The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-2018 line up (with what we have)

Caniners77

2 hours ago, combover said:

So when furland or some other clown starts running around with cheap shots who's  going to stop them? Just curious where the push back comes from? even just hitting/forechecking  is absent.

with the signings and current NHL contracts I don't see boeser or Goldie in van this season(neither require waivers) atleast not as regulars. 

biega holm pedan require waivers as well. 

How about we score on the power play. Funny how that has a way of reducing the cheap shots. 

25 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Whoever those people are, never ever listen to them again because they are total and complete idiots.  Brock could clean up his stride and make it more efficient but to question his speed is downright moronic.

Moronic, really.  You may disagree but moronic?  I think that statement might be going a little to far.  Statements like that are a bit extreme and don't really make you look reasonable and objective.

22 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Listening to Benning

Today the prospects will have to beat out the vets..if not back to the minors. Might be some sad people if virtanen border or Goldie might end up inUtica

true ...  but they wont be sad when they are developed correctly and excel in a couple years ..  

Sedin - Sedin - Rodin

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Eriksson - Gagner - Granlund

Gaunce - Sutter - Burmistrov

Dorsett (IR?)

Virtanen/Goldobin/Boucher/Chaput/Megna <--- They could all start in the minors. The Rodin/Boeser wing positions will be up for grabs in camp. 

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

MDZ - Tanev

Wiercioch, Biega

Markstrom

Nilsson

We've been figuring it was Tanev to be on the move, but with the addition of two LHD could it be that Edler is (rightly, considering his age and LHS) first out the door?  Perhaps he is packaged up with Baertschi, whose offense may be offset now by Gagner?

Toronto wanted Hamonic and Stone but got neither.  Then today all they got was 36 year old Hainsey.  They REALLY need someone on the right side, so maybe Benning loaded up partially with a view to get Liljegren etc. back?  I think we'll see some moves this summer as the table is looking set for them, but if not, as it currently stands:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Gagner Sutter Erikkson

Dorsett Gaunce Rodin

Burmistrov

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

MDZ Gudbranson

Weircioch Pedan

Markstrom

Nilsson

Holm, Goldobin, Virtanen, Molino to Utica

Boucher, Biega, Chaput, Megna on waivers (Utica)

Dahlen to Utica or Europe

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

We've been figuring it was Tanev to be on the move, but with the addition of two LHD could it be that Edler is (rightly, considering his age and LHS) first out the door? 

Gudbranson almost got traded to the Panthers today for Demers so i would think Guddy is being shopped.

I don't get why we would trade him, we need to give this guy a legit shot.

The Tanev to Toronto theory is intresting...i do think Lilijegren was Bennings guy that he was willing to trade back into the first round for, had he still been available at pick 20 and beyond. The Only problem now is Tanevs new Contract kicked in although he is from Ontario so there is that.

41 minutes ago, canuckmen84 said:

Gudbranson almost got traded to the Panthers today for Demers so i would think Guddy is being shopped.

I don't get why we would trade him, we need to give this guy a legit shot.

The Tanev to Toronto theory is intresting...i do think Lilijegren was Bennings guy that he was willing to trade back into the first round for, had he still been available at pick 20 and beyond. The Only problem now is Tanevs new Contract kicked in although he is from Ontario so there is that.

Where did you hear that Guddy almost got traded?

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Sedin - Sedin - Rodin

Eriksson - Gagner - Granlund

Gaunce - Sutter - Burmistrov

Dorsett (IR?)

Virtanen/Goldobin/Boucher/Chaput/Megna <--- They could all start in the minors. The Rodin/Boeser wing positions will be up for grabs in camp. 

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

MDZ - Tanev

Wiercioch, Biega

Markstrom

Nilsson

I hope the rooks beat out Dorsett and Sutter and we have A line up  of

Sedin, Sedin,Rodin?Goldy

Baer, Bo Brock

Goldy, Gagner, Erickson

Gaunce Burm, Jake

Labate

On D not necessary the combos just who id like to see. Barring any trades. But since we already tried to trade away guudy today And Tanev still A possibility but if not then this 

Edler, Stech

Hutton, Tanev

MDZ, Guddy

OJ , Weichoch

Subban, Pedan first callups  As for OJ only if he leaves them no choice. Last year they said he wasn't quite big enough. Well, he just cracked 200 I think he;s ready. 

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Granlund - Gagne - Goldobin

Virtanen - Burmistrov - Sutter

Gaunce/Rodin

Edler - Hutton

Del Zotto - Tanev

Gudbranson - Stetcher

Markstrom 

Nilsson

Gaunce, Goldobin, Virtanen, and Rodin will be fighting for 2 roster spots on the wing. It'll probably shake down to be between Goldobin or Rodin, and Gaunce or Virtanen.

I gather management hopes that Rodin brings the goods this fall, but my thinking is he's too far removed from meaningful games to place any sort of expectation. Goldobin has already proven too good for the AHL and I hope he's given a shot to play with skilled players. He's definitely my choice, especially considering Rodin's injury problems. 

I hope Virtanen comes to camp like a man possessed. They've invested a lot into this kid and this feels like a do or die scenario for him. Between he and Gaunce, Virtanen brings more speed and a good shot while he lacks consistency from shift to shift. Gaunce has proven to be a sound defender, however it remains to be seen if he can put up points at the next level.

Boeser will start in the NHL unless he really craps the bed (I.e., spends his summer on the Virtanen diet--sniff sniff). Make no mistake, they've already got his banner printed and ready to hang outside Roger's Arena. The guy will figure into their marketing heavily next season and they won't risk not having him there opening night. This is a franchise desperate for a face-- Horvat is great but lacks swagger. He's stable but not electric. Boeser is the Kane to Horvat's Toews.

Hoping for this because I want Utica to be as good as possible:

Sedin Sedin Granlund
Baertschi Horvat Eriksson
Rodin Sutter Ganger
Gaunce Burmistrov Boucher

Dorsett

Edler Stecher
Del Zotto Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Wiercioch McEneny

Marky
Nilsy

Don't think it's that realistic though, as some of the young guys are good enough to beat out some of the older guys to spots. The D I'm happy with though. Unless Juolevi takes a spot, I don't see the point of exposing Wiercioch and McEneny to waivers. The one guy who I might keep off waivers instead of those 2 could be Biega, just because I think his experience, and physicality could have a bit more value to other teams. McEneny is still an unknown, so hard for a team to put him right onto their roster compared to Biega.

Utica would then have some combination of:

Boeser Chaput Goldobin
Dahlen Cassels Virtanen

Carcone Molino Megna
MacEwan LaBate Bancks (think he is on AHL deal still)
Laplante D'Aoust McKenzie (if he doesn't go back to the OHL)

Pedan Biega

Holm Subban
Brisebois Chatfield
Cederholm Sautner

Demko

Backman

It's not amazing down the middle by any stretch, but the wings are a lot better.

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

With Gagner's 47% in faceoff and limited number of faceoffs last year, I'm pretty certain he will be a winger here unless one of Horvat, Hank or Sutter get hurt. I am a bit curious if he will be with the Sedins, but they usually thrive more with a player that pursues the puck hard.

This is something I love about JB's new signings. Lots of them can play the wing or center. This gives us plenty of versatility, and having that center depth and guys who can play well defensively and take faceoffs is huge. This is especially the case in the playoffs as we've seen with good center-depth teams like Boston (I think the years they won they had 7 natural centers in their lineup), Pittsburgh, LA and Chicago of course. All of them had centers playing on the wing. 

With that in mind, I think we'll see a fair bit of rotating. Sutter, Gagner, Gaunce and Burmistrov can play center or wing. Sutter with the Sedins is an option that's worked in the past. I'd rather leave Sutter as a center and work around that. Gagner could add a bit of skill to the Horvat line as a winger which is something I think we'll see at some point.

I have been working under the assumption that we won't see Dorsett again after the neck surgery.  

Keep forgetting about Molino, he was my favorite of the various random scrubs that played through the year last year.  Decent size, great speed.  

To say this is a last chance for Jake is a little silly.  Remember he lost most of his draft +1 season to shoulder surgery and rehab then was mismanaged into the league in his D+2 when he wasn't ready and then tried the Brent Sopel diet in D+3 thinking size is all that matters.  The expectation should be a full year of heavy ice time in Utica, he needs the minutes.   Even if he shows well in camp, he should be in Utica for the majority of the season.  His development has been slowed by the keystone cops routine between the Canucks and his choices.  Sometimes young men need to learn to be professionals and need reps and that is easier to get in Utica.

I would personally love to see virtanen, dahlin goldobin, joulevi, holm, subban, demko, Boesr and all other prospects in the AHL and go to the championship playing together, while the vets play to compete in the NHL.

This will do two things:

1) allow the prospects to play and develop chemistry as well as win together. This will mean when they jump to NHL they'll know each other's game

2) allow our big club to be competitive every night with NHL talent and at deadline if we are a bubble team, then we can do a massive sell off and pick top 5 again.

I expect our forward lineup to be:

Sedin-sedin-granlund/rodin

Baer-horvat-gagner

Gaunce-sutter-eriksson

Boucher-burmistrov-granlund/Rodin

Dorset/Megan/chaput on the outside with chaput, and Megna likely playing in AHL with all our prospects.

I'm personally excited for the future with these moves.

No matter who we keep with the big club, and who goes to junior or utica, this is a year we will see a crazy large amount of players on waivers. We may lose the odd one, but its highly unlikely, not many teams want the scraps off a last place team. What we will have though, irregardless of whether we send youth or vets down, is we finally will have NHL capable players on the farm, and our lineup wont suffer when we face injuries.

Benning has been attempting to have this environment since he started, and i expect this to be the norm moving forward. 5 or 6 players that could or even should be in the nhl, but arent because they have to be better then minimum nhl players to crack the roster.

Baerstchi-Horvat-Eriksson - #1 Deployment

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund - secondary scoring 

Rodin-Gagner-Boeser/Boucher/Goldobin Scoring Third Line - competition for spots 

Gaunce-Sutter-Dorsett -checking/defensive line

MDZ-Tanev

Edler-Stecher 

Hutton-Gudbranson

Markstrom

Nilsson

Archived