling one of the leagues most coveted defensive defense men to a win now team who's number one issue was letting in to many goals, by trading a draft piece that they we're expecting to have and received by dumb luck? I honestly think it's an easier sell then one might think.

16 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

One would hope that JB would hang up the phone on that proposal.

Damn straight!  That'd be just throwing away a huge asset for almost zero benefit.

If there's multiple leaks in a boat you don't spend extra for one prettier plug.

8 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Selling one of the leagues most coveted defensive defense men to a win now team who's number one issue was letting in to many goals, by trading a draft piece that they we're expecting to have and received by dumb luck? I honestly think it's an easier sell then one might think.

Also GM's will look at his injury history over the last couple of years with the beating he takes, not quite the easy sell as you think.

Here is what I would like to see ideally, 

1) Edler + CBJ 2nd for 3OA + Niemis Contract

2) Tanev to Toronto for their 17th OA pick or wherever they fall in that area (sorry it isn't exact)

3) Trade that 17th pick plus our 2nd rd pick to move up to the top 12?

4) Draft 3OA. 5 OA, and most likely between 7-12.  Rebuild is 70% done lol. Draft again in the top 10 next year regardless

btw #2 if 17oa and kapenen coming back. This trade doesn't have to happen by the draft, can happen by the trade deadline but needs to be around that area. yes that does affect my #3 and 4

trade #5) trade niemi or whichever goalie we get at the trade deadline for a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2018.

**by the end get a 1C, a potential top 2 offensive defenceman in this years draft

Now with Bostons trade talks, trade Sbisa and our 3rd for the 18th pick?

We going to be awfully thin on defence the way I'm going.

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

3rd and 5th would be great. I jus dont think tanev, 55th pick and a bad contract coming our way would land us 3rd overall. If dallas is in win mode now then i think they would want a bearschi or granlund included in that deal.

Really? If anything I think it's an overpayment on our part. Tanev + CBJ 2nd or a goalie dump is fair. 

There might already be a thread on this but...

http://www.tsn.ca/patrick-says-he-is-overcoming-two-hernia-injuries-1.768958

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Centre Nolan Patrick says a misdiagnosis of a sports hernia injury contributed to the NHL's top-ranked draft prospect missing more than half of last season.

Patrick had surgery to repair one side of his groin last summer, and now says he also required surgery to repair the other side, which was missed by initial testing. The 18-year-old says he kept quiet about the second injury during the season and decided to make the revelation while attending the NHL's draft-eligible player combine in Buffalo this week.

The league's central scouting department ranks Patrick as its top prospect even though he was limited to playing 33 regular-season and four post-season games for Brandon of the Western Hockey League. The 6-foot-2 Patrick finished with 20 goals and 46 points to up his junior career total to 91 goals and 204 points in 160 games.

Patrick is medically cleared to take part in the combine testing, which concludes Saturday.

Swiss-born centre Nico Hischier is ranked second. He led Quebec Major Junior Hockey League rookies with 38 goals and 86 points for Halifax.

The New Jersey Devils have the first pick and have not yet revealed who they will select in the draft being held in Chicago on June 23-24.

Chances are pretty good that Patrick slides out of the top 2 now...

2 hours ago, Doogie said:

I think Bennign is trying to acquire two top 5 picks in order to draft a puck moving power play defenseman and top 6 centre. this would definitely speed up our rebuild. If we are taking on a bad contract then Tanev and Columbus' second nothing more. 

The bad contracts from Dallas goalies run out next season, Spezza produces extremely well for a second line center when he's healthy so I don't expect they want to get rid of him, plus it wouldn't work for out team unless could move to the wing.  Dallas should have done better last season and are much better than their overall finish...they made a statement fixing their biggest weakness, adding Tanevs shot suppression would only help them.  Don't expect they will do anything until after expansion draft, but Vancouver makes sense as a trading partner to fix their cap goalie issues while adding a solid top four defender still in his prime....

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we end up with one of their goalies and this year's pick.  Valardi is a good prize and worth the one year cap hit.

Dallas was considered a contender with Benn at the height of his powers over the last few years, and they've added auxiliary pieces that have shown their commitment to add to their window... somebody is going to keep this going, hope it's us..

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

I don't know about that.  I really think it would be an easy sell.  Especially Hitch as their new coach.  They need to be better defensively to win now.  The 3rd OA pick might benefit the team in 2 years if they are lucky.  If they want help now Tanev is totally worth a first round pick. He is a legitimate top 4 D man. 

4 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

The Canucks have to stop falling in love with players they want to draft.  Just take the best player available - and maybe adjust to fill a need.  But Vlardi is arguably no better or worse than any of the other centers in the 3-6 range....    The idea that the Canucks know something other GMs don't is a fallacy... we would be GOLD if we had just picked the next player AFTER JBs pick the last few years.  That tells you all  you really need to know...

It's too early to say that tbh. Joulevi can easily become a top 4 Dman which is worth more than a 2nd line winger in Tkachuck. Virtanen was BPA ranked by most in the top 8. Boeser and Konecny are both good prospects. 

2 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Tanev + Bluejackets 2nd would be the most I could accept/see as being fair for 3OA and a goalie dump

Ya, I mean...I think it's a little much. I'd say one or the other when it comes the CBJ 2nd or goalie dump but I wouldn't be upset if we did both. I don't mind overpaying if we end up getting what we want. Especially when the overpayment is just a roster spot for the year and money out of the owner's pockets.

Keep hearing Honka's name as a top prospect. Is he untouchable? Their fan market is likely a little easier to pacify, but they probably need a high 1st, after doing so well at the lotto.

- Looking at capfriendly, their D-list looks pretty shallow

- We might easily lose Sbisa in the draft. Might the Stars have interest?

- Assuming Edler really won't accept waiving. Good to have vets who truly want to stay, I guess?..

Unsure of precise value, but I suggest something around this base:

Van: Tanev, Sbisa, #5 OA

Dallas: Lehtonen, Honka, #3 OA

^Something like this way off?

Could land us a great partner for Olli(Honka), & a top C, like Vilardi.

Ideally, we then go on to land a D like Alzner in July FAgency.

Archived