The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If all Tanev can return is what this (clearly Leaf's biased) reporter suggests, then Tanev remains here.  My goodness!  Seriously?  The guy suggests Leaf's crap scraps for (what he himself said) is the best shot suppression dman in the league.  Ha Ha Ha

We will not trade with TO, because the Leafs desire what we have.  The Leafs will be garbage in their own end with the selfish one-way forwards they have.  They get NO help from us.  LOSER LEAFS....

Canucks are being offered Ballard, Raymond and a first, and people are jumping all over it ;)

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I look at it this way. 

Whichever team that is willing to offer up the best individual piece is the clear frontrunner, and the most likely to get the deal done. 

One thing that has to be made clear is that we're not looking for a package here. In terms of prospects and young players, we have pretty decent forward depth, and though our D depth is lacking with the Tryamkin bolting to the KHL, I'm guessing the next 2 drafts will change that quite substantially.

Simply put, we need quality now. Not B prospects like Kapanen, mid-late rd picks, or reclamation projects like Kane. Whoever has the best individual piece to offer up wins the Tanev sweepstakes, even if we have to add to it. 

That'd be my bottom line.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think this is where us and Tampa are perfect trade partners. They have a bunch of elite young forwards and they won't be able to keep all of them, as well as they need right handed defensemen. Drouin, Callahan, and the 14th for Tanev and the 64th. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If all Tanev can return is what this (clearly Leaf's biased) reporter suggests, then Tanev remains here.  My goodness!  Seriously?  The guy suggests Leaf's crap scraps for (what he himself said) is the best shot suppression dman in the league.  Ha Ha Ha

We will not trade with TO, because the Leafs desire what we have.  The Leafs will be garbage in their own end with the selfish one-way forwards they have.  They get NO help from us.  LOSER LEAFS....

If that was significant, even just a little bit, their would be an award for it.   I don't even know where I can find that stats on nhl.com.  Pretty sure it's a non-factor when they analyse the Norris candidates.

Also the articles doesn't say that this is all Tanev can get...it says that if the Leafs are outbid, that this is the maximum the leafs should give.  Clearly the Leafs are not in a position to empty all their depth for a guy like Tanev, who could help them, but not turn them into a contender instantly. 

Geez this is Chris Tanev not Bobby Orr.

23 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Geez this is Chris Tanev not Bobby Orr.

Maybe so, but we happen to be in a pretty enviable position when it comes to Tanev. 

We have him, other teams want him, his no trade clause hasn't kicked in yet, and even when it does, it only gives him the option of 8 teams he doesn't want to go to.

We're in a position to get a bit of a bidding war going, and with the weaknesses of teams like the Leafs/Stars and other so apparent, there's no reason to think teams wouldn't pay out the ass to land him.

And even if they aren't, that's cool too. We'll just hold onto him and see if we can swing a better deal next off season.

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Maybe so, but we happen to be in a pretty enviable position when it comes to Tanev. 

We have him, other teams want him, his no trade clause hasn't kicked in yet, and even when it does, it only gives him the option of 8 teams he doesn't want to go to.

We're in a position to get a bit of a bidding war going, and with the weaknesses of teams like the Leafs/Stars and other so apparent, there's no reason to think teams wouldn't pay out the ass to land him.

And even if they aren't, that's cool too. We'll just hold onto him and see if we can swing a better deal next off season.

Toronto for a top young rookie

New Jersey packaged for the 1OA

Dallas for the 3OA

Buffalo for Kane

Colorado for Landeskog or Duchesne

Tanev is one in demand for sure.

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

There's also the ED where a ton of teams are losing a #4D and a pretty soft UFA D market this summer to replace them. Now's the time to strike IMO. The market's not bound to get any better for Tanev in the next few years than around the ED this summer.

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Agree, but again if Tanev's FMV is $100, our strong position will allow us to maybe get $110, $115 for Tanev.   Not $500 like some are suggesting with Reinhart, D. Strome, or straight-up the 3rd overall.

It can pay off to wait longer, or it could backfire like Kesler and Luongo.    If Tanev gets injured and misses 40-50 games next year, his stock will drop significantly as he's already starting to get a reputation of an injury-prone player, after that it would be pretty much confirmed.   It's a gamble.

27 minutes ago, J.R. said:

There's also the ED where a ton of teams are losing a #4D and a pretty soft UFA D market this summer to replace them. Now's the time to strike IMO. The market's not bound to get any better for Tanev in the next few years than around the ED this summer.

I wonder if Tanev's value goes up even more in those few days between the Expansion Draft and the Entry Draft?

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if Tanev's value goes up even more in those few days between the Expansion Draft and the Entry Draft?

I expect it to... once teams who chose the 7-3-1 protection lose a valuable D.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Agree, but again if Tanev's FMV is $100, our strong position will allow us to maybe get $110, $115 for Tanev.   Not $500 like some are suggesting with Reinhart, D. Strome, or straight-up the 3rd overall.

If Tanev is worth $100, none of those are anywhere near $500, especially the lotto ticket.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Probably. Narrow window though, No? Doesn't his ntc kick in July 1st. Almost paints us in a corner if he's moved that late. 

1 minute ago, BO_Scorvat said:

What about Tanev for the 8th and Evander Kane from Buffalo, then you pick Makar or Petterson with the 8th and glass or vilardi with the 5th 

I think we would have to add: Virtanen and Tanev?

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

It can pay off to wait longer, or it could backfire like Kesler and Luongo.    If Tanev gets injured and misses 40-50 games next year, his stock will drop significantly as he's already starting to get a reputation of an injury-prone player, after that it would be pretty much confirmed.   It's a gamble.

3rd pick is still an unknown as to how that player develops.  #3 is a good guess at a solid NHL player but still a guess.   I suspect a team would be quite happy if that player turned into a Tanev if a defenseman was selects at #3.  

It depends wholly on Dallas.   If they feel they can get into the playoffs and push with the team they have with the addition of Tanev they may not want to wait on how #3 develops.   Timing is everything for both the Stars and the Canucks.  I don't think it is far fetched to think that the planets could align and a trade could happen for #3.

Archived