The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-2018 line up (with what we have)

Caniners77

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

The twins will always need a "fetcher/carrier" high work rate player on their line. That is why Granlund was such a good fit and why Goldobin isn't imo.

Theoretically, I agree with your assessment.

However, I seem to remember Goldy playing pretty well when he was put on the twin line last season.  Basically, my reasoning is that Goldy could use the confidence boost that getting points off of the Sedin's could provide.

So, I hear that Boeser has worked on his skating and is flying now, and Juolevi put on some bulk and is at 200 lbs. To me, it doesn't seem to make much sense to send Olli back to the OHL for another year playing against kids, when he seems ready for a shot at the NHL. Benning recently brought in 2 D and 3 F, to create competition at camp, but if Boeser and Juolevi are ready, what are the odds that Burmistrov and Rodin end up in Utica?

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Gagner

Boucher - Gaunce - Dorsett

Edler - Stecher

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Juolevi

Burmistrov, Virtanen, Goldobin, Rodin, Wiercioch and Holm in Utica?

On 03/07/2017 at 11:11 AM, Virtanen#18 said:

You can tell Boeser has the natural talent to fit right in. If he keeps up in preseason, we should give me a chance. The fans here are hungry for exciting prospects like Virtanen and Boeser!

I think if his defensive game is sound, if he can keep up with the teams plays and systems, and if he can manage the pro schedule as apposed to the college schedule then I agree that they will make room for him and he will stay. Although we now have the bodies to buy some time for our prospects to develop properly and in winning environments. If Boesser, Goldobin, VIrtanen, Moligno, etc can win a Calder Cup together with Demko and Brisbois, McEwan, McKenzie, Subban, Cassels, etc. then I think that will make for a great experience for them. Aslso it would  be cool if Juolevi plays a season on Pettersson & Dahlen's team in Europe!! Then in the next couple years we can slowly add prospects when they earn it. #cuprun2021

On 02/07/2017 at 5:01 PM, dpn1 said:

I saw him once live at a game and saw the rest of his games on TV (for clarification). :)

The difference between thinking at the NHL level while playing within a new team's systems and raw foot speed were not conveyed through either medium it seems.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, I hear that Boeser has worked on his skating and is flying now, and Juolevi put on some bulk and is at 200 lbs. To me, it doesn't seem to make much sense to send Olli back to the OHL for another year playing against kids, when he seems ready for a shot at the NHL. Benning recently brought in 2 D and 3 F, to create competition at camp, but if Boeser and Juolevi are ready, what are the odds that Burmistrov and Rodin end up in Utica?

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Gagner

Boucher - Gaunce - Dorsett

Edler - Stecher

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Juolevi

Burmistrov, Virtanen, Goldobin, Rodin, Wiercioch and Holm in Utica?

I think you're pretty close though Megna is signed (it's like everyone wants to pretend it never happened) and Boucher isn't yet.

I'd even think Gaunce could be at risk of being waived if Burmistrov out-performs him. He's not a Benning pick, and he was of zero value to Las Vegas.

Rodin might get a look at the NHL level, meaning Boeser/Goldobin could spend some time in Utica. I think Boeser is closer to being an every day NHL'er than Goldobin but there's no hurting either guy's development by sending them all to Uitica. Especially if there is a decent collection of talent there; it's not like Virtanen last year where he gets sent down to play with a team of lifer AHL'ers for the most part.

Curious to see what happens with Juolevi. I'd give him some games at the start of the year and then send him back to the OHL.

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Theoretically, I agree with your assessment.

However, I seem to remember Goldy playing pretty well when he was put on the twin line last season.  Basically, my reasoning is that Goldy could use the confidence boost that getting points off of the Sedin's could provide.

The main problem as I see it though is that the Sedins need someone who will make THEM tick, they are not really there to make the third man look good.

I actually don't think it would be good for Goldobin either in the long run. I suppose as long as the Sedin line is not the top line it might be ok but we must remember Goldy, although decent with the Sedins for a very short time, was nowhere near as good as Granlund was with them.

I suppose at the end of the day Green will experiment with a few combinations just as Willie did.

7 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

The main problem as I see it though is that the Sedins need someone who will make THEM tick, they are not really there to make the third man look good.

Ehh. I kind of disagree with this. The Sedins will be 37 in September and are in the last year of their contracts. The last, best thing that they can do for this franchise in the final year/years of their NHL careers would be to help our young players along by feeding them imo.

While again, I agree that Granlund is a better fit, I think that Granlund would be able to play on any line and have a fair amount of success. I don't see the same happening for Goldobin, which is why I'd like to see him start on a line that is guaranteed to net him some points. 

I suppose it doesn't matter though, as I'm sure both guys will get ample opportunity to play with the twins over the course of the season.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Ehh. I kind of disagree with this. The Sedins will be 37 in September and are in the last year of their contracts. The last, best thing that they can do for this franchise in the final year/years of their NHL careers would be to help our young players along by feeding them imo.

While again, I agree that Granlund is a better fit, I think that Granlund would be able to play on any line and have a fair amount of success. I don't see the same happening for Goldobin, which is why I'd like to see him start on a line that is guaranteed to net him some points. 

I suppose it doesn't matter though, as I'm sure both guys will get ample opportunity to play with the twins over the course of the season.

My point would be that Goldy is too fast to play with the Sedins and yet he is not physical enough to make space for them, back check for them and go to the net. Granlund is also pretty quick but he is a much grittier forechecking and back checking player.

Last season or not we still are in a position where we need the Sedins to put up numbers. As I say interesting times ahead. We can maybe revisit this topic in December. :)

With all the free agent signings and emerging prospects, this will be a VERY competitive preseason and training camp. There are so many different variables and interchangeable players.

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Burmistrov-Sutter-Eriksson

Rodin-Gagner-Dorsett

Gaunce

Edler-Stecher

Del Zotto-Tanev

Gudbranson-Hutton

Wiercioch

Markstrom

Nilsson

24 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

My point would be that Goldy is too fast to play with the Sedins and yet he is not physical enough to make space for them, back check for them and go to the net. Granlund is also pretty quick but he is a much grittier forechecking and back checking player.

Last season or not we still are in a position where we need the Sedins to put up numbers. As I say interesting times ahead. We can maybe revisit this topic in December. :)

I just worry about Goldy. The thought of him playing with Sutter bothers me, considering that I feel Goldy is a player that needs to use his linemates in order to be successful,  while Sutter's possession game and playmaking ability is pretty poor. Granlund hits me as the type of player that can create his own opportunities and connect with them, hence the low assist/high goal total. 

That's why I'm so high on the addition of Gagner, and really hope he isn't switched to the wing to start the season. We have a decent glut of offensive minded/high potential young guys in or on the cusp of breaking into the lineup, and before the Gagner signing, we only had 2 centers that could playmake at a high level, and with Daniel/Henrik and Bo/Sven being locks, we only had a couple of slots available on those two lines. Now we have another center that can make plays at a high level, so I really hope that if Goldy isn't on the twin line, that he gets to play on a line centered by Gagner.

Also, I will admit that the prospect of a full season of a fully healed Granlund playing on a line with the Sedins is pretty droolworthy. Granlund is my darkhorse candidate to be the next breakout star for the Canucks, as I truly believe he has the best offensive instincts of anybody on the team (Outside of maybe Boeser). I think he surprises a lot of people next year and has a 25-25 + season. That's why seeing his name thrown into so many trade proposals irks me the way it does. 

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think if his defensive game is sound, if he can keep up with the teams plays and systems, and if he can manage the pro schedule as apposed to the college schedule then I agree that they will make room for him and he will stay. Although we now have the bodies to buy some time for our prospects to develop properly and in winning environments. If Boesser, Goldobin, VIrtanen, Moligno, etc can win a Calder Cup together with Demko and Brisbois, McEwan, McKenzie, Subban, Cassels, etc. then I think that will make for a great experience for them. Aslso it would  be cool if Juolevi plays a season on Pettersson & Dahlen's team in Europe!! Then in the next couple years we can slowly add prospects when they earn it. #cuprun2021

Care needs to be taken with our prospects. I would hope that management learned something from Virtanen's situation. I'd rather see a little too much caution than not enough. I'm hoping Boeser and Juolevi spend, at least, one season in Utica before they make the jump to the NHL, just to be sure they are ready for a grueling pro season.

Benning said they brought in the 5 UFAs to create competition at camp for the spots. I guess their competition is Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Holm and Juolevi.

What if Juolevi outperforms Wiercioch? And what if Boeser and Goldobin outperform Burmistrov and Rodin? In fact, I see these things happening.

Does that mean Wiercioch, Burmistrov and Rodin end up in Utica? Those guys only have 1 year contracts. I can't see them being wasted in Utica. I'm not sure there's an actual "competition", but it's already been decided that the kids will spend the season developing in Utica, and maybe being called up for some games. Juolevi might still stick, I'm not sure sending him back to the Knights will help accelerate his development.

4 hours ago, 250Integra said:

With all the free agent signings and emerging prospects, this will be a VERY competitive preseason and training camp. There are so many different variables and interchangeable players.

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Burmistrov-Sutter-Eriksson

Rodin-Gagner-Dorsett

Gaunce

Edler-Stecher

Del Zotto-Tanev

Gudbranson-Hutton

Wiercioch

Markstrom

Nilsson

This is close 

But where is all the YOUTH we are supposed to have 

JB will need to be busy if any of the young guys deserve to play

( I think most will start in the A like Stetcher did last year then get the call - up )

Cause we can't be losing players like we did with FC during a rebuild 

Cause if waiver eligible players are not staying (Pedan/Holm/Boucher/ETC) then trade them 

Even if its for a late rounder as we may get lucky (Gaudette)

Sedin - Sedin - Rodin/Goldobin

Baertsch - Horvat -  Boeser/Rodin

Granlund  -  Sutter  -  Eriksson

Gagner -  Burmistrov  -  Dorsett

Gaunce/Boucher

Edler  -   Stecher

Del Zotto  -   Tanev

Hutton  -   Gudbranson

Wiercioch / Biega /  Pedan  /  Holm

Markstrom

Nilsson

This is the lineup I'd like to see but I know we won't:

Bear - Bo - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Eriksson- Sutter - Granlund

Rodin -Gagner/Burmistrov 

Dorsett Gaunce 

not much grit or size but more offence 

I don't think there is any chance that Boeser doesn't make the team next year. I say this not only because he out performed everyone at the end of the year, but I think part of him signing rather than going back to college was a promise that he would be guaranteed ice time in the big leagues. 

3 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Is Dahlen staying in NA this year?

He says he wants to make the team and I believe he has not yet committed to a team if he does not. There is the chance he goes back to Europe or he could play in Utica. I wouldn't mind seeing him playing with Petterson again this coming year to work on there chemistry and develop together so they can both come over in 2018-2019 and just crush it at the NHL level. 

I want to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Boeser/Eriksson

Baerstchi-Horvat-Eriksson/Boeser

Granlund-Sutter-Gagner

Rodin-Gaunce-Dorsett

Burmistrov/Goldobin - The only top 6 spot up for grabs is Boeser's and I do not see him losing it at camp

Edler-Stecher

MDZ/Hutton-Tanev

Hutton/MDZ-Gudbranson

Wiercoch - I think Juolevi will either be the 7th Dman out of camp, based off the expectation we will have many injuries or go to Finland for the year and make the team next year.

Archived