The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Benning wants to move up in 2017 draft (per LeBrun)

49 minutes ago, bp79 said:

doubt he falls  I still think our best bet is with Philly The literally have one RHd and plenty of centres. Tanev and Ghost or Proverov would be scary good Maybe trhow in a 2nd or both if that's what it takes plus A mac as a cash dump And we walk out with either nico or Nolan and Lilegren. Both could make the team next year Most of the talking heads think they could both step in Lilegren might need A little time to adjust first in Utica  Sure would speed up the rebuild.

They traded for Filppula at the TDL because they wanted a C2.  They don't see Couturier as a C2 but a C3 and they prefer Schnenn on the wing.  I don't know their prospects enough - do they have that many upcoming top-6 Cs?

12 minutes ago, mll said:

They traded for Filppula at the TDL because they wanted a C2.  They don't see Couturier as a C2 but a C3 and they prefer Schnenn on the wing.  I don't know their prospects enough - do they have that many upcoming top-6 Cs?

German Rubsov who they drafted last year definitely has a 2C ceiling but I have no clue how he's progressing. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Heard on 1040 the 3rd would likely cost Tanev + Virtanen + pick 33.  Crazy too much IMHAO.  Would it be tempting (though) if one of Patrick or Hischier falls to three?  Ugg.:wacko:

No you didn't hear them report that at all...

It was actually some random dude who sent a tweet in saying he would pay that package to move to 3rd.  Really says a lot about some of the fans in canuckland.  1st to call benning dumb or say he doesnt know what hes doing, then turn around and make proposals like that.

13 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

No you didn't hear them report that at all...

It was actually some random dude who sent a tweet in saying he would pay that package to move to 3rd.  Really says a lot about some of the fans in canuckland.  1st to call benning dumb or say he doesnt know what hes doing, then turn around and make proposals like that.

Did the guy that tweeted this proposal reveal himself as a benning critic?

It might be doable.

Canucks lose Sbsa's 3.5 mil, trade 2 2nds for Dallas's 1rst and bad goalie contract, essentially a cap wash for the Nucks and this is not a super draft class so not a huge loss for Dallas but does give cap room for signing Kovalchuck or other deal in works.

Trade 3rd and 5th overall for 1rst overall not 2nd overall.

Benning goes down as GM that orchestrates Canucks first ever number 1 draft pick, gets an extra year of work with resulting hero worship.

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

I really don't see it as a weak draft.  There are no obviously super elite players which makes it seem that way, but otherwise I think the talent is right on par with the norm.  In fact, I think that if you look at the top 10 rankings there might be more NHL players in that list than normal.

Yes, thank you. I may have mis-spoke slightly, but it's also somewhat what I meant by "weak draft be damned". I certainly agree with your assessment of quality NHL players being in the top 10 though. 

Who knows? Perhaps in 5 or 6 years we'll be talking about how underrated this draft was prior to its occurence.

The fact there is such a rankings mash up between 3 and X may give us a slight advantage in acquiring another pick this year.

Or not, *shoulder shrug* but I feel it's as good a time as any to make a move given the players we have, and the potential needs of multiple teams around us in a high draft position.

I wouldn't even view it as a strong, or a necessarily bold move, it would just be a move that makes sense after our last season, or seasons.

Edit: our, not out, and some other stuff

20 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

not with Dallas....   if you move up it has to be to #1 or #2 this draft....  

or... you move up to #3 but it has to be cheap, as the player you get at #3 will almost have the same shot at making an impact as the player at #5....   total crap shoot.  Only #1 or #2 offer a substantial upgrade... 

that said, if we aquire #3 and keep #5, that would be worth it... but "moving up" suggests parting with #5 on the way

IMHO!

I think the Canucks are very high on vilardi. They had a full day where they only interviewed him and he seems like a Benning pick. Skill, Size, 200 foot game, great character.

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I don't see the draft in that light. What I see is a questionable top choice, Patrick is a guy if he was healthy that would give this draft the legitimacy of any of the past drafts except for last year. 

The guys just below Patrick and Nico compare decently to previous drafts top ten players.  

What impresses me about this years draft is the depth of quality thru the first and into the second round. High probability of NHL careers for most of them.  That's why I really want JB to add picks in the top 40. I think there is a lot of can't miss first and second tier players. 

EmW

hope you are right!  all the more so if we can get more top 40 picks

2 hours ago, John McClane said:

Essentially that works out to be a top 4 D a 6th over all pick and a 33rd for 3rd over all. 

Lets think back at a strong draft year. The McDavid draft. 

Would you trade those 3 pieces for what Edmonton got at #3 in that strong draft?

Is what's available at 3 this year better that what was available at 3 that year?

If you take the top 4 picks out of the last three drafts then you have essentially what this draft equals from #1 up.

Edmonton's #3 pick is worth more than any of this years top draft spots, that kid isn't in the NHL and he doesn't "fit" on the team at this time. Not the right type of role player. Give enough and he might be available.

If Benning was to make a move to trade up it would have to be a last minute move if only moving to #3 spot otherwise it has to be for number 1 and not at the cost of Tanev. 

15 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It might be doable.

Canucks lose Sbsa's 3.5 mil, trade 2 2nds for Dallas's 1rst and bad goalie contract, essentially a cap wash for the Nucks and this is not a super draft class so not a huge loss for Dallas but does give cap room for signing Kovalchuck or other deal in works.

Trade 3rd and 5th overall for 1rst overall not 2nd overall.

Benning goes down as GM that orchestrates Canucks first ever number 1 draft pick, gets an extra year of work with resulting hero worship.

Trade 3+5 to move up? No likey.

Heiskanen+Glass >>>>>>> Nico

Jim would be a hero with two top 5s...

That would have an unbelievable impact on this core going forward. Glass feeding Boeser + Dahlen, with Juolevi + Heiskanen on the points for the PP (maybe Hutton or Stech too). That's sounding like a home team I want to pay to see.

Allows Horvat to keep chugging along and still have skill guys to play with.

We have to move Tanev to get that 3rd pick though, if that even gets it done. 

7 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

I think the Canucks are very high on vilardi. They had a full day where they only interviewed him and he seems like a Benning pick. Skill, Size, 200 foot game, great character.

The Canucks have to stop falling in love with players they want to draft.  Just take the best player available - and maybe adjust to fill a need.  But Vlardi is arguably no better or worse than any of the other centers in the 3-6 range....    The idea that the Canucks know something other GMs don't is a fallacy... we would be GOLD if we had just picked the next player AFTER JBs pick the last few years.  That tells you all  you really need to know...

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

Tanev isn't worth the 3rd pick.  I love the guy and he does so much defensively, but he doesn't get a 3 OA.

I agree with you though that 3+5 to move to 1st isn't worth it at all.  I'd love to move into the top two and would be willing to pay with it, but that payment just can't be two very high picks on our part.  (Besides the fact that the only way 3+5 is worth the 1OA is when a McDavid is available.  And it's still somewhat questionable)

1 hour ago, mll said:

Maybe one in German Rubstov drafted 22 OA in 2016.  QMJHL Russian whom they want to keep in North America, considered 38th best prospect in the world right now. Heavy on D with Sanheim and Philippe Myers leading the pack ...

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

K would you be comfortable with that trade scenario.

Gods no.

We need quality with quantity, not simply packaging multiple assets to either move up fractionally or to improve fractionally and only possibly in one area.

It's a sure way to ensure you don't have the depth of skill to compete

Champions are not built overnight

1 minute ago, nergish said:

Jim would be a hero with two top 5s...

That would have an unbelievable impact on this core going forward. Glass feeding Boeser + Dahlen, with Juolevi + Heiskanen on the points for the PP (maybe Hutton or Stech too). That's sounding like a home team I want to pay to see.

Allows Horvat to keep chugging along and still have skill guys to play with.

The problem with prospects is that not all work out, Dahlen does have a guaranteed position type contract but he is very slight and could end up back in Europe if he doesn't make it here, Juolevi is now talked about as needing another year in the minors possibly, Boeser looks like he can make the show. Dylan Strome was/is a scoring machine in junior but couldn't crack the Yotes line up so when comparing a so so draft year Glass might not be as good as necessary for the NHL.

These playoffs show that size, grit and "presence" are necessary just to compete for all 4 lines and management should not just be building for a regular season team to be merely competitive but a team that could make a dent in the playoffs if they make that far.

Virtanen was supposed to be a top line winger out of the box but going on 3 years later it is  being projected that he might make the NHL as a 3rd line banger and that was in a good/deep draft year.

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

The problem with prospects is that not all work out, Dahlen does have a guaranteed position type contract but he is very slight and could end up back in Europe if he doesn't make it here, Juolevi is now talked about as needing another year in the minors possibly, Boeser looks like he can make the show. Dylan Strome was/is a scoring machine in junior but couldn't crack the Yotes line up so when comparing a so so draft year Glass might not be as good as necessary for the NHL.

These playoffs show that size, grit and "presence" are necessary just to compete for all 4 lines and management should not just be building for a regular season team to be merely competitive but a team that could make a dent in the playoffs if they make that far.

Virtanen was supposed to be a top line winger out of the box but going on 3 years later it is  being projected that he might make the NHL as a 3rd line banger and that was in a good/deep draft year.

I was absolutely not talking about this upcoming season.

I don't want Dahlen here yet. Juolevi only if he can really nail a spot out of camp. Glass and Heiskanen would come to camp but would certainly not play reg season NHL games.

I think everybody here knows this a slow process, but two pieces like that change our future outlook dramatically.

and yeah Tanev alone does not get third OA.

It would be Tanman, CBJ 2nd, and maybe even a Subban (or comparable prospect)

for

3rd OA, Lehtonen cap dump.

(I actually don't know who would be a better goalie to take on, as Niemi has a cup, but I think Lehtonen could be a serviceable 1b with Marky)

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Heard on 1040 the 3rd would likely cost Tanev + Virtanen + pick 33.  Crazy too much IMHAO.  Would it be tempting (though) if one of Patrick or Hischier falls to three?  Ugg.:wacko:

I was listening to 1040 on my way to work (just after 8:00am) and they were talking about this but no mention of JV. They had a guest (some TSN insider I think) and they asked him if he believed Tanev + CBJ 2nd was enough to land the 3rd OA pick and he said yes, he thought so. They went on to talk about how bad Dallas is defensively and now that they have Hitchcock coaching, he'll want a defensive defenseman. He also said Jim Nill believes they have a small window to compete and if Bishop and Hitchcock bomb then that will probably be the end of the line for Nill. So he made it sound like Dallas would take that deal no problem because they need help now and Tanev is exactly the type of player that they need.

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I was listening to 1040 on my way to work (just after 8:00am) and they were talking about this but no mention of JV. They had a guest (some TSN insider I think) and they asked him if he believed Tanev + CBJ 2nd was enough to land the 3rd OA pick and he said yes, he thought so. They went on to talk about how bad Dallas is defensively and now that they have Hitchcock coaching, he'll want a defensive defenseman. He also said Jim Nill believes they have a small window to compete and if Bishop and Hitchcock bomb then that will probably be the end of the line for Nill. So he made it sound like Dallas would take that deal no problem because they need help now and Tanev is exactly the type of player that they need.

It was earlier.  

Archived