The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] EDM trades Eberle to NYI for Ryan Strome

1 minute ago, Derp... said:

Edmonton traded Eberle for the a third line winger, and the same amount of cap space we just got from Sbisa being selected in the expansion draft...

Nice to have McDavid to back up any silly decisions you make as GM. 

Even nicer knowing Pool Party can fill that gap left on the wing by Eberle for cheap

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Barzal and Tavares.  Lee and bailey are our versions of Sutter only younger.  Great middle 6 but not true top 6.  I don't see it.

You are SERIOUSLY underrating Anders Lee.

Odd move for Coilers.  I get that they want the cap dump, but why acquire another C when they desperately need Tanev? lol

Maybe they are planning to move RNH.

Anyways...Strome is a promising young C who will do well in Edm.   Isle gonna score +++++ goals in the regular season, but same ol' in the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I don't know man, the Isles center depth is pretty woeful to begin with and moving a center for a winger doesn't do them many favours, neither does adding $6 million in cap space.

I think the biggest take away from this is

The Isles are the WORST managed franchise in the NHL bar none.  The Oilers may have been the worst franchise statistically over a decade but for almost 20 years the Isles have been absolutely horrifically run

Not sure if I agree with woeful.

Top 2 of Tavares and Nelson is better than a lot of teams or arguably = to a lot of NHL teams.

They have Czikas and Quine as Depth Centers. Then they have flex wingers/centers in Lee, Bailey and Beauvillier who is on the rise.

And they have Barzal coming up through the farm.

Hardly woeful in my opinion and Strome if I remember correctly played a lot if not mostly RW for the isles as well? Didn't watch them play much but thats what I thought. And if I remember the staff their wasn't too fond of Strome or wanted more from him.

***Plus keeping your super star Tavares happy before signing him again is important. I do not think they are poorly run. And if Tavares would like to play with Eberle that could work out very well especially with a motivated Eberle. Playing with Tavares in the east could/should elevate him up and above his 70+ pt best season.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Even nicer knowing Pool Party can fill that gap left on the wing by Eberle for cheap

And Pool Party is a better two-way player too.  I hate the Oilers, and want them to be crappy, but (SADLY) I see this trade making them better.

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why would they want or need Strome?  

They have McDavid, Draisatl, RNH, Desharnais and a few more.  All are better centers thus far than Ryan Strome has shown himself to be.  DeHaan or Hamonic are really the only ones that make sense.  Barzal is all but untouchable and Strome is redundant unless they're moving Desharnais or RNH

And there's the update, makes not much sense unless RH or Desharnais are on their way out.

Desharnais is a UFA.....

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

You are SERIOUSLY underrating Anders Lee.

I don't think I am

At 27 years old, I see him at his peak as a 65 point guy for a season or two.  With the right linemates.

But it's the isles we're talking about here.  They won't let that happen

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why would they want or need Strome?  

They have McDavid, Draisatl, RNH, Desharnais and a few more.  All are better centers thus far than Ryan Strome has shown himself to be.  DeHaan or Hamonic are really the only ones that make sense.  Barzal is all but untouchable and Strome is redundant unless they're moving Desharnais or RNH

And there's the update, makes not much sense unless RH or Desharnais are on their way out.

Desharnais is UFA and won't be brought back.

Chiarelli said they are not looking for Ds even with the Sekera injury.  He is counting on internal growth of Nurse and Benning and wants to back bring Russel.  So not surprising that they did not target a D.

McLellan explained that for him Draisaitl is a forward - they don't worry about position because he is equally good at C or on the wing.  They like RNH a lot and thinks he should have a more offensive role - could Strome help that? 

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Odd move for Coilers.  I get that they want the cap dump, but why acquire another C when they desperately need Tanev? lol

Maybe they are planning to move RNH.

Anyways...Strome is a promising young C who will do well in Edm.   Isle gonna score +++++ goals in the regular season, but same ol' in the playoffs.

Strome scored 41 points in 44 playoff games for the IceDogs  a few years back. Maybe they want to rekindle that effort for the post season.

(8 points in 15 playoff games with the Isle couple years ago)

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Not sure if I agree with woeful.

Top 2 of Tavares and Nelson is better than a lot of teams or arguably = to a lot of NHL teams.

They have Czikas and Quine as Depth Centers. Then they have flex wingers/centers in Lee, Bailey and Beauvillier who is on the rise.

And they have Barzal coming up through the farm.

Hardly woeful in my opinion and Strome if I remember correctly played a lot if not mostly RW for the isles as well? Didn't watch them play much but thats what I thought. And if I remember the staff their wasn't too fond of Strome or wanted more from him.

Let's ask the honest question here to you and the rest who responded to me

Do ANY of you seriously still see Tavares as an Islander after this season.  Anyone at all, seriously?

I don't.  That would leave Lee and Nelson as your defacto 1st and 2nd line centers.   Still think that deth is that good?  I'd put it on a par with vancouver right now but a shade more developed and with a Barzal in the pool

1 minute ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

I guess Draisaitl will play on McDavid's wing all year with the Nuge and Strome centering line 2 and 3. 

With the freeing up of Cap space by trading Eberle, will this allow the Oilers to lock up their Crosby and Malkin in McDavid and Draisatl?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is RNH a player we really want to rebuild around?  It didn't go too well in Edmonton.

I think he would take some of the pressure off Bo while we're waiting for the 1C prospect to develop.  Trade him in 3years and pickup a player/prospect in return.

Archived