The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] EDM trades Eberle to NYI for Ryan Strome

Even Oilers fans are poking fun at their gm and he kinda has a label of losing trades.

canucks fans who dislike benning.

im not forcing you to like him.

baertchi who is from the same draft year as strome, outscored strome in fewer games.

we traded a late 2nd rounder for him.

Strome os not a 3rd line player as he suppose a top 3, and not even hold down a top 6 role.

he also traded Taylor hall for Adam larrson, who gets outscored by 3 Canuck players without a mcdavid.

he also traded the 16th and 33rd pick in 2015 for griffin reinhart, who got claimed by vegas  ultimately destroying those 2 assets.

cap dump my ass.  Cap relief for what ? Does it mean you lose trades?  If for what ever reason we need to free up cap room I still want a fair deal. 

Terrible trade for Edmonton.  My gosh are they lucky to get mcdavid.

Why does everybody keep saying Edmonton needs defensive help? They have a really good minute munching 1st pairing with Klefbom and Larsson, a very decent 2nd pairing with Sekera and Russel (assuming he signs) and a 3rd pairing with Darnell Nurse and Benning that are quite adequate. They may not have a lot of depth after their top 6 but they certainly aren't in dire need of adding a defenceman, let alone a top d-man. 

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Why does everybody keep saying Edmonton needs defensive help? They have a really good minute munching 1st pairing with Klefbom and Larsson, a very decent 2nd pairing with Sekera and Russel (assuming he signs) and a 3rd pairing with Darnell Nurse and Benning that are quite adequate. They may not have a lot of depth after their top 6 but they certainly aren't in dire need of adding a defenceman, let alone a top d-man. 

Like the Eberle trade because it frees up Cap dollars for the two guys they need to keep: McDavid and Draisatl.

19 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I just dont think this trade cements that statement that they are the worst managed tho.

This trade has little to do with cementing, how poorly they are managed..

Please look at their draft history in the last 10 years. 

Dal Colle 5th overall

Reinhart 4th overall

Strome 5th overall

Niederreiter 5th overall

Look at the trades they've made and the assets they've gave away.

Niederreiter, Moulson, Vanek all come to mind

All for way a total of 10 playoffs games.  And that's just in the last 10 years. 

Go back even further.  Deiptro fiscal, Yashin ordeal,  Luongo trade, Chara give away,  I don't know if you can name any other team with more top 10 picks that have flopped than the islanders, since 1989 (the last 28 years) they've had, 22 top 10 picks (15 of them were top 5 or better)....

Only twice in those 28 years did they make it past the 2nd round. 

and that's just on the surface.  My good buddy colliton played with them and the horror stories you hear about how incredible cheap they were to the players, really makes you understand why they've accomplished nothing. 

I can't think of a bigger joke of an organization that last 30 years than the Islanders.  and sadly it doesn't look like it's going to get any better for them. 

12 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I really doubt they are banking on Strome as their second line C. He didn't exactly excel as a C in New York.

I would think he will be a winger an fill in C for injuries

Drai would be 2nd line C, strome 3rd line C

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is RNH a player we really want to rebuild around?  It didn't go too well in Edmonton.

you don't think the canucks could build around a local, 24 year old, former 1st overall center who has underperformed by averaging 55 points per 82 games for his career?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like the Eberle trade because it frees up Cap dollars for the two guys they need to keep: McDavid and Draisatl.

I agree with you Alf (can't believe I am saying that). Eberle's goose was cooked when he started last season on McDavid's line and failed to stay there, followed by his no show in the playoffs. Eberle's salary dump is the deciding factor for me in giving the edge to Edmonton in this trade.

Well I will hold judgement on this deal until next season.  Everyone here lambasted the Hall/Larsson deal from the coilers perspective during the offseason but that deal didn't look too bad when everyone started playing. 

Not sure why so many are screaming about this being a bad deal for EDM? They got younger, shed cap have Pulj to replace Eberle and can now likely afford to move/package RNH for D as well (while likely shedding further salary).

I'm more curious WTF the NYI's are doing. I mean Eberle's probably a moderate upgrade on Strome (albeit with that cap hit and likely only reg season) but this seems to me far more like they helped EDM out more than themselves. I would have demanded a pick (2nd?) back or something.

Not like EDM can draft beyond the 1st, just be wasted on them anyway :lol:

11 minutes ago, tas said:

you don't think the canucks could build around a local, 24 year old, former 1st overall center who has underperformed by averaging 55 points per 82 games for his career?

I mean, we could,  but we wouldn't enjoy much success against other teams in the west if we're building around RNH.  Hes a huge let down. I'd rather us stay  the course and build through the draft.

6 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't care about him being a local kid but I would very much like to have him on the Canucks. He is overshadowed now by McDavid (who wouldn't be) but he is a very, very good hockey player. He plays in all situations and really seems to have embraced more of a 2 way defensive role for the betterment of the team. He would be a great add to our team IMHO.

5 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I mean, we could,  but we wouldn't enjoy much success against other teams in the west if we're building around RNH.  Hes a huge let down. I'd rather us stay  the course and build through the draft.

I bet you wanted to scrap the sedins in their mid-twenties, too, since nugent hopkins numbers compare favourably with theirs. he's 6 months younger than sven baertschi for crying out loud. 

rnh will break out if given a prominent role on a team somewhere, i have no doubt. he reminds me a ton of henrik sedin.

edit: not to mention that not only would my proposed trade not prevent the team from building through the draft, it would actually ENHANCE it. 

21 minutes ago, tas said:

The Canucks could do worse, but then again he comes with a $6 million cap hit, and there are a bunch of age conscious types around here that baulk at the team bringing in "older" players. And what would have to be given up to get him, even considering something taken off of the pile for cap considerations?

regards,  G.

3 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

The Canucks could do worse, but then again he comes with a $6 million cap hit, and there are a bunch of age conscious types around here that baulk at the team bringing in "older" players. And what would have to be given up to get him, even considering something taken off of the pile for cap considerations?

regards,  G.

my suggestion was tanev and 55 overall for rnh and 22 overall. canucks take on $1.55 mil/year additional salary.

I could even live it with it if the canucks had to throw in 33 overall instead of 55 overall.

that said, if you believe the oilers, they're not in the market for a dman. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

my suggestion was tanev and 55 overall for rnh and 22 overall. canucks take on $1.55 mil/year additional salary.

I could even live it with it if the canucks had to throw in 33 overall instead of 55 overall.

Well, they were fairly good. This does not mean to say that they couldn't be better, and that getting a guy like Tanev wouldn't help them, a lot.

regards,  G.

12 minutes ago, tas said:

Their D is fine. I mean if they could upgrade somewhere in their top 4 (largely offensively), they'd be wise to do so but it's not a pressing need. And Tanev doesn't add offense/they've already got Larsson for Tanev's role.

Archived