The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

DRAFT DAY Kaarlsson and early nhl career Karlsson was a turnover machine and very skinny because he was always pushing the play.

He really matured and his decision making and risk taking really improved along with his skills they have gone to a whole nother level of craziness.

Liljegren is very similiar to Karlsson at the same age IMO.

Think you forget Karlsson was a late round pick for a reason

Erik Karlsson went 15 OA

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

To be fair, Erik Karlsson was a high-risk high-reward pick just like Liljegren. He could have easily been a terrible defenceman. At draft day it's hard to really tell but I believe a lot of what we see on the ice 5 years down the line depends on their attitude, motivation and willingness to learn and improve themselves. That's probably why JB picked Pettersson, and probably why all these high risky players pan out - because of their character.

Vilardi and Liljegren slide down the list for whatever reason but one can only assume it's due to bad interviews or character. They're both risky picks, especially Liljegren, but I'd burn a late 1st round pick on him in a heart-beat. Different GMs of course do different things but the way I think of it, I'd rather a safe pick with a top-10 pick and save the risky ones for later on.

I keep hearing about how Vilardi has horrible character and must have tanked his interviews....his post draft interview said otherwise. He came across as very happy go lucky and down to earth. I am not saying that automatically means he has a good attitude when it comes to hockey but I really don't see poor interviews being the reason he slid.

Liljegren falls in the Chychrun category. Both were once projected 1st overall picks (a long time ago) and fall all the way down, yet Chychrun was pretty damn good in his rookie season as a teenager and will only be getting better. I bet Liljegren doesn't play NHL hockey for at least a season but when he does, he's going to be a real double-edged sword similar to Edler. Turnover machine but he'll rack up the points for Toronto.

That's going to be the best damn powerplay in the league for half a decade.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Interesting.  Vegas was talking to Vancouver about moving up for Glass, backed off. 

Maybe Jim said they weren't drafting Glass and gave McPhee a courtesey for him not taking Gaunce.

WINK WINK