The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] EDM trades Eberle to NYI for Ryan Strome

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Let's ask the honest question here to you and the rest who responded to me

Do ANY of you seriously still see Tavares as an Islander after this season.  Anyone at all, seriously?

I don't.  That would leave Lee and Nelson as your defacto 1st and 2nd line centers.   Still think that deth is that good?  I'd put it on a par with vancouver right now but a shade more developed and with a Barzal in the pool

I've been wondering the same thing. The bldg thing could p*ss a guy off. Lousy way to build a fanbase.

Josi & RyJo for TAVARES!

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Man, I wake up in Japan to find the rich getting richer. Feels like I'm already commenting on 'yesterday's news'..Wait! I actually AM commenting on yesterday's news.

So are we sending a Tanev, Sutter & 2017 1st for RNH & Poolparty?

No, I believe some folks are still trying to include Sbisa iin that deal.

regards,  G.

11 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Nice to wear those 20/20 hindsight glasses when evaluating a trade, right?

Off hand, how many trades in a year (a % will do) would you describe as a "success" for at least one of the teams involved? There are a number of neutral deals each season like minor leaguer for minor leaguer. And of those trades which you have noted as being a "success", which then became a failure because of some unforeseen event? 

NHL situation: Chris Pronger. Was the trade to the Flyers a success or a failure? They got to a Cup finals in 2010 with him, and then injuries pretty much ended his time in Philly.

regards,  G.

Hindsight is how you review and evaluated decisions,  When playing blackjack do you simple bet and then walk away without waiting for the flip.   Hindsight does give people a free pass, not when the other options were worth considerations,  Stating canucks should have taken Nylander instead of Virtanen, was a reasonable consideration.  Stating canucks should have taken Arvidsson instead of Virtanen is a different story.  But next time you mess up and or make a wrong decision, just tell your stakeholders "hey hindsight, am i right"?  See how long you'll keep you're job...

Perfection isn't expected but results are a must and NYI has not got results, not for 30 years.  You can try to spin it any way you want it doesn't change the fact that they are a bottom market team.

@NUCKER67 made a good post summarizing Gillis' draft picks.  At the time those pick could have seemed logical, but in hindsight they never panned out....And guess what GM got fired and hasn't been involved in the NHL since........NHL is a results base business, it's a get it done league, not a try league. 

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Hindsight is how you review and evaluated decisions,  When playing blackjack do you simple bet and then walk away without waiting for the flip.   Hindsight does give people a free pass, not when the other options were worth considerations,  Stating canucks should have taken Nylander instead of Virtanen, was a reasonable consideration.  Stating canucks should have taken Arvidsson instead of Virtanen is a different story.  But next time you mess up and or make a wrong decision, just tell your stakeholders "hey hindsight, am i right"?  See how long you'll keep you're job...

Perfection isn't expected but results are a must and NYI has not got results, not for 30 years.  You can try to spin it any way you want it doesn't change the fact that they are a bottom market team.

@NUCKER67 made a good post summarizing Gillis' draft picks.  At the time those pick could have seemed logical, but in hindsight they never panned out....And guess what GM got fired and hasn't been involved in the NHL since........NHL is a results base business, it's a get it done league, not a try league. 

So what you're saying is (as an example) that right now Nylander or Ehlers are the better player and therefore Benning is an idiot for not taking them, but if those guys regress to the point that they becomes a career AHLer, or they go back to Europe or they retire due to an injury, and Virtanen comes booming out of the gate for the rest of his career, then Benning suddenly becomes a genius. 

regards,  G.

PS - where do you stand on the big McNally for a 7th round pick (Tate Olson) trade?

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

are your trying for @-Vintage Canuck-'s job here? :lol:

I wonder where this leaves Puljujarvi and RNH? Please Jim... Tanev for JP...... 

4 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

I guess I am lol

Been busy lately. Thanks, Adarsh Sant.

I think it's a deal that each team desperately needed to make. Maybe a slight advantage to the Islanders.

7 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

So what you're saying is (as an example) that right now Nylander or Ehlers are the better player and therefore Benning is an idiot for not taking them, but if those guys regress to the point that they becomes a career AHLer, or they go back to Europe or they retire due to an injury, and Virtanen comes booming out of the gate for the rest of his career, then Benning suddenly becomes a genius. 

I never said Benning is an idiot but it's clear as day that Virtanen will never amount to Nylander.  Taking virtanen instead of the other options was a wrong decision, anyone who disagrees needs to take of the blinders because zero people involved in hockey would agree.  Could jake turn it around an become an NHLer sure.  Will he ever be as good as nylander...very, very unlikely. 

7 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

PS - where do you stand on the big McNally for a 7th round pick (Tate Olson) trade?

First ask yourself how much relevance that has on future team impact and then reconsider if that's even a worth while question in asking?

It’s funny how it works, if a GM picks a player and he doesn’t turn out. It gets written off as, hindsight/ it’s too hard to predict the future of 18 year olds. 

But if a GM picks a player and he does turn out it’s, That GM is just a god at drafting..

Sounds like a bit of a double standard.

Just for one second try breaking down your thought process.  You have set up fail safe that no matter what, a GM can not be held accountable for their actions as long as there was "some" logic behind their decision.  If that was the case than why do so many GM get fired. 

OIlers lose the better player, but get the cap flexibiity.  Not a bad trade in that sense, but I'd have to think they couls have held out for a better player than Strome.  He is nothing more than a replacement level player.

6 hours ago, Zhukini said:

So glad we weren't in on Eberle. He'll be known as a great WJC player and overrated NHLer

Guy consistently puts up 50-60 points no? Good second line guy drafted 22nd overall. He's pretty much what we're hoping Goldobin or Boeser to be. With a bit more production in the playoffs of course.

21 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Guy consistently puts up 50-60 points no? Good second line guy drafted 22nd overall. He's pretty much what we're hoping Goldobin or Boeser to be. With a bit more production in the playoffs of course.

I don't know how much you watch him but he's a right place in the right time player that doesn't do much else.

Basically Vrbata

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

At the time??  Seriously, at the time doesn't help you win games. At the time doesn't make you a competitive team, running a team is a business and businesses want results.  One or two missed picks, sure but when you're batting up 20%, it's simply pour.

You listed 4-6 decent players in 10 year span.....

Yashin deal  yashin trade, Dipetro deal, Luongo trade, Chara trade, Okposo swap with Ladd,  the crazying this going on and on for that franhcise.

Calgary has an arena to play in, they aren't getting booted. 

Again Logic doesn't improve your team, results do.  Just think about what you're saying.  What move do GM's with the intent to fail?  Every move teams make has some logic behind, it,  (Ballard, Booth) it doesn't mean that logic trumps the reality of what the results show.  

They traded Moulson, 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick for a UFA player that only played 47 games for them.  No matter how you look at it, that's a massive fail, 

If i'm tavares, i'm getting as far away from that franchise as possible, they are a joke, and no the future isn't bright, 

Well then by your logic every team that doesn't win the Stanley cup is run like crap then - because only results matter and lots of teams don't have cups.

Nashville would be run like crap - Poole did a great job there won best gm of year etc but they didn't get results till this year and that result wasn't the cup.

and you ignored every positive point I made about their drafting.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I never said Benning is an idiot but it's clear as day that Virtanen will never amount to Nylander.  Taking virtanen instead of the other options was a wrong decision, anyone who disagrees needs to take of the blinders because zero people involved in hockey would agree.  Could jake turn it around an become an NHLer sure.  Will he ever be as good as nylander...very, very unlikely. 

And yet, Nylander is one screwed up knee away from Virtanen being the better choice.

You are also sounding like you are caught up in the numbers game, This being said, if Nylander becomes a 50 point guy (pretty likely), and his line mates are 50 point guys, is that better than a line with Virtanen at 40 - 50 points and his line mates each at 60? Yes, it's all hypothetical and what if, but to me you are only thinking what kind of points does the individual get and how does that help the team, rather than how does the player help his team mates to succeed and therefore win games.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

First ask yourself how much relevance that has on future team impact and then reconsider if that's even a worth while question in asking?

Screw relevance chum, what's your opinion on the deal? The 7th round pick becomes Olson who has not been re-signed/offer sheeted by the Canucks. Meanwhile, McNally is still in the Ducks system (albeit at the AHL level). So this counts as a loss for the Canucks, right?

regards,  G.

PS - Baseball. Laters all.

PPS - you also went past the Pronger example without giving an opinion. I'm interested in how that fits in your view.

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Except when the big boys are getting too physical with him in the POs.:o

I'd like to see him in more playoff games before deciding one way or another. Guy is so use to losing in Edmonton not sure he knows how to win. I'm interested to see how he does with NYI. Of course people will just say Tavares inflated his stats, but still interesting all the same.

Good deal, two underperforming top picks swap places. I bet this is what both of them need to kick-start their careers. Strome is probably going to light it up and will probably get the occasional game with McDavid who's about to hit the 100 point mark so expect Strome to really burst out.

Eberle might get Tavares time and those two play a similar style of game which will benefit him too.

Good trade for both teams really.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Well then by your logic every team that doesn't win the Stanley cup is run like crap then - because only results matter and lots of teams don't have cups.

Nashville would be run like crap - Poole did a great job there won best gm of year etc but they didn't get results till this year and that result wasn't the cup.

and you ignored every positive point I made about their drafting.

The bar of success isnt set a Stanley cup. The NHL is a business it's about bringing profit, it's about producing a winning record. Two things the islander don't do. 

Your positive point isn't really positive. You name a couple (6) meh players who've shown some promise but are a long ways to go from being labels a success, In the last 9 years.   Jb found as much NHL talent in 2014 alone. There's drafting is nothing to get excited about. 

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

And yet, Nylander is one screwed up knee away from Virtanen being the better choice.

You are also sounding like you are caught up in the numbers game, This being said, if Nylander becomes a 50 point guy (pretty likely), and his line mates are 50 point guys, is that better than a line with Virtanen at 40 - 50 points and his line mates each at 60? Yes, it's all hypothetical and what if, but to me you are only thinking what kind of points does the individual get and how does that help the team, rather than how does the player help his team mates to succeed and therefore win games.

And jake could magically become the next Crosby and put up 120 point season. Stakeholders care about results not hopes and dreams. Real world not fairytale land. Who's owner is more happy about the current state of those picks?  Not very hard to figure that one out. 

Screw relevance chum, what's your opinion on the deal? The 7th round pick becomes Olson who has not been re-signed/offer sheeted by the Canucks. Meanwhile, McNally is still in the Ducks system (albeit at the AHL level). So this counts as a loss for the Canucks, right?

Its it's not hard to figure out. If you invest $5 into stock and you lose it. How upset are you?  Compare that to investing 50k into a stock and losing it. The impact that decision brings on your overall success rate is what matters. 

regards,  G.

PS - Baseball. Laters all.

PPS - you also went past the Pronger example without giving an opinion. I'm interested in how that fits in your view.

And you ignored my question why gm's get fired quite often because according to you no move made could ever be wrong since everyone makes them with good intentions.  Why did gillis get canned? Surely all his moves had some logic behind it?  

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The bar of success isnt set a Stanley cup. The NHL is a business it's about bringing profit, it's about producing a winning record. Two things the islander don't do. 

Your positive point isn't really positive. You name a couple (6) meh players who've shown some promise but are a long ways to go from being labels a success, In the last 9 years.   Jb found as much NHL talent in 2014 alone. There's drafting is nothing to get excited about. 

Guess we see things completely different.

Cause I like they way they've been drafting recently

Islanders probably win given how they get the more proven guy and potential running mate with Johnny T, but yeah maybe Ryan's career can be like Kassian's (successful reclamation project/ role player) with the Oil.  Savvy (if slightly underwhelming) move by Chia, but also by Snow to exploit a cap-laden team of a star.

Might have to see who wins this one later.

Archived